Forum Knife 2020 - No Holds Barred!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Forum Knife 2020 - No Holds Barred!!!

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 am
Could I talk you into this, but serrated? :rolleyes:

No. I like serrated, but the PE wharnie is such a great work knife as is. :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:07 pm
Competition chopper? This knife sounds very cool though. But what is the competition, do cooks get together and see who can chop
their way fastest through a bag of onions?
Competition chopper is for Bladesports. Really big guys (and girls) are chopping 2x2 block of wood, rope, tennis ball, more wood, straws......It´s about brute force, finesse and precision. And your blade has to hold up, because chipping in the blade are minus points....

On more serious note....

Native Chief in contoured carbon fiber with CPM 4V ground to 0,2 mm behind the edge.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:43 pm
Next idea: Make the very first batch of the Caly 3.5 LW the 2020 forum knife by giving it a special handle color or whatever ...
I'm game as long as it's green. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C22 Michael Walker with maroon or antique ivory linen micarta scales and any fun steel.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

K08 Santoku in the standard MBS-26 blade steel, but with a brown handle. Legal everywhere, affordable at under $100, and useful for those who use their forum knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

No spyderco model deserves to be the forum knife of 2020 more than the most iconic one : old school SS SE Police :spyder: . Bring it with titanium or natural G10 or even white FRN scales. In spyderedge of course :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

Been awhile since I've been here...but...I remain a tremendous fan...and this topic just compelled me to jump into the fray. OK, forum knife...Delica in SuperBlue and wire clip. I would cross mountains for this. In fact, just generally, more steel/color options in the wharncliffe configurations. Delica, Dragonfly etc...

Good to be back. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

speedseeker wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 am
Been awhile since I've been here...but...I remain a tremendous fan...and this topic just compelled me to jump into the fray. OK, forum knife...Delica in SuperBlue and wire clip. I would cross mountains for this. In fact, just generally, more steel/color options in the wharncliffe configurations. Delica, Dragonfly etc...

Welcome back! Funny, your last post before this is from when I even had not joined the forum yet...:)

Great suggestion! Though I would not need the wire clip necessarely
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Caribbean, or Sage 5 with Ti handles, integral comp lock, Vanax blade. Simple looking, but over the top blade material and lock mech.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I would vote for the Millie. Not only is it an awesome knife, but it's also the most videly famous Spyderco model. Of course IMHO)
archangel

Post by archangel »

No holds barred... Hmm...

My two pence: a Forum Knife must be something special. Specialty drives costs. A Forum Knife should be affordable to ALL true Spydienuts. A dilemma. Proposed solution: it's got to be a small model.

My dream would be another classic folder with a Damasteel blade. Scales can be anything except FRN - but it would be a crime to park a Damasteel blade in between FRN scales anyway, so at least G10. To keep the whole package affordable, G10 it is. In a nice special Forum Knife reserved color.

What's the smallest Golden made folder? There, you have MY Forum Knife 2020.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:25 am
Caribbean with Ti handles, integral comp lock, Vanax blade. Simple looking, but over the top blade material and lock mech.
Yes, times a bazillion!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
speedseeker

Post by speedseeker »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:20 am
speedseeker wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 am

Welcome back! Funny, your last post before this is from when I even had not joined the forum yet...:)

Great suggestion! Though I would not need the wire clip necessarely
Thanks! Yea I used to be a Spydie Junky...and then...well..kids, hobbies etc. You know. Now that I've dipped my toes back in i'm realizing just how much I've missed. I posted in the other forum how sick I am that I missed the Rex 45 Millie. Was a HUGE Millie fan and now i'm enamored with Jazzie's Wharny models. And in teh HAP 40? Wow. Good to be back and thanks for the welcome.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I mean if we're going completely crazy here.....

Phoenix, LC200N blade, Damascus bolster and liners, Jade g10.
"Seven for One"
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:42 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Caribbean with Ti handles, integral comp lock, Vanax blade. Simple looking, but over the top blade material and lock mech.
Yes, times a bazillion!
I'd like this too.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Yes, times a bazillion!
What I actually wrote was "Caribbean, or Sage 5 (emphasis added to this self quotation for clarity) with Ti handles, integral comp lock, Vanax blade. Simple looking, but over the top blade material and lock mech." So, when quoting, please use the standard practice of ellipsis (...) to indicate when you've deleted something from the original statement. Thanks in advance. :)

That out of the way, thanks for your support of the integral comp lock idea. :D
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Native 5 LW in m390 steel.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Yes, times a bazillion!
What I actually wrote was "Caribbean, or Sage 5 (emphasis added to this self quotation for clarity) with Ti handles, integral comp lock, Vanax blade. Simple looking, but over the top blade material and lock mech." So, when quoting, please use the standard practice of ellipsis (...) to indicate when you've deleted something from the original statement. Thanks in advance. :)

That out of the way, thanks for your support of the integral comp lock idea. :D
Yea, I doubt that will be happening. I'm lucky just to keep my grammar at an acceptable level(and to not offend everyone). :p

As for the Integral comp lock, I've been begging Sal for one ever since he spoke about a Caribbean XL with a T.I.C(?). I'd be a buyer of any Caribbean variation though...

Also, It would be awesome if it was machined identical to the standard one, but with a contoured handle. I'm drooling...

Didn't care much for the Sage platform. Not bad, just not my favorite.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

A current design Ti frame lock Mille. S35VN or XHP. Especially if there's a chance this will be phased out in favour of a compression lock.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Titanium PPT with steel lock face insert and ti standoffs and solid ti liners for ease of cleaning and low weight. LC200 blade, Taichung transport proof wood (stabilized?). Also Taichung should also specify “Earth” on their blades.