Spyderco Models From 2010 & Earlier That You Wish To Return

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Models From 2010 & Earlier That You Wish To Return

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you who know me you also know that I'm really a big fan of many of the older Spyderco models. I've often said that what I believe was the GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS was 1998 to 2004. But I won't confine many of the older models to that restricted time period. I would like to see what all models you all would like from the year 2010 and earlier. Because often times I hear many you saying that you wish a certain model would return via a Sprint Run or just be re-introduced into the main line up>> They are usually models all the way up to the 2010 time slot and earlier.

Some of the models that were made in the year 2010 and before that I would like to see return include the C-60 Massad Ayoob model. I would also love to see a super newly revamped version of the JD Smith along with a newer version of the Dodo.

My question is which of the older models 2010 or earlier would you all like to see return the most? They can be folders or fixed blades in that time period. And the ones you want could go all the way back to the 1990s if you like. It will be interesting to see how many of these older models will be out of the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2004.
tbdoc4kids

Re: Spyderco Models From 2010 & Earlier That You Wish To Return

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I would like to see any or all of the Viele models, including the Phoenix, in sprint runs. I still carry my SE C42 AUS 8 periodically.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Lum Tanto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stretch "1" (C90PBK) (first appearance June 2009 I think)
Still my favorite EDC folder (together with the Endura 4).

Great, versatile blade shape, very good edge-to-handle-ratio (much better than the Stretch 2 in that particular aspect), for me perfect, rather short and shallow choil (in my experience too deep choils don't support the index finger as well in real use).

I know, it will never come back, since the FRN molds don't exist anymore as far as I am aware of... :(
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Ronin 1. I've never seen or held one in person.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd like some more Hossom models to come back. Maybe a smaller dayhiker?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Oh dear.. How much time do i get? :)
I wouldn't mind a rollback Delica 2 SS
Military with Dino jimping
Wayne Goddards
Lum Chinese
Lum folding tanto
Terzuola Starmate and C15
Jess Horn/Baby Jess Horn
Klotzli Walker
Massad Ayoob
The framelock Byrd, SS with rubber/y inserts, the name escapes me right now.
Etc
Etc
:)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Large Goddard
Compression centofante (I think it was called the Vesuvius)
Large Lum
I would love another opportunity to buy the HAP40 Lum Tanto that BladeHQ had.

EDIT: I just realized after posting this how similar the profile is between the Goddard and Siren. I can’t post a picture right now but they are almost identical. Makes me more excited about the Siren.
Last edited by rybu0305 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
attila

Post by attila »

I always liked the Pro-Hunter/Venator, Pro-Grip, and Ocelot. I’d like these in an upgraded steel, updated clip positioning, and possibly a compression lock.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Terzuola slipit but this time make it with a compression lock 😉
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

GB1 if it was an 2010 or earlier release.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BABY HORN!!!

:D

Freediver wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 am
Lum Tanto
I want to see a Lum Tanto exactly as it was, except flip the lock upside down and make it a Compression lock!

I love everything about it, but the lock. They need to go crazy on it. Comp lock Lum Tanto, in Superblue. I would honestly pay for two of them RIGHT NOW. The Lum is the perfect(almost) tanto in my book. There's something romantic about the blade, it's a true classic.
Spydergirl88 wrote: The Terzuola slipit but this time make it with a compression lock 😉
This too!

Another perfect(almost) design. FFG, Comp lock and some LC200N since we are wishing.

Really, they could Saltify either of these(or most any model) with LC construction and I'd be in heaven(and the poor house)!

While we are on the topic of compression lock additions, I'll add the Lum Chinese, it is another fantastic design. Way more useful than it looks like it would be. Also, it's incredibly comfortable. More so the Large, but the regular is just big enough.

Great ones so far guys!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’d also love to see the Lum Tanto with a compression lock.

*(or ball bearing lock, or push button like the Smock, or even a frame lock).
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

You compression lock guys are killing me.. Will you not rest until you have conquered all models? :P
At least i haven't seen any suggestion (yet) to desecrate a classic with FRN scales :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Native. I like the older style more than the Native 5.

Chinook 1. I'd take a Chinook 2 or 3 too.

Renegade.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I wish the Yojimbo 1 would come back. I liked it a lot better than the Yo2. It's probably one of the most rare and overpriced models on the secondary market as well. I've been looking for over a year and a half and only seen one for sale - at $350.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

KingRat wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 am
Native. I like the older style more than the Native 5.

Chinook 1. I'd take a Chinook 2 or 3 too.

Renegade.
Right!
More usable edge (as much as a Delica) and as far as I remember (not sure on this though!) larger hands could actually get a good four finger grip behind the choil on the earlier Native

What I like more in the Native 5 is the true ffg blade and the refined backlock
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:29 am
I would like to see any or all of the Viele models, including the Phoenix, in sprint runs. I still carry my SE C42 AUS 8 periodically.
Wow!! I hadn't even thought of that Howard Viele model in quite some time. That's one of the very few old school Spyders that I never owned or used. There was a time during a BF trade I could have landed two of them easily but I passed because I already had 3 of the JD Smith model which is very similar to the Viele. But the Viele is one I would love to see return as well. The AUS-8 era had some truly interesting models needless to say.

But I will never ever shut up in a hundred years until we get a deluxe version of the C-60 Ayoob model again. And it's also high time we see a Ferrari version of the Chinook model too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am
I wish the Yojimbo 1 would come back. I liked it a lot better than the Yo2. It's probably one of the most rare and overpriced models on the secondary market as well. I've been looking for over a year and a half and only seen one for sale - at $350.
Oh I'm with you there "spoonrobot" because I also thought that the original Yojimbo and the orginal Ronin both were great just the way they were. Just remake both of them with a super blade steel and that will make it easy to please the masses I'm sure of it.

Oh and while we're on that time slot I also want to see the return of the TEMPERANCE 1 model in both SE & PE just it was originally. The TEMP 1 would be great for the Salt Series in LC200N in SE & PE both.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Rookie!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara