Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Large slipjoint Spydie, anyone?

Post by archangel »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:43 pm
jdw wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am
sal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:18 am
Hi Archangel,

We have a prototype for a 3.5" blade UKPK that we call the CPK (Canadian Pen Knife - in house name).

sal
Hi Sal,
With all due respect sir, I really am curious. What's the purpose of a slip joint folder that large?
The same as any other blade that size.Some places have laws against carrying locking folders but no limit on blade length. Some of us old geezers maintain that if you really need a lock on your folder, you shouldn't be using a folder at all. I routinely carry and use slip joints that large and larger even though there are no laws forcing me to.

^^this :mad:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

yablanowitz wrote:
jdw wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am
sal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:18 am
Hi Archangel,

We have a prototype for a 3.5" blade UKPK that we call the CPK (Canadian Pen Knife - in house name).

sal
Hi Sal,
With all due respect sir, I really am curious. What's the purpose of a slip joint folder that large?
The same as any other blade that size. Some places have laws against carrying locking folders but no limit on blade length. Some of us old geezers maintain that if you really need a lock on your folder, you shouldn't be using a folder at all. I routinely carry and use slip joints that large and larger even though there are no laws forcing me to.
I agree to an extent, but still prefer a lock for extra safety. The longer the blade gets, the more leverage can be applied to it, including inadvertently or after a slip.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm still of the firm belief that having the lock there leads to careless handling, making it less safe instead of more safe. Locks are small bits of metal, designed and built by fallible people, which have to fit together just so in order to work. Any of them can fail at any time. The only real safety resides between your ears.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Absolutely up for a large slip joint but it needs to have an old time look. Bored with the look of modern slippies. Market is flooded with them too. Would like to see it in stag.

Rich
Think for yourself
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mzen wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:28 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the PITS folder yet. It only has a 3" blade, but its still a good size and fills the hand well.
Oh make no mistake, I am well aware of the PITS, but unfortunately, the only way to get one now is to pay very silly prices. Would love if they came up with a PITS 2, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
I didn't realize the PITS had gotten silly in the post-disco market.

I grabbed an extra when they were on disco sale, and I'm glad I did.

Maybe it's time for a sprint in M390?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Candyman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Absolutely up for a large slip joint but it needs to have an old time look. Bored with the look of modern slippies. Market is flooded with them too. Would like to see it in stag.
I'm curious what a Spyderco classic slippie would look like. I've been on a classic style slip joint kick lately, with some really nice Maniago knives definitely being my favorites. Viper EZ-open, Viper Swayback and FOX Libar are sparring for pocket time lately, with a slight edge to the FOX (which is also the cheapest).

I wonder what an XL Roadie with an upgraded handle would look like (and cost)?
Enactive

Re: Large slipjoint and Spydie, anyone?

Post by Enactive »

I've been on a traditional and Spydie kick lately. Basically GEC and Spyderco.
IMG_20200125_134835.jpg
IMG_20200125_135223.jpg
I should get a UKPK. I really want a drop point model, though i'd much prefer it in G10 (and ideally in Cruwear or K390) although i am sure that BD1n is dandy.

Curious to see if the Alistair Phillips/ Spyderco slipjoint(s) make it to market. That would be hot. I've been quite curious to see a Canadian PK proto. Has anyone seen one at any of the shows?
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Pits is nice, no doubt. But still only 3". A Pits XL however... :rolleyes:
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Candyman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm
I'm curious what a Spyderco classic slippie would look like. I've been on a classic style slip joint kick lately, with some really nice Maniago knives definitely being my favorites. Viper EZ-open, Viper Swayback and FOX Libar are sparring for pocket time lately, with a slight edge to the FOX (which is also the cheapest).

