I really hate wanting a discontinued knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I really hate wanting a discontinued knife

Post by Evil D »

Man there's almost nothing worse for me regarding knives than being a late bloomer to a model I can't readily get now. I can't even find one on secondary market or even used. Curse my oddball tastes!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Re: I really hate wanting a discontinued knife

Post by TomAiello »

I had a similar experience and found it at a small brick and mortar dealer in another state, and convinced them to ship it to me. I literally called around a bunch of dealers asking for what I wanted. It was a weird quest, but it eventually worked out.

What are you looking for?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 pm
I had a similar experience and found it at a small brick and mortar dealer in another state, and convinced them to ship it to me. I literally called around a bunch of dealers asking for what I wanted. It was a weird quest, but it eventually worked out.

What are you looking for?

That's not a bad idea, I've got a local shop I might get lucky with.

I'm trying to not make this a WTB thread, just venting really. This isn't the first time I've come around and decided I had to have something that was years out of production.
~David
stockliman

Post by stockliman »

Patience and have the money ready. Everything turns up for sale in the end. Be ready to jump on it once it does.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

stockliman wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:30 pm
Patience and have the money ready. Everything turns up for sale in the end. Be ready to jump on it once it does.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. Unfortunately this isn't really anything special, not a sprint or anything that most people really wanted when it was available so it's pretty obscure.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There are several of the older models that I'd like to get but I don't want to pay collector prices for them. If I happen to stumble across one that I want for the right price I'll buy it. Otherwise I'll just be content with more modern models
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

Losing a discontinued knife and trying to replace it is how I found this place! Losing that knife was expensive!
JMM

Post by JMM »

There are resources online like country knives (.com) that while they do charge full MSRP, they do have interesting & somewhat eclectic selection, and they are actually nice folks in my experience.... Arizona custom knives is another place to look that I've found a couple older spydies.....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JMM wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:01 pm
There are resources online like country knives (.com) that while they do charge full MSRP, they do have interesting & somewhat eclectic selection, and they are actually nice folks in my experience.... Arizona custom knives is another place to look that I've found a couple older spydies.....
It'll have to be something they're not listing, I've searched for the model name and SKU and only find old outdated listings or sold eBay listings, old Blade Forum posts and such.
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah... I just saw something from like 6 years back that I never knew about. And for what they sold for at the time I hate that I wasnt in the game so to speak.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:17 pm
Yeah... I just saw something from like 6 years back that I never knew about. And for what they sold for at the time I hate that I wasnt in the game so to speak.

Yeah price is part of it but what really bums me out is feeling reluctant to use something that I can't easily replace. This is why I sometimes buy two of a sprint, just in case I ever need or want a second one.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yep. I hate when I come around to a knife after the fact, too. Happens too often.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've been there too, in my knife hobby, my watch hobby, and others. I waited and watched for a long time and finally found many of the item(s) I was looking for. A few eluded me but as time passed my tastes changed and I ended up looking for other things. I learned that even though I yearned for something, if I had found it when I wanted it I would later have sold/traded it and moved on to something else. In one or two instances this ended up saving me a step. But like someone said, keep your money handy and continuously watch and over time you'll have a good chance of finding what you want.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

If you haven't already, I'd suggest saving a search on eBay. It worked for me when I was trying to track down an SE Lil Matriarch.
-Turbo
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m the opposite. I miss the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of finally getting my hands on that disco’ed knife that I worked so hard to find.

I found all my grails years ago...it was a lot of fun.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Since you won't say what model then about what year was it from
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The good news is that Spyderco keeps releasing an endless stream of cool new knives, so even if I miss one I know that there will be something else coming down the line that I'll want just as much. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What knife are you looking for David? You might be surprised what some of us have in our closet... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I hear you. I came around to Ed Schempp's designs later on, well after the bolstered Persians, Kris, Khukuri and Barong. I picked up the Khukuri when they went on clearance and then managed to get the rest except the Barong. I think there are plans to do a Barong sprint run (or maybe it's just wishful thinking), so I may be able to rectify that. Can you imagine a Super Blue Barong with a grind that reduces some of that giant ricasso?

Since then, I picked up all the Schempp designs except the Tuff, which I kept putting off, then it got discontinued and vanished before I could get a hold of one at a reasonable price. So that's one I hate wanting so much. Seems like most of Ed's models tend to be oddballs that go up in price a ton.

The last oddball I missed was the Captain. It's another one I was late to appreciating and while they turn up occasionally, it's always more than I can justify spending. Hopefully it gets a sprint one day.

P.S. Final oddball(s): all the various Q designs. The Q was my first Spyderco and I never knew there were so many alternate designs until much, much later.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Of course it's up to you whether to say what you want or not, but i can't see any harm in telling. I have mentioned knives i want in the past and got links to places where they have one, so might well be worth a try IMO.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.