Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coffeetron

Re: Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Post by Coffeetron »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm
I think a comp lock would be next to impossible without a finger choil...
why not? we have the caribbean
PStone

Post by PStone »

And the Lil Temp 3. And the Mantra3. And the Sliverax. And the Ikuchi. And the Watu. I’m sure there’s more. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Since the compression lock is on top of the tang, it's technically possible to have a knife with a longer edge length than blade length if the plunge line is ground diagonally and the edge extends back underneath the front of the handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

aaronkb wrote:
The Caribbean and Lil Temperance would like to have a word with you.

I would definitely like to see more Golden models with no choil. It seems like nearly all of them do which is why I don't own a USA Spyderco.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:04 am
Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
Premium Polestar would be very good, tool steel and G10 or micarta.......I kinda want to buy Polestar just to make micarta scales for it :D
Man!! That's a GREAT proposal! Polestar is such a beautiful knife, especially the style of its scales.. still, Micarta would be even better.
I'd love to see a Golden Polestar with the new SPY27 (I'm looking forward to trying this steel, but no Golden models really jump out at me save for the Chief). ****, I'd take FRN scales. I really like the way they feel and hold up to drops, scrapes, bumps, and whatnot. But micarta sure does look pretty.

EDITED for spelling and clarity
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Sounds like a good idea. CBBL would work for me too.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
sok

Post by sok »

Doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't buy one though.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd be interested in something like a Lil' Temp made in Golden with a the wire clip or a Ti lock scale frame lock.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

aaronkb wrote:
Ummm, how do you figure?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:00 am
Of course I’d be interested. I do like the Delica/Endura configuration with the large ricasso . The reason being that if the lock fails, my precious fingers are safe.

It's all in the design. I showed these pics in another thread...that ricasso still exists on the Centofante 3/4, it's just hidden inside the handle and so your grip can be closer to the edge. I really don't see why any back lock can't be designed this way so you get both benefits. It's a bit smaller on this knife but again I don't see why it can't be deliberately designed to function this way.

I don’t see why not either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Maybe a run of the Native LW with no choil (just a small kick so it drops on your finger when closing) would suffice? At least they could use the same molds for the handles they are already have keeping costs down.
Sorry but that would never works. On most lockback ricasso or choil is contacting backspring so the edge would not hit the spring or backspacer. You can't just replaced it with and edge, you would need something like internal stop pin to prevent blade hitting the spring.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm
JRinFL wrote:

Maybe a run of the Native LW with no choil (just a small kick so it drops on your finger when closing) would suffice? At least they could use the same molds for the handles they are already have keeping costs down.
Sorry but that would never works. On most lockback ricasso or choil is contacting backspring so the edge would not hit the spring or backspacer. You can't just replaced it with and edge, you would need something like internal stop pin to prevent blade hitting the spring.

But you could do it like the Centofante (shown in the pics above) - have you ever had one? Its edge really goes all the way back to the handle, but obviously it still has that "kick"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m in for a Golden-made no choil folder in the 3.5”-4” blade length. Knives that size have handles big enough for my hands without needing a choil. CBBL would be nice if that lock can work without a choil or ricasso. Compression lock is also good, maybe a button compression lock.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I stand corrected lol
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm

I'd love to see a Golden Polestar with the new SPY27 (I'm looking forward to trying this steel, but no Golden models really jump out at me save for the Chief). ****, I'd take FRN scales. I really like the way they feel and hold up to drops, scrapes, bumps, and whatnot. But micarta sure does look pretty.

Polestar could really shine ( pun intended) if made in Golden with some cool steel.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

If it's a Tenacious/Ambitious looking backlock, or at least FFG Centofante with left hand clip option, I would buy it no questions asked.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 am
p_atrick wrote:

Polestar could really shine ( pun intended) if made in Golden with some cool steel.

I think the Polestar would profit already if the steel was "just" upgraded from BD1 to BD1N...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm
JRinFL wrote:

It would work just like the Centofante.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 am

It would work just like the Centofante.
How it would work with the same Native 5 handle??? Front of N5 is different to Centofante, on Native there is that half circle for choil, Centofante front is different, you would need new handle for that knife
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 am
Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 am
p_atrick wrote:

I think the Polestar would profit already if the steel was "just" upgraded from BD1 to BD1N...
Yes it would, but I am not sure if the maker is willing to work with this steel....
Made in Golden or Taiwan, it would be a nice competition to PM2