I wonder what an XL Roadie with an upgraded handle would look like (and cost)?
That Libar does look pretty nice. Which handle material do you have? Do you know if there is a slightly larger version?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:08 pm
I'm still of the firm belief that having the lock there leads to careless handling, making it less safe instead of more safe. Locks are small bits of metal, designed and built by fallible people, which have to fit together just so in order to work. Any of them can fail at any time. The only real safety resides between your ears.
That's an interesting opinion. What facts do you have to back it up? If you think a Spyderco made liner lock is just as likely to fail as a $7 gas station knife of unknown origin liner lock, I'm not sure what to tell you. That's not even getting into even stronger and more reliable locks.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Name one lock that has no moving parts. Name one that doesn't require precise fit between moving parts to function correctly. Name one lock that doesn't consist of pieces smaller than the knife it is part of. Name one lock that was designed by an infallible (divine) being. Name one lock that has never failed to engage or accidentally disengaged. How likely that failure is is a different discussion. Ask Sal directly if he is perfect or makes perfect mechanisms. Fifty bucks says Sal will tell you that he makes them the best they can, but no one is perfect. Stronger and more reliable locks are just that...stronger and more reliable. Ultimately, a folding knife is called a folder because it folds. The only way to eliminate the risk of lock failure is to eliminate the lock.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:59 pm
Name one lock that has no moving parts. Name one that doesn't require precise fit between moving parts to function correctly. Name one lock that doesn't consist of pieces smaller than the knife it is part of. Name one lock that was designed by an infallible (divine) being. Name one lock that has never failed to engage or accidentally disengaged. How likely that failure is is a different discussion. Ask Sal directly if he is perfect or makes perfect mechanisms. Fifty bucks says Sal will tell you that he makes them the best they can, but no one is perfect. Stronger and more reliable locks are just that...stronger and more reliable. Ultimately, a folding knife is called a folder because it folds. The only way to eliminate the risk of lock failure is to eliminate the lock.
Those are all straw man arguments. You're acting like locks that have been manufactured and refined over decades are fragile and easily prone to failure. Of course any lock can fail, BUT (given that the knife is from a reputable manufacturer) it's so unlikely that it's not a worry. Lock reliability aside, your assertion that "(...) having the lock there leads to careless handling (...)" is simply an opinion with no support. You made the statement, so the burden of proof is on you. Show me a valid study supporting your claim.
sal

Post by sal »

The prototype that I have is red G-10 and leaf shaped like the Heinnie Haines model . It's not been put in queue yet as the factory is very busy. The Alistair slippie is first going to be a locker due to the success of the larger version. Thew reason fr a larger slippie is Canada and Germany.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That’s excellent news sal, all if it. I hope it (CPK) gets a release someday.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:43 pm
The prototype that I have is red G-10 and leaf shaped like the Heinnie Haines model . It's not been put in queue yet as the factory is very busy. The Alistair slippie is first going to be a locker due to the success of the larger version. Thew reason fr a larger slippie is Canada and Germany.

sal
Will the red G10 be standard production or the CPK, or an exclusive?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Those are all straw man arguments. You're acting like locks that have been manufactured and refined over decades are fragile and easily prone to failure. Of course any lock can fail, BUT (given that the knife is from a reputable manufacturer) it's so unlikely that it's not a worry. Lock reliability aside, your assertion that "(...) having the lock there leads to careless handling (...)" is simply an opinion with no support. You made the statement, so the burden of proof is on you. Show me a valid study supporting your claim.
I apologize. The portion of my previous post that you highlighted were factual, whether you can accept them or not. The preface was and is my personal opinion only, a result of five decades of personal observations. I will check out now and leave you to your beliefs. I sincerely hope your beloved locking devices are always able to protect you.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
I apologize. The portion of my previous post that you highlighted were factual, whether you can accept them or not. The preface was and is my personal opinion only, a result of five decades of personal observations. I will check out now and leave you to your beliefs. I sincerely hope your beloved locking devices are always able to protect you.
The plural of anecdote is not evidence. I'm careful whether I'm using a locking folder, a slip joint, or a fixed blade. But I can't stop you from taking your ball and going home.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:

sal

Oh how happy I am. :)

Leaf shaped is fine, too. I'd prefer another drop point blade for a change, but leaf shaped blades are true Sal classics, so that's more than alright. Red G10 is lovely, too! All I can say is Super!!

Thank You Sal!
Michael
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

yablanowitz wrote:
... Some of us old geezers maintain that if you really need a lock on your folder, you shouldn't be using a folder at all...
There is deep sense in this sentence!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:

sal
Thank you Sal, love all the slip joints! Any chance of an XL Roadie with K390 form Italy?!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”