Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:43 pm

The same as any other blade that size. Some places have laws against carrying locking folders but no limit on blade length. Some of us old geezers maintain that if you really need a lock on your folder, you shouldn't be using a folder at all. I routinely carry and use slip joints that large and larger even though there are no laws forcing me to.

I'm not sure if I fall into the "old geezer" category but I did grow up with mostly slip joint Case knives and later some locking Bucks, but the one issue I have with this is in stabbing/penetrating type situations where if you push the blade in at the wrong angle it can cause it to fold. Granted, this isn't something I find that I need to do a LOT, but this has always been something that I've been cautiously aware of when using slip joints. Otherwise I think I could get by just fine with a friction folder in almost every other situation. For the work I do there's always the potential to need to defend myself with my knife so I'll stick with locking blades for this reason alone, but outside work I think I'd be ok with a slip joint. In some cases I think they're even more convenient. Beyond all that, part of the knife hobby for me is enjoying the engineering that locks bring and I like the various designs that locks have so I don't think I could eliminate locks from my collection simply because I like them. Overall though it's a lot like the safety on a gun, the only true safety is trigger discipline.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

What line of work do you do Evil D?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am

Towing. It's hit and miss when I even need a knife, but I do run into a lot of dogs. I also work in the not so great parts of Cincinnati, but for the most part your attitude and how you act towards others has helped me avoid any issues with people so self defense is really more about animals. We had a guy get attacked by a lady's pit bull about a year ago and he nearly lost his right hand and his stomach was tore open. The lady failed to restrain the dog and he forced his way out of the front door and attacked him. Unfortunately it's pretty common for people to own aggressive dogs. I do what I can to avoid those situations (since then I refuse to knock on a door, I'll call people and let them come out to me) but the chance of a dog being loose is always there. I'm far more concerned with animals than people lol.
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I wonder if SpyderEdge slip joints will make a return. The CPK in SE would be really neat!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

We've talked about it ( large Roadie ) but have no plans at this time. I'll watch reaction.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:00 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:43 pm
The prototype that I have is red G-10 and leaf shaped like the Heinnie Haines model . It's not been put in queue yet as the factory is very busy. The Alistair slippie is first going to be a locker due to the success of the larger version. Thew reason fr a larger slippie is Canada and Germany.

sal
Will the red G10 be standard production or the CPK, or an exclusive?
Nothing planned at this time.

sal
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:43 pm
The prototype that I have is red G-10 and leaf shaped like the Heinnie Haines model . It's not been put in queue yet as the factory is very busy. The Alistair slippie is first going to be a locker due to the success of the larger version. Thew reason fr a larger slippie is Canada and Germany.

sal
Hello Mr. Glesser,

Thank you for the updates.

Is the Alistair slippie going to look closer to Kapara, or to the original Phillips prototype (as in pictures below)?

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pantagana,

It's similar. We had to make some adjustments for the Kapara and we'll do the same for the smaller version. Ali did make a 3.0" Slippie for me when I asked him to do and that's what we'll use for the lock version. We still have the slippie on for the future as it is mostly for the UK.

Cool bug.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Such a great looking prototype... Hope it makes production one day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:12 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Candyman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Absolutely up for a large slip joint but it needs to have an old time look. Bored with the look of modern slippies. Market is flooded with them too. Would like to see it in stag.
I'm curious what a Spyderco classic slippie would look like. I've been on a classic style slip joint kick lately, with some really nice Maniago knives definitely being my favorites. Viper EZ-open, Viper Swayback and FOX Libar are sparring for pocket time lately, with a slight edge to the FOX (which is also the cheapest).

I wonder what an XL Roadie with an upgraded handle would look like (and cost)?
That Libar does look pretty nice. Which handle material do you have? Do you know if there is a slightly larger version?
Ziricote. I don't know if there is a larger one. I got mine from Lamnia (great service and fast shipping, even to the USA).
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:12 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Candyman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Absolutely up for a large slip joint but it needs to have an old time look. Bored with the look of modern slippies. Market is flooded with them too. Would like to see it in stag.
I'm curious what a Spyderco classic slippie would look like. I've been on a classic style slip joint kick lately, with some really nice Maniago knives definitely being my favorites. Viper EZ-open, Viper Swayback and FOX Libar are sparring for pocket time lately, with a slight edge to the FOX (which is also the cheapest).

I wonder what an XL Roadie with an upgraded handle would look like (and cost)?
That Libar does look pretty nice. Which handle material do you have? Do you know if there is a slightly larger version?
Ziricote. I don't know if there is a larger one. I got mine from Lamnia (great service and fast shipping, even to the USA).
Thanks, Tom. Thanks also to Sal for the updates.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Not sure if anyone mentioned the C131. Terzuola Slipit is listed just a tad longer blade length than the PITS. For the OP I think the aftermarket price may be prohibitive, but I threw it in there anyway.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:21 am
twinboysdad wrote:

Towing. It's hit and miss when I even need a knife, but I do run into a lot of dogs. I also work in the not so great parts of Cincinnati, but for the most part your attitude and how you act towards others has helped me avoid any issues with people so self defense is really more about animals. We had a guy get attacked by a lady's pit bull about a year ago and he nearly lost his right hand and his stomach was tore open. The lady failed to restrain the dog and he forced his way out of the front door and attacked him. Unfortunately it's pretty common for people to own aggressive dogs. I do what I can to avoid those situations (since then I refuse to knock on a door, I'll call people and let them come out to me) but the chance of a dog being loose is always there. I'm far more concerned with animals than people lol.
I worked with a guy who repo’ed for a car lot that was a dive- they financed people with crap credit and kept a key. Probably 80% of the cars got repo’ed and multiple owners. The guy said he would call and say “you know I’m getting this car- you work with me and I will let you get your stuff. You make me have to find the car, your stuff goes with the car”. He said more than you think would talk smack and hang up. He would wait a week and a half and let them get comfortable and then snag the car. Interesting line of work for a side job!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

I worked with a guy who repo’ed for a car lot that was a dive- they financed people with crap credit and kept a key. Probably 80% of the cars got repo’ed and multiple owners. The guy said he would call and say “you know I’m getting this car- you work with me and I will let you get your stuff. You make me have to find the car, your stuff goes with the car”. He said more than you think would talk smack and hang up. He would wait a week and a half and let them get comfortable and then snag the car. Interesting line of work for a side job!

Yeah we don't do repos, that's a whole different line of work and it's a lot more risky. Those guys DO need to worry about the human threat lol. I will tell you this though, unless you keep a car locked inside somewhere, you can't stop the repo man. I've seen them hit a house with 3-4 trucks at a time with the first few only moving other cars out of the way so the last guy can get to the repo, then they move everything back to where it was and you come out the next morning wondering how they did it.
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:14 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Yeah we don't do repos, that's a whole different line of work and it's a lot more risky. Those guys DO need to worry about the human threat lol. I will tell you this though, unless you keep a car locked inside somewhere, you can't stop the repo man. I've seen them hit a house with 3-4 trucks at a time with the first few only moving other cars out of the way so the last guy can get to the repo, then they move everything back to where it was and you come out the next morning wondering how they did it.
Funniest one I saw was a hood lady hop in a BMW mid repo. I guess she thought they can’t tow it with her in it, and maybe they can’t? The police came but the whole time she was just sitting there staring straight ahead like nothing was happening. It was hysterical and I think I would have said “if we have to tow this with you in it, you will walk home”. I mean clearly not paying the bank for months at a time results in loss of vehicle
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Funniest one I saw was a hood lady hop in a BMW mid repo. I guess she thought they can’t tow it with her in it, and maybe they can’t? The police came but the whole time she was just sitting there staring straight ahead like nothing was happening. It was hysterical and I think I would have said “if we have to tow this with you in it, you will walk home”. I mean clearly not paying the bank for months at a time results in loss of vehicle

If he was smart he would've just had the police waiting at the place he's towing it to. The police are always informed of what's going on so if the owner calls and says the car is being stolen they won't arrest the tow driver.
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I really like the look of the pg23 posted, I wish the Kapara looked like that closed. I really like the thought of a larger slipjoint I really enjoy the UKPK and Urban
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I believe that prototype pictured, IS the Kapara. Although, because it's a prototype, it has a sheepsfoot blade opposed to the current drop point blade.
-Nick :bug-red
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:31 am
I believe that prototype pictured, IS the Kapara. Although, because it's a prototype, it has a sheepsfoot blade opposed to the current drop point blade.
Nope.

If I remember the article correctly, Alistair Phillips made it himself, even called Spyderco to ask if he could use the spyderhole. I believe the steel used in prototype was RWL34. I know when I saw this knife, I immediately wanted it. Alistair has his own page where he mods knives. You can see on the page that the name of that knife was Redback

Spyderco people were so delighted with the knife, that they offered him cooperation, and thus the Kapara.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the details
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been carrying my Roadie again, and I do have to say that a Roadie XL would hit a sweet spot like some of the other slippies. I worry about the price point though. The regular Roadie is almost as much as the Fox Libar, and an XL would be in direct competition. Maybe differentiating it by running it in K390 or Rex45 or something?