Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Post by Pancake »

......Ehm, Pancake, could you stop making threads about new models?......
Yes, it's another one of the those threads.

How do you guys feel about Golden made folder without finger choil? Something along line of Tenacious, Caribbean or Polestar? Liner lock or comp lock(easiest to do), although I would love a backlock.

I think this model is missing from Golden made spydies.
Your thoughts?
Last edited by Pancake on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Re: Golden made no choil knife

Post by Wartstein »

Yes, I am generally totally for more choil-less, or even more precisely "edge all the way to the handle" mid- and high range Spydies. Golden made would be nice.
Something along the lines of a Tenacious with an upgraded steel would be great for example.

But what is really missing in the lineup: A good, ffg backlock model with an edge all the way to the handle. While you can get this feature with liner- or comp.lock, there is only the Centofante and one other model I can't recall right now when it comes to backlocks (and no ffg model as far as I am aware of).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have an extremely strong preference for models with a usable 50/50 choil and a midlock, so zero interest here, regardless of lock type.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Isn't the siren going to be a golden model?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 am
Isn't the siren going to be a golden model?
It is indeed! And I am really looking forward to it.

And it definitely features no choil, so perhaps it is what the OP is asking for.
For me though, it is not a knife with an edge all the way to the handle, and not a knife that places the hand close to the edge in a regular grip.
EDIT: So now the tiitle was changed to "edge all the way to the handle" anyway
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm in. Make 2 different models, a plus 3" and sub 3" please, ffg of course
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

I think that's a great idea.

I'd take the Caribbean design, remove the lanyard hole for space and put a hunting/drop point shaped blade in it, something similar to the Nirvana.
Doesn't matter which steel or lock but I'd fancy K390

Would be a dream knife...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I should be more precise. The Siren has no choil, but it has some ricasso area
By no choil I mean edge all the way to the handle
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Re: Golden made no choil knife - edge all the way to handle

Post by Evil D »

I'm in. In fact is basically a requirement for me these days with a few sprint exceptions.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Not me. I like being able to drop onto my finger whilst closing. If it had a ricasso like the Delica, okay.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really like the Tenacious and have requested something similar in the past. I'd be all over a Golden-made Cru-carta Tenacious-esque backlock.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Of course I’d be interested. I do like the Delica/Endura configuration with the large ricasso . The reason being that if the lock fails, my precious fingers are safe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Premium Polestar would be very good, tool steel and G10 or micarta.......I kinda want to buy Polestar just to make micarta scales for it :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
Premium Polestar would be very good, tool steel and G10 or micarta.......I kinda want to buy Polestar just to make micarta scales for it :D
Man!! That's a GREAT proposal! Polestar is such a beautiful knife, especially the style of its scales.. still, Micarta would be even better.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im down for more models without choils.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:00 am
Of course I’d be interested. I do like the Delica/Endura configuration with the large ricasso . The reason being that if the lock fails, my precious fingers are safe.

It's all in the design. I showed these pics in another thread...that ricasso still exists on the Centofante 3/4, it's just hidden inside the handle and so your grip can be closer to the edge. I really don't see why any back lock can't be designed this way so you get both benefits. It's a bit smaller on this knife but again I don't see why it can't be deliberately designed to function this way.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:00 am

It's all in the design. I showed these pics in another thread...that ricasso still exists on the Centofante 3/4, it's just hidden inside the handle and so your grip can be closer to the edge. I really don't see why any back lock can't be designed this way so you get both benefits. It's a bit smaller on this knife but again I don't see why it can't be deliberately designed to function this way.

Said it before: Centofante ffg would be an instant buy for me. Really clever designed, as your pics do show.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 am
......Ehm, Pancake, could you stop making threads about new models?......
Yes, it's another one of the those threads.

How do you guys feel about Golden made folder without finger choil? Something along line of Tenacious, Caribbean or Polestar? Liner lock or comp lock(easiest to do), although I would love a backlock.

I think this model is missing from Golden made spydies.
Your thoughts?
Maybe a run of the Native LW with no choil (just a small kick so it drops on your finger when closing) would suffice? At least they could use the same molds for the handles they are already have keeping costs down.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I like choils in smaller knives (Native 5 and smaller) but I'd be down for more choil-less options from the Golden factory, if only because Golden seems to have the most steel options available to it (outside of Seki City-exclusive steels like VG-10, H-1, and ZDP-189 or a Maniago-exclusive steel like N690Co).

Personally, I'd love to see a Golden version of the Li'l Temperance 3, maybe with a slightly cheaper (but still capable) steel like CTS-BD1N. And maybe FRN scales instead of G-10 (but only if the scale materials downgrade allows it to keep its MBC rating whilst reducing cost). I think the Li'l Temp 3 is a very, very good utilitarian design that unfortunately got overlooked by many because of how much more expensive it was relative to comparable knives such as the Manix 2 and Yojimbo 2 (I think the Li'l Temp 3 combines many of the best elements of both the Manix 2 & Yojimbo 2).
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I think a comp lock would be next to impossible without a finger choil...