Chaparral LW vs. (new) BM Mini Bugout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
u.w.

Re: Chaparral LW vs. (new) BM Mini Bugout

Post by u.w. »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:13 am
Another issue for me is that BM runs their steel soft.
Wow, that made me laugh out loud. I know they (Benchmade) have run SOME of their steels "soft", but their S30V? I have not ever heard that, nor have I experienced it with the few (yes, bugouts) Benchmade knives I own. In fact, I've experienced quite the opposite with Benchmade's S30V; that being either same hardness or slightly harder. For the knives I've had with that steel, Spyderco and Benchmades, I prefer Benchmades S30V. In my hand, my use, my sharpening, with the two examples of each I've had/have - the S30V on the Benchmades works/seems better.
That said, I like Spyderco knives more because of that thumb hole, but not their S30V steel in the two knives I've had in that steel (Ikutchi and Sage 5). I was.... underwhelmed by the S30V in those two that I had.
Worth stating here, I intend / mean no disrespect. Simply answering to your post with my own in hand experience. Benchmade S30V steel run soft? No, at least not in my experience, or any of the folks I know either.

I will be getting one of the orange mini bugouts - though I do wish it had a thumb hole. I've made a few posts inquiring about Spyderco making a "Hyker" model... A few folks have replied in agreements. Perhaps in time...
Seems it's about a two year turn around from idea and commit to for sale, so...

u.w.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:13 am
Another issue for me is that BM runs their steel soft.
Benchmades S30v has been awesome for me as well, and their M4 was tested and confirmed to be spot on. The only complaint I've heard recently was their 3v being soft on the Bailout.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Not dismissing BM as a bad company, but they ha e had the reputation for running their steels, including S30V, softer than other companies. It makes the knives easier to sharpen. I have quite a number of their knives in various steels and none are as hard as I get from other makers based on use and sharpening. They have their own philosophy for their knife steels, which is different than Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phaust

Post by phaust »

For me the pros of each are:

Chap: Spydie hole, steel, slightly cheaper

Mini Bugout: No choil, Axis lock, edge to handle ratio, weight (even the full size Bugout beats the Chap in weight despite an extra inch of edge), deep carry clip (and free clip replacements), slightly thinner handle
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I prefer the thumb hole and the finger choil by a wide margin. But I also prefer the bolt action locks by a wide margin. Decisions...
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I own several Benchmades, but I quit buying them because Spydies are better in the hand. I know that’s a very broad generalization, but ergos are better on my Spydies for me. I have handled a Bugout briefly and did not care for it because of the feel and the balance. The Chapparal is close to pocket perfection and the steel beats S30V. Any handle flex makes me nervous. If weight is not your primary priority the Chapparal wins in every other way.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dmcblade wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:50 am

So I guess my question is, should I go for the Chap in CTS-XHP or the Mini Bug in S30V?
Hope you´ll share which one you got in the end (and that it will be the Chap... :D ;) ) and how you like it!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dmcblade

Post by dmcblade »

****, thanks for all the replies! Did not expect to get this kind of response. And thanks for the welcome Sal!

After much thought, I'm leaning towards the Chap. I love Spyderco and bought my first one (C26SBK Snap-it) decades ago. Since then I've owned a DF in G-10, and my current carry, a DF2 wharncliffe. I just love the Spyderco aesthetics and functionality. Granted, those I know who have a BM love them, but none of them have owned a Spyderco. The Mini BO may be a great knife, but I don't love the colors or the handle material (w/o liners no less). And I think their price is a bit high for what you get.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

dmcblade wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 am
****, thanks for all the replies! Did not expect to get this kind of response. And thanks for the welcome Sal!

After much thought, I'm leaning towards the Chap. I love Spyderco and bought my first one (C26SBK Snap-it) decades ago. Since then I've owned a DF in G-10, and my current carry, a DF2 wharncliffe. I just love the Spyderco aesthetics and functionality. Granted, those I know who have a BM love them, but none of them have owned a Spyderco. The Mini BO may be a great knife, but I don't love the colors or the handle material (w/o liners no less). And I think their price is a bit high for what you get.
Did you ask the same question on the BM forum?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I love the Axis lock and I like the looks of the Mini-Bugout. I’ll probably get one before too long. The regular Bugout is cool, but never spoke to me enough to actually buy it. I keep waiting for the day when I see a Spyderco with an Axis lock. That would be sweet. :D

Welcome to the forum, DMCBlades.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dmcblade

Post by dmcblade »

Chaparral LW has been ordered (KSF)! Thanks again everyone for the input.

As for the mini BO? I think I'll wait for the price to drop (if it ever will) and for them to offer more understated color combos.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 pm
I love the Axis lock and I like the looks of the Mini-Bugout. I’ll probably get one before too long. The regular Bugout is cool, but never spoke to me enough to actually buy it. I keep waiting for the day when I see a Spyderco with an Axis lock. That would be sweet. :D
I'm not convinced the Axis lock is any better than the original Bolt Action lock that is on the Sage. I feel like they're both a little smoother than the CBBL, but I actually like the CBBL better because it seems to have a stronger close bias for me. I've had a Benchmade Axis lock come open accidentally, but never a CBBL.
phaust

Post by phaust »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:37 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
I'm not convinced the Axis lock is any better than the original Bolt Action lock that is on the Sage. I feel like they're both a little smoother than the CBBL, but I actually like the CBBL better because it seems to have a stronger close bias for me. I've had a Benchmade Axis lock come open accidentally, but never a CBBL.
I don't think the boss(late edit: typo, that should say "bias") is inherent to a lock style but the result of implementation in the spring.

There are people who've lightened their CBBL springs, and I bet the close bias is lessened as a result. I can say from first hand experience that if you make the Axis spring out of thicker wire that the close bias increases.

Just goes to show how much work Spyderco does towards getting those little things right :spyder:
Last edited by phaust on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:48 pm
dmcblade wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 am

Did you ask the same question on the BM forum?
Are you implying that we here might be biased??? ;) ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I've only ever bought one Benchmade; the Bugout. I love the blade, ergonomics, thin profile... but I will never buy another Benchmade. In the first 12-18 months of owning the Bugout I've had three warranty issues, including needing to send it in twice. Once for a bent clip and twice more for broken omega springs. That's with only light-moderate carry over that time. Compare that to the fact that I own a few dozen Spydercos and have never had to return one for warranty issues.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah. Omega springs have always seemed like the achiles heel of the design to me. Plenty of people have said they have never had a problem with them. But others have said they have and it puts me off. Plus I dont like that you need a cutout area to house those springs that can trap dirt and stuff.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:05 pm
I've only ever bought one Benchmade; the Bugout. I love the blade, ergonomics, thin profile... but I will never buy another Benchmade. In the first 12-18 months of owning the Bugout I've had three warranty issues, including needing to send it in twice. Once for a bent clip and twice more for broken omega springs. That's with only light-moderate carry over that time. Compare that to the fact that I own a few dozen Spydercos and have never had to return one for warranty issues.
VooDooChild wrote: Yeah. Omega springs have always seemed like the achiles heel of the design to me. Plenty of people have said they have never had a problem with them. But others have said they have and it puts me off. Plus I dont like that you need a cutout area to house those springs that can trap dirt and stuff.
Right, the Omega springs on my Minigrip (though seldom carried then, almost never nowadays) broke twice on me.

But I have to say BM has a really good customer service: They sent replacement springs to me (and I live in Europe) for free (twice), and it really was not too hard to install these springs.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:37 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Agreed. I wouldn’t say that the Axis is any better than the Bolt Action or CBBL, but I just like how easily it disengages. I also like the BBL, but it I always seem to have difficulty disengaging it with one hand.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal