Price difference between FRN lw and G10 on same models is very different

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Price difference between FRN lw and G10 on same models is very different

Post by archangel »

Has anyone noticed? Was this discussed?

Upcoming Rex45 sprints, Manix2
MSRP of FRN lw: $175
MSRP of G10: $180

Native 5 S110V
MSRP of FRN lw: $200
MSRP of G10: $265

Why's the G10 version so much more expensive compared to the FRN lw on the N5? Or the other way around: how can Spyderco offer the G10 version of the Manix2 just 5 bucks more? :confused:

Those are really good prices on all the Rex45 sprints by the way. Stock up you guys! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Brock O Lee

Re: Price difference between FRN lw and G10 on same models is very different

Post by Brock O Lee »

My guess is some models cross-subsidize others.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:01 am
Has anyone noticed? Was this discussed?

Upcoming Rex45 sprints, Manix2
MSRP of FRN lw: $175
MSRP of G10: $180

Native 5 S110V
MSRP of FRN lw: $200
MSRP of G10: $265

Why's the G10 version so much more expensive compared to the FRN lw on the N5? Or the other way around: how can Spyderco offer the G10 version of the Manix2 just 5 bucks more? :confused:

Those are really good prices on all the Rex45 sprints by the way. Stock up you guys! :)

Manix LW is FRCP, not FRN, maybe the former is more expensive for some reason? Don't know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

What's FRCP? :confused: Why have I missed this?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Between those two models I'm going to guess it has something to do with the Native being a screw together construction vs the Manix being pinned. It probably makes the molds more expensive and maybe there's added labor to assemble them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:26 am
Fiberglass reinforced co-polymer
Used on the Manix LW only, as far as I know.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:26 am
FRCP: "Fibre glass reinforced co-polymer" (FRN: "Fibre glass reinforced nylon)
- As fas as I am aware of exclusivly used on the Manix LW.
- Some say FRCP can be made translucent (like on the blue Manix LW), FRN not (no idea of that is true).
- Just from the "feel in hand" to me FRCP feels a littel "harder" more "plasticy" than FRN, and as if it would chip more easily (again, just the feel in hand, never had either FRCP nor FRN chip on me, even when dropping the knife hard on concrete or the like) - I personally slightly prefer FRN.

EDIT: And you have missed this because, as I know, you´re not into LW models generally, right? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well the msrp for the rex45 natives are.
G10-$235
Ltwt-$160

So thats an even bigger price difference on the native side. BUT does make the lightweight native 5 rex45 the cheapest of all of them.

Msrp for s110v manix 2 is.
G10-$245
Ltwt-$205

Which is alot closer to the price difference of the native 5.

No idea why the g10 manix 2 rex45 has almost no markup though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cali

Post by cali »

It is called pricing. The goal is to maximize profit, not sales.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I had noticed that pricing gap as well the other day and was surprised nobody was discussing it. I thought maybe KC had made a typo (since that was where I noticed the only $5 difference on the Manix 2), so checked the reveal on the Spyderco app and found the same pricing.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
archangel

Post by archangel »

So maybe FRCN is closer to the price level of G10. Different construction might play a part as well. Cross subsidizing - very good point.
Michael
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I don't think Natives are done in FRN, but FRCP. I believe all the the new handles being wider and skeletonized are FRCP.

Though the spec says FRN for Natives handle, I vaguely remember I've read in the forums that newer version is from FRCP (FRN material feels more rubbery on the hand and is matte, FRCP is more plastic and shiny).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I know that specs say one thing, but remember the discussion of FRN and FRCP
dan31

Post by dan31 »

They are 2 very different knives when it comes to parts and labor. The G10 requires more time in assembly and adjustment. The native 5 lock has extremely tight tolerances. I would think the majority of difference is in the assembly and then the machining of the G10 parts. I think the G10 is worth the price difference. If it’s just a work knife go from LW.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 pm
They are 2 very different knives when it comes to parts and labor. The G10 requires more time in assembly and adjustment. The native 5 lock has extremely tight tolerances. I would think the majority of difference is in the assembly and then the machining of the G10 parts. I think the G10 is worth the price difference. If it’s just a work knife go for the LW.
sal

Post by sal »

cali wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 am
It is called pricing. The goal is to maximize profit, not sales.

Hi Cali,

That is not the way we do business. We believe that to charge as much as the market will bare is to bite the hand that feeds you. We work on relatively fixed margins that we need to run our business and take care of our staff. I suggest you re-evaluate your premises.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:47 am
- Just from the "feel in hand" to me FRCP feels a littel "harder" more "plasticy" than FRN, and as if it would chip more easily (again, just the feel in hand, never had either FRCP nor FRN chip on me, even when dropping the knife hard on concrete or the like) - I personally slightly prefer FRN.

FWIW, have seen photos where someone trying to spread the handle of an FRCP Manix LW apart to change blades cracked it, while I've taken an FRN handle slab from an Atlantic Salt that was cut apart to use as templates for a custom handle and bent it till the ends met.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cali

Post by cali »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:21 pm
Hi Cali,

That is not the way we do business. We believe that to charge as much as the market will bare is to bite the hand that feeds you. We work on relatively fixed margins that we need to run our business and take care of our staff. I suggest you re-evaluate your premises.

sal
Hi Sal,
It was provocative, I know, sorry for that. On the other hand if you maintain the margin over time (I hope it is much higher than distributors), and you do not have to optimize cost to sell the product, there is no problem.
That was also provocative, sorry, but for me a lot of prices is well above the value, but I still would like to buy a Spyderco knife from time to time.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly it looks to me (from the outside) like Spyderco is discounting some models to get them into people's hands (Manix 2 LW for example). It's weird that people are complaining when a model is inexpensive. They compare it to another (normally priced) model and want that other model discounted too.

In the end, it's all first world problems. If you're in the market for a knife that costs more than a few dollars, you're well enough off that complaining about price is pretty silly.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:22 pm
Honestly it looks to me (from the outside) like Spyderco is discounting some models to get them into people's hands (Manix 2 LW for example). It's weird that people are complaining when a model is inexpensive. They compare it to another (normally priced) model and want that other model discounted too.

In the end, it's all first world problems. If you're in the market for a knife that costs more than a few dollars, you're well enough off that complaining about price is pretty silly.
Maybe you should reread all the posts. I don't see anyone complaining about an inexpensive model. Just observations of surprise by how small the Manix price difference is in relation to other models, as generally going from a "cheaper" handle material to G-10 results in a much larger price gap.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com