REX45 Wharncliffe Interest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which of these models with a Wharncliffe blade would you like in REX45?

1. Wharncliffe Delica
39%
2. Wharncliffe Endella
24%
3. Wharncliffe Endura
13%
4. A different model will reply with what I want in the thread
24%

Total votes: 46

Doeswhateveraspidercan

REX45 Wharncliffe Interest

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have been using my HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica allot lately after sharpening it until now it was using the factory edge.

Enjoying it allot.

Got me wondering if anyone else would like this in REX45 as well as an Endura and a Endella all in wharncliffe blade.

So how about it? What do you think and want?
5-by-5

Re: REX45 Wharncliffe Interest

Post by 5-by-5 »

REX 45 is the HAP40 alternative in Golden. All of your suggestions are from Seki where they use HAP40
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dragonfly.

But if it's Golden, then Manix and Native, but Spyderco already has me covered there. :)

Rex45 Police 4 Wharnie would be pretty interesting too. I doubt the sales numbers would justify it though.
Last edited by TomAiello on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Rex45 Wharncliffe Para2!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

UKPK but WITHOUT burnt orange scales!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 am
That's a great suggestion actually. I would definitely buy that.

And what's a Texan doing going against burnt orange? It's not my favorite color, but I thought someone from Texas would be all about it.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:44 am
Dazen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 am
That's a great suggestion actually. I would definitely buy that.

And what's a Texan doing going against burnt orange? It's not my favorite color, but I thought someone from Texas would be all about it.
Burnt Orange is the color of University of Texas, which was my College’s rival (A&M) when I was there. I was pretty much born and raised to hate that color.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am
REX 45 is the HAP40 alternative in Golden. All of your suggestions are from Seki where they use HAP40
Thank you for that information but I fail to see why it can not be done if the interest is sufficient to warrant a profit for all concerned, after all we just had a cruwear delica recently.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am
Thank you for that information but I fail to see why it can not be done if the interest is sufficient to warrant a profit for all concerned, after all we just had a cruwear delica recently.
It's not so much that it can't happen, but the odds are incredibly slim. Spyderco doesn't generally import steels, unless we're talking Taichung or the other exceptions to the rule, the discontinued K390 P4 G10 and the upcoming Seki K390 line. A dealer might be able to comission a Rex45 Seki model, but I wouldn't hold my breath, especially with the massive amount of Rex45 sprints coming out in the first quarter of this year.

As you said, with enough interest, it might happen, but a dealer would need to see the interest and have a desire to comission a run.

Some of my favorite models are made in Seki, and one of my favorite steels is Rex45. I would love to see Rex45 added to the regular lineup, whether it's in Seki or Golden.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

More Wharncliffe and more REX45. Period.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the obvious.

Yojimbo 2 please...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Can we get a classical style wharn without the giant mass of steel above the edge? Like a centofante iv, Benchmade 440, etc?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For some reason I like Wharncliff shape only in smaller blades, so I voted Delica... though I have to say, "my "REX 45" Wharnie Delica already exists... the HAP 40 one ;)

I know that though these two steels are really similar, REX 45 is run harder (they say).. still I prefer HAP40: I really like the "sandwich" construction with SUS410, and HAP 40 edge retention is already better anyway than I need in real life use (plus it should be easier too sharpen than REX45, but that I don´t know from experience, since I never had REX45)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

For me the Delica is the sweet spot for a Wharncliffe straight edged blade. I haven’t tried a Wharny Dragonfly yet, but I’m sure it would be very useful too.

If the Seki City maker can handle K390, presumably they could deliver a monometal HAP40 line as well. There’s no reason why it can’t be heat treated to be similar to the REX45 Golden run, and it would probably be cheaper too to use the local Hitachi version of the steel.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Maybe seki cannot process the steel in solid form?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hap40 yojimbo 2
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:27 pm
Hap40 yojimbo 2
Yes!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think a Native 5 FRN would be great. I like shorter edges with wharncliffe blades. I find the CS Tuff Lite to be very handy, but a Native would far surpass that.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Enactive wrote: I think a Native 5 FRN would be great. I like shorter edges with wharncliffe blades. I find the CS Tuff Lite to be very handy, but a Native would far surpass that.
I just recently got a cold steel tuff lite and I really like it. Probably my favorite cheap knife and a great work beater. I kept thinking though that whenever the lil native lightweights launch, if we could get a wharncliffe in one of those. (For me personally the backlock). Then there would be a spyderco very similar to that knife but with better steel and better ergos. Ill probably be asking for this once the lil native lightweights are available.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm
Maybe seki cannot process the steel in solid form?
Yes, previously I think that was the case - although it’s no doubt just down to maker preference as well. I believe Moki don’t like to use monometal ZDP189 for example.

If you were set up for simple carbon steels and ingot stainlesses, then no doubt high carbide tool steels would be noticeably more wearing and expensive on tooling and machinery to make.

However, considering G. Sakai who presumably make the Endura family have used monometal ZDP189 for years and now K390, I can’t see why monometal HAP40 at a higher hardness level than the laminated run would be significantly different in its processing demands.