KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 3956
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Some Halpern Titanium Mule scales in rosewood Dymondwood I picked up years ago (sanded smooth to remove the bumpy 3D stock texturing) and the new KC Shaman that arrived today. You can really pick up the layering in the Mule scales that likewise shows on the contoured edges of the Shaman scale. Both are ridiculously sharp knives! :D

Image
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Joey
Member
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Joey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:23 am

I love the way the vignette accents the wood! Nice photo as always, RadioactiveSpyder.
I don’t post much on here, but I have to come in to defend the scales. I don’t typically like wood on a tool/weapon, but I’m starting to see the appeal. They have a wood like texture in my opinion. I thought these two looked great together and figured I’d share while I’m doing nothing.
Attachments
A4BBD12F-6250-491E-8CDB-A6075AF1038A.jpeg

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Evil D » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:54 am

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm
Some Halpern Titanium Mule scales in rosewood Dymondwood I picked up years ago (sanded smooth to remove the bumpy 3D stock texturing) and the new KC Shaman that arrived today. You can really pick up the layering in the Mule scales that likewise shows on the contoured edges of the Shaman scale. Both are ridiculously sharp knives! :D

Image

I think this pic says it all about these scales and about the G10 version....if the contouring of the scales was more dramatic it would expose more of the layers of whatever material the scales are made from and they would look significantly better. If I bought this version I would have to sand them down and try to bring out more layers of wood.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby ABX2011 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am

More coutouring would be good although the clip needs to rest on a flat surface.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9830
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 am

All the pics I have been seeing on Instagram look great. Super excited to get this thing in my hands!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3235
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby JuPaul » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:12 am

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm
....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

Yet another reason I need to stay out of the FB groups
100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
They might've but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people who were originally interested saw the REX 45 sprint run coming and decided to try for that and/or they decided the laminated wood handles weren't really for them. Since the dealer can order additional runs for exclusives it doesn't really make sense to make a big run. Do a standard run and see how it does. Then order another if successful.
Yeah, I'm sure there are also other factors to explain why it's still up for sale now. But by bigger I meant maybe 1000 instead of the 400 we've seen elsewhere. Big enough that it won't sell out in 5 minutes, and they can let people buy 2 if they want. Seems like their last cruwear models- the native and the manix - were both around for longer, too. I appreciate that.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Evil D » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 am

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am
More coutouring would be good although the clip needs to rest on a flat surface.


For sure, the clip hits pretty center on the scale though so you should be able to contour it a good bit more without causing problems. The only downside is it'll make the edges of the handle thinner, which may not feel as good in the hand. I ran into this with my Ouroboros, it looks fantastic but the edge of the handle is pretty thin, I think it would feel better if it was thicker.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5908
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Sharp Guy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:07 am

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:12 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm
....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

Yet another reason I need to stay out of the FB groups
100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
They might've but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people who were originally interested saw the REX 45 sprint run coming and decided to try for that and/or they decided the laminated wood handles weren't really for them. Since the dealer can order additional runs for exclusives it doesn't really make sense to make a big run. Do a standard run and see how it does. Then order another if successful.
Yeah, I'm sure there are also other factors to explain why it's still up for sale now. But by bigger I meant maybe 1000 instead of the 400 we've seen elsewhere. Big enough that it won't sell out in 5 minutes, and they can let people buy 2 if they want. Seems like their last cruwear models- the native and the manix - were both around for longer, too. I appreciate that.
My guess was the normal 1200 pc run but that was merely a guess. A guy in that same discussion of FB said it was a 700 pc run with only about 500 pieces that made it through QC. He hasn't said who his source was.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Tucson Tom » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:18 am

It will be interesting to see what you guys accomplish if you do some sanding and reshaping.

I am sure Spyderco has a standard machine setup to make Shaman scales in their usual dimensions, and that is that.

I could imagine one of the aftermarket scale outfits making some very good looking scales with the right kind of micarta. If I got really wound up about a cool look I would wait and see what comes along here. As EvilD says, I don't want to fool around and end up with a good looking but uncomfortable handle.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9830
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am

I am thankful that you don’t have to do the sprint run shuffle with KC. I don’t know if it is that they commission large runs or that customers are fickle about the smooth G10 and laminate wood and I don’t care. I am just glad that they are easy to buy.

Looks like I’ll be waiting till Monday for mine. Looking forward to pairing it up with my Pakkawood Delica. :)

Still in stock!!! :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Capt'n Boatsalot
Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Capt'n Boatsalot » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

Image

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Evil D » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Someone needs to have some bolsters made for these scales. I think that's what's missing.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

GarageBoy
Member
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby GarageBoy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:57 pm

I actually like the fact that the KC runs don't fly off like the bladehq runs

The wood looks very traditional fixed blade style (especially with the contouring)

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Pancake » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:41 pm

If I would not get ripped off by customs fees I would buy one....guess I wait for regular burnt orange sprint run.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

SteveMidwest
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby SteveMidwest » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 pm
Guys, can someone of you measure thickness of the scales on Shaman?

The answer is 0.183" Pancake. I did a scale swap today, and was able to get a good measurement on it.

SteveMidwest
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby SteveMidwest » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm
Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

Image

I just had to . . . .

Image

Image

Image

JohnAPA
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby JohnAPA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm

It looks like Birch stained with red food coloring.

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby Pancake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:16 am

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm
Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 pm
Guys, can someone of you measure thickness of the scales on Shaman?

The answer is 0.183" Pancake. I did a scale swap today, and was able to get a good measurement on it.
Thank you very much.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

User avatar
skybladefromthe
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 am

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby skybladefromthe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am

:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
And I got one of the last ones and it was a steady carry until recently. I'm a rare one who prefers smooth. For me it's more about the weight and balance in this case.
I haven't ever held a Shaman. I just had to check this Shaman out for myself.
I'm having a blast. Just think how boring life would be if Spyderco didn't exist! :spyder:

User avatar
blues
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Postby blues » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am

skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am
:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
Correct. I'm nobody and I like it. (PM2 and Para 3.) Then again I have several smooth scaled "traditional" knives so it never presented an issue for me.
- No FOMO -


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5-by-5, Bing [Bot], Fireman, foofie, Google [Bot], Holland, JD Spydo, Lucabrasi, Mushroom, Spydergirl88, steelcity16, tomcatt1 and 33 guests