KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by Wartstein »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 pm

You´re a great guy, thanks a lot, now I can see the pics!

And this looks like the perfect Shaman to me, knowing that REX45 is essentially HAP40 (which I like a lot) and the great Micarta scales! Congrats to that knife! :)

That's good, and thank you! :D
It is sooooo perfect. :spyder:

It was really hard, leaving my new Cruwear/Micarta knife in the box, since Oct. 10th! Waiting for this Rex 45 to show up, and enable this blade swap. Then, I didn't have time to do the swap for a couple of days (more waiting). And after all of that. I had to wait an additional 24 hours, before carrying. Making sure my tiny drops of Loctite were cured. :p

The pictures turned out a little darker, than the knife appears in hand. Though the scales are darker than when they arrived, due to me rubbing them with a little bit of Food Grade Mineral Oil. The blade, also has a fresh coat of lightweight Silicone Oil. So there will be no patina on my watch! ;)

Thanks again, I love the pics...and the knife! It really IS perfect and I think exactly the Shaman I´d like to own...:) (though I also one of those who like S30V and the stone washed finish the S30V Shaman has)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

It appears that KC is down to 68 remaining.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

EngDevGr3 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am
How many did they start with?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I agree with a lot of what's being said. I'm not sure what to do yet but for better or worse I have one.
I know I can sharpen Cruwear, and wished I had gotten that one. I'm not so sure about my ability to sharpen REX 45. That may be my deciding factor because I would want a used knife to test on before touching this one with a bench stone.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sky,

What do you use for sharpening?

sal
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 am
EngDevGr3 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am
How many did they start with?

CG
I'm not sure. I haven't heard a number produced anywhere for this model.
Since posting a few minutes ago, they have sold down to 44 now.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am quite pleased with mine. Definitely glad I got this instead of the G10/Rex that is coming up. Now I can focus on that Chief!

I got one of the darker Delicas. At first I didn't like it but now I like the aged and almost burnt look to it. That said, I don't like it enough to carry it and I do think about selling it fairly often. I put quite a few knives up for sale today and it almost made it to the chopping block. For now it continues it's life in the safe.

I am quite pleased with the uniform look this Shaman has and the feel in hand is excellent. Smooth but with a little texture. I don't plan on letting this one go! Straight to the pocket she goes!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mine is here! :D :cool:

Pics!
C4FC6A4B-E3FF-4E4B-8610-AA132A6173B7.jpeg
1C064F63-92E3-4548-920F-89D0D643B8C7.jpeg
C1608077-D8B0-4F8D-B713-32E410191C9B.jpeg
B9DD177D-5663-472B-92EF-4D7C3A37F712.jpeg
0F8CEF89-3604-4585-A0DA-8029431A93B2.jpeg
And with her CruCarta sister... :spyder:
1D1147BF-285F-4FAE-ADFE-01940063CA63.jpeg
3C8F97D3-56D9-40BA-BB9D-EC3415162641.jpeg
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
PStone

Post by PStone »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Pics!

Very nice! Awesome looking grain on the presentation scale! :spyder:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It'd be cool if we could get grey pakkawood in the future (like Marlin rifle stocks)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm
It'd be cool if we could get grey pakkawood in the future (like Marlin rifle stocks)
I have one rifle and two revolvers with gray laminate furniture. Sign me up!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:

Pics!

Yeah, I scored there! As soon as I slid the box open, I was like :eek: :cool:

:D

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:

Pics!

No kiiding! That grain is really pretty and unique- you scored a great one!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:29 am
Hi Sky,

What do you use for sharpening?

sal
Hi Sal,
I have a few Diamond bench stones of medium and fine grit, and an ultra fine Spyderco ceramic bench stone.
I use the diamond medium and fine less than the ceramic ultra fine. Also a Spyderco 50/50 split medium and fine ceramic.
Take care,
Sky
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I have a question, to those of you others, who have also just received this knife.
Did yours come with a Silica gel desiccant pack? Mine did not, and I find this odd. For a couple of reasons.

1) The Cruwear variation came with a large Silica gel desiccant pack, and it has twice the chromium content. When compared to Rex 45.

2) Most manufacturers, including Spyderco. Have historically been 'nervous' enough, that they covered their HAP40 blades with a stainless steel laminate outer-layer, because of it's low corrosion resistance. With HAP40 and Rex 45 being nearly twins. I was surprised to find no packet in my bag/box.

Now for me personally, I could care less. Considering mine arrived in perfect condition, and I knew the batch was fresh. :D
But for future reference. I have to hope, and think, that Spyderco should/will be putting these bags in all of the upcoming Rex 45 Sprints. Just in case, some do end up sitting on a humid shelf somewhere, for an extended period of time.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm
I have a question, to those of you others, who have also just received this knife.
Did yours come with a Silica gel desiccant pack? Mine did not, and I find this odd. For a couple of reasons.

1) The Cruwear variation came with a large Silica gel desiccant pack, and it has twice the chromium content. When compared to Rex 45.

2) Most manufacturers, including Spyderco. Have historically been 'nervous' enough, that they covered their HAP40 blades with a stainless steel laminate outer-layer, because of it's low corrosion resistance. With HAP40 and Rex 45 being nearly twins. I was surprised to find no packet in my bag/box.

Now for me personally, I could care less. Considering mine arrived in perfect condition, and I knew the batch was fresh. :D
But for future reference. I have to hope, and think, that Spyderco should/will be putting these bags in all of the upcoming Rex 45 Sprints. Just in case, some do end up sitting on a humid shelf somewhere, for an extended period of time.
Mine did not either, and I had briefly wondered if possibly it was a returned pre-order example. There were no prints on the knife to speak of, and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it, so I don't really care one way or the other. But no, mine did not have a desiccant pack either.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I got mine from the first preorders, it also didn't have a silica pack. Very weird since the 3 other Rex45's I've had have come with them. Including my Para 3 on the first drop last year I got from KnifeCenter as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sky,

Your equipment will do the job, depending on your skill level. You may consider looking into a Sharpmaker?

sal
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:57 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Mine did not either, and I had briefly wondered if possibly it was a returned pre-order example. There were no prints on the knife to speak of, and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it, so I don't really care one way or the other. But no, mine did not have a desiccant pack either.
No silica package in the one I received, however there was a small business card sized note outlining the importance of lubricating the knife...this is new in my experience with Spyderco. The card was quite clear that with lubrication the steel could discolor or more
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Our land fills and oceans are full of silica packages ... doesn't bother me to see them go, probably a good thing.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!