Para 3 LW Centering Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rwasham

Para 3 LW Centering Issues

Post by rwasham »

I bought a para 3 LW about a year ago from the Factory Outlet. It has since been my go to EDC knife. It's the perfect size shape and weight for light tasks as I'm sure many of you have figure out. I love this knife.

In the last month or so, however, I noticed that my once perfectly centered knife is distinctly un-centered and the blade leans away from the compression lock while closed. When open, the blade locks up well with no play.

I have taken the knife apart and adjusted the various screws to no avail. I haven't made the problem worse, but I also have not made it better.

I think perhaps the compression lock has begun to exert more pressure on the blade when closed causing it to be pushed to the side when closed, but it's hard to confirm. I did assemble the knife without the lock and the problem seems a little better....but I need that lock (not into a free swinging blade). I also looked at the FRN on the other side and I did not see much wear....I flip this thing all the time, so I was surprised by that.

So far this is a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect the function of the knife, but, If it's progressive, I would prefer it not get worse.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any known fixes? Thanks!
buckleys

Re: Para 3 LW Centering Issues

Post by buckleys »

They're pretty much all like that. It's uncentered to the left right? I have two and both are uncentered, even my M390 one that I haven't used yet. Adjusting pivots doesn't do anything and when I tried to wedge something while adjusting, it'd eventually shift towards the left again, doesn't really bother me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi, rwasham, I’ve not played with a PM3 LW or otherwise but perhaps this may help as the principle applies to all folders, I think (?).

Back all screws off including the pivot but not all the way. With the knife folded closed you’ll be able to push the blade or flex the handle to centre it. Tighten the pivot screw all the way without stripping it and push the blade or flex the handle if you have to, to ensure it’s centred with only the pivot screw tight.

Now, carefully just nip the screw closest the pivot. Don’t tighten it all the way but you’ll want it firm. Check the blade is centred. If it’s moved don’t push the blade. Flex the handle to centre it. Nip the next screw closest to the pivot as with the first one. Check your blade is centred and flex the handle again if need be, as before to centre it. Move to the next screw and do the same till you have all the screws nipped firm and your blade centred.

Go back to the screw closest the pivot and screw it down tight, careful not to strip it. Check the blade’s still centred. It shouldn’t have moved. If it has, don’t back the screw off. Flex the handle like before. Move to the next screw and do the same and the next till all screws are tight and the blade is centred.

Back the pivot screw off just enough to roll the blade open with your thumb a few times. It should still be centred. Adjust your pivot to your liking and give the blade a few solid flicks so the tang slams the stop pin. All things being equal your blade shouldn’t have move off centre and your done.

Hope this helps and do let us know how it all goes. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

i was under the impression that the off side thing was a symptom of having a bronze washer one side and the frn on the other?
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bigboned wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:23 am
i was under the impression that the off side thing was a symptom of having a bronze washer one side and the frn on the other?
This was my understanding aswell. The bronze bushing only has a single flange, with nothing on the other side.

I'm not one to get too hung up on centering. As long as it's not dragging the scales or affecting the operation, it works for me.

Knowing Spyderco, they are already looking at it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 am
bigboned wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:23 am
This was my understanding aswell. The bronze bushing only has a single flange, with nothing on the other side.

I'm not one to get too hung up on centering. As long as it's not dragging the scales or affecting the operation, it works for me.

Knowing Spyderco, they are already looking at it.
Makes sense, just gathering information.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

As others have said, this is a known issue with the Para 3 LW. Mine has been shifted to one side since day one, but when looking down at the blade from above, I can see plenty of space between the blade and each sides FRN, and with no scale rub, never paid much attention.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think it may be a feature, not a bug. :D :spyder:
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I'm not a fan of the compression lock even though I have a few. Sure would like to see a mid-back lock in the Para 3. It would probably solve the off center blade.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

First off, please don’t take this the wrong way OP, but i have doubts that the blade is more off centered than it ever was. To me it seems more likely that it was always off centered, but you just now noticed it or saw it from a new angle and it appeared more off center than you remember.

I say this because I’ve owned 9 para 3 LW at this point and they’ve all been off center, about the same amount. It is a result of the construction of the knife, with one side having a washer and the other having a molded boss for the blade to ride on.

Also, it doesn’t make much sense that the lock bar would all of the sudden be exerting more pressure on the blade. A spring does not simply increase its power arbitrarily. And that’s exactly what the lock bar is, a spring.

I’d bet you that the knife won’t become any more off center, because it isn’t any more off center now than it was out of the box. I’m not being snarky, just giving my personal opinion based on owning more than a few of these knives.

I say use it, enjoy it!