KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Some Halpern Titanium Mule scales in rosewood Dymondwood I picked up years ago (sanded smooth to remove the bumpy 3D stock texturing) and the new KC Shaman that arrived today. You can really pick up the layering in the Mule scales that likewise shows on the contoured edges of the Shaman scale. Both are ridiculously sharp knives! :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Joey

Post by Joey »

I love the way the vignette accents the wood! Nice photo as always, RadioactiveSpyder.
I don’t post much on here, but I have to come in to defend the scales. I don’t typically like wood on a tool/weapon, but I’m starting to see the appeal. They have a wood like texture in my opinion. I thought these two looked great together and figured I’d share while I’m doing nothing.
Attachments
A4BBD12F-6250-491E-8CDB-A6075AF1038A.jpeg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm
Some Halpern Titanium Mule scales in rosewood Dymondwood I picked up years ago (sanded smooth to remove the bumpy 3D stock texturing) and the new KC Shaman that arrived today. You can really pick up the layering in the Mule scales that likewise shows on the contoured edges of the Shaman scale. Both are ridiculously sharp knives! :D

I think this pic says it all about these scales and about the G10 version....if the contouring of the scales was more dramatic it would expose more of the layers of whatever material the scales are made from and they would look significantly better. If I bought this version I would have to sand them down and try to bring out more layers of wood.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

More coutouring would be good although the clip needs to rest on a flat surface.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All the pics I have been seeing on Instagram look great. Super excited to get this thing in my hands!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm
....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

Yet another reason I need to stay out of the FB groups
100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
They might've but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people who were originally interested saw the REX 45 sprint run coming and decided to try for that and/or they decided the laminated wood handles weren't really for them. Since the dealer can order additional runs for exclusives it doesn't really make sense to make a big run. Do a standard run and see how it does. Then order another if successful.
Yeah, I'm sure there are also other factors to explain why it's still up for sale now. But by bigger I meant maybe 1000 instead of the 400 we've seen elsewhere. Big enough that it won't sell out in 5 minutes, and they can let people buy 2 if they want. Seems like their last cruwear models- the native and the manix - were both around for longer, too. I appreciate that.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am
More coutouring would be good although the clip needs to rest on a flat surface.

For sure, the clip hits pretty center on the scale though so you should be able to contour it a good bit more without causing problems. The only downside is it'll make the edges of the handle thinner, which may not feel as good in the hand. I ran into this with my Ouroboros, it looks fantastic but the edge of the handle is pretty thin, I think it would feel better if it was thicker.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:12 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 pm
....and on another note....there's a discussion in one of the Spyderco FB groups about why this exclusive run didn't sell out fast like some of the others. One guy's theory was that KC saw the whole Crucarta Shaman deal and ordered a 100K pc run. Now they're stuck with it. :)

Yet another reason I need to stay out of the FB groups
100k? 😂 But it does seem like they did a big run, which is really nice.
They might've but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people who were originally interested saw the REX 45 sprint run coming and decided to try for that and/or they decided the laminated wood handles weren't really for them. Since the dealer can order additional runs for exclusives it doesn't really make sense to make a big run. Do a standard run and see how it does. Then order another if successful.
Yeah, I'm sure there are also other factors to explain why it's still up for sale now. But by bigger I meant maybe 1000 instead of the 400 we've seen elsewhere. Big enough that it won't sell out in 5 minutes, and they can let people buy 2 if they want. Seems like their last cruwear models- the native and the manix - were both around for longer, too. I appreciate that.
My guess was the normal 1200 pc run but that was merely a guess. A guy in that same discussion of FB said it was a 700 pc run with only about 500 pieces that made it through QC. He hasn't said who his source was.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

It will be interesting to see what you guys accomplish if you do some sanding and reshaping.

I am sure Spyderco has a standard machine setup to make Shaman scales in their usual dimensions, and that is that.

I could imagine one of the aftermarket scale outfits making some very good looking scales with the right kind of micarta. If I got really wound up about a cool look I would wait and see what comes along here. As EvilD says, I don't want to fool around and end up with a good looking but uncomfortable handle.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am thankful that you don’t have to do the sprint run shuffle with KC. I don’t know if it is that they commission large runs or that customers are fickle about the smooth G10 and laminate wood and I don’t care. I am just glad that they are easy to buy.

Looks like I’ll be waiting till Monday for mine. Looking forward to pairing it up with my Pakkawood Delica. :)

Still in stock!!! :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someone needs to have some bolsters made for these scales. I think that's what's missing.
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I actually like the fact that the KC runs don't fly off like the bladehq runs

The wood looks very traditional fixed blade style (especially with the contouring)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If I would not get ripped off by customs fees I would buy one....guess I wait for regular burnt orange sprint run.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 pm
Guys, can someone of you measure thickness of the scales on Shaman?

The answer is 0.183" Pancake. I did a scale swap today, and was able to get a good measurement on it.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm
Mine arrived yesterday. Really digging it. Scales are beautiful, and while not as grippy as micarta, provide plenty of grip.

I just had to . . . .

JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

It looks like Birch stained with red food coloring.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm
Pancake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 pm
Guys, can someone of you measure thickness of the scales on Shaman?

The answer is 0.183" Pancake. I did a scale swap today, and was able to get a good measurement on it.
Thank you very much.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
And I got one of the last ones and it was a steady carry until recently. I'm a rare one who prefers smooth. For me it's more about the weight and balance in this case.
I haven't ever held a Shaman. I just had to check this Shaman out for myself.
I'm having a blast. Just think how boring life would be if Spyderco didn't exist! :spyder:
blues

Post by blues »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:01 am
:spyder: Nobody liked the KC exclusive, smooth black G10 PM2 Cruwear either.
Correct. I'm nobody and I like it. (PM2 and Para 3.) Then again I have several smooth scaled "traditional" knives so it never presented an issue for me.
- Retired from the chase -