Pendant knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Pendant knife

Post by Sumdumguy »

I was thinking $150-200, so not too far off.

I really like the Idea of that combo on a Spyderkey. I'd buy atleast one.

I understand that it might not be a feasible production item, but it would make for an awesome Sprint run. Perhaps an open order for "X" amount of days? If the minimum order requirements are met, it will get made. I guess it'd be similar to massdrop.

The knife wouldn't get made if the demand wasn't there, they'd be presold before production was even started and no one would have a reason to complain about missing out.
(some will probably still complain)

Just a thought.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson

Post by 013 »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:54 pm
013 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm
I have all the pendants made so far, plus a few Hummingbirds so I'm not going to stop if another one is made. Oh, and of course I have 3 daughters and a wife that will want one.
Any chance of a pendant group photo?
Thanks for the photo. I appreciate it.👍
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

Post by 013 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 pm
Sal,
What do you thing the end cost of a Ti handled, LC200N pendant knife would be?
Probably the same as any Ti LC folder.

sal
I was thinking: China made Bug, but with Ti slabs & S30V.
Would that still be that costly?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only catch with this is it needs to remain fully usable. Some of those really tiny ones may have an edge but won't really cut worth a crap. The Bug is reasonably usable for it's size so I'd like to keep it in that size range, even a teeny bit bigger would be ok with me. Weight starts to become an issue though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If its only Titanium and LC200N, $200+ for a knife the size of the Bug is a very hard sell for me. For something that is primarily jewelry, I also wouldn't buy it if it was made in China.

It would need to be the most premium of premium materials for me to get behind it.

Bug and Honeybee with Apple Coral Scales

I really like the way the Santa Fe Stoneworks Bugs were done. If they kept lanyard holes, it would be a perfect little pendant knife as jewelry in my opinion.

I could probably talk myself into a $200+ Bug in LC200N/Titanium if it also included a premium overlay scale like the Sante Fe Stoneworks knives. :)
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:54 am
If its only Titanium and LC200N, $200+ for a knife the size of the Bug is a very hard sell for me. For something that is primarily jewelry, I also wouldn't buy it if it was made in China.

It would need to be the most premium of premium materials for me to get behind it.

I really like the way the Santa Fe Stoneworks Bugs were done. If they kept lanyard holes, it would be a perfect little pendant knife as jewelry in my opinion.

I could probably talk myself into a $200+ Bug in LC200N/Titanium if it also included a premium overlay scale like the Sante Fe Stoneworks knives. :)
That Bug is really gorgeous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Mushroom wrote:

They are really nice, did you do those?

Post by 013 »

Mushroom wrote:

I only said China made to (hopefully) significantly lower the price.
The bug is about $10, so grade 2 Ti slabs (easier to machine) with an S30V blade & spring for about $60 to $80? No?
I can see an LC200N *locking* blade with grade 5 slabs costing more, but I never imagined $200.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm
Mushroom wrote:

[im] https://agrussell.com/files/products/la ... -137ac.jpg [/im ]

I agree, these are really well done. They were done by Santa Fe Stone Works.

https://santafestoneworks.com/collectio ... collection

013 wrote: I only said China made to (hopefully) significantly lower the price.
The bug is about $10, so grade 2 Ti slabs (easier to machine) with an S30V blade & spring for about $60 to $80? No?
I can see an LC200N *locking* blade with grade 5 slabs costing more, but I never imagined $200.
Well, based on what Sal said, I was just estimating $200+ because of the price of the Spydiechef and the Tusk.
-Nick :bug-red

Post by 013 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Well, based on what Sal said, I was just estimating $200+ because of the price of the Spydiechef and the Tusk.
I think it's because "regular" customers won't purchase the pendant due to the size/price ratio, so it will collect dust on the shelves & be immediately disco'd.
Although I still can't wrap my head around how we can get a Taiwan McBee (6al4v & CTS-XHP) for $130, but a smaller model would be $70 more...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

013 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:57 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mini2white wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I think it's because "regular" customers won't purchase the pendant due to the size/price ratio, so it will collect dust on the shelves & be immediately disco'd.
Although I still can't wrap my head around how we can get a Taiwan McBee (6al4v & CTS-XHP) for $130, but a smaller model would be $70 more...
I would imagine that it's because it is much more difficult to produce a knife that small, while retaining the quality and function of the larger one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson

Post by 013 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:58 am
013 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:57 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mini2white wrote:

I would imagine that it's because it is much more difficult to produce a knife that small, while retaining the quality and function of the larger one.
I understand that, but I was under the impression that nowadays it would be done by machine & much easier to accomplish.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Maserin miniatures are $18 to $70 and have single or multiple blades and inserts in the handles. How they do it for those prices I don't know but obviously there are ways to manufacture with CNC machines now. I'm sure a little hand fit and finish would be required. I think the Police necklace originally was about $120.

Post by 013 »

Mini2white wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:53 pm
Maserin miniatures are $18 to $70 and have single or multiple blades and inserts in the handles. How they do it for those prices I don't know but obviously there are ways to manufacture with CNC machines now. I'm sure a little hand fit and finish would be required. I think the Police necklace originally was about $120.
Spyderco might be able to work something out for all of us. They've made pendants in the past when CNC tech was more primitive. All we're really asking for is an upgraded Bug.
Although I'm guessing by what Sal said & the lack of interest in this thread, it's most likely never going to happen.
I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If it was really nice to look at, and so to wear as jewelry, I think it would have a market large enough to sell a Sprint or limited run.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Post by 013 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm
If it was really nice to look at, and so to wear as jewelry, I think it would have a market large enough to sell a Sprint or limited run.
If they keep the price reasonable, there should be no problem.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

013 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:46 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm
If they keep the price reasonable, there should be no problem.
Other companies seem to be able to do it, just in a different style.

Post by 013 »

Here's to keeping the dream alive🍀
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, we will cross our fingers and hope.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm still in!

-Thomas Jefferson