What is your dominant hand / forum statistics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your dominant hand

Left hand
21%
Right hand
74%
Ambidextrous
5%

Total votes: 144

pantagana23

Re: What is your dominant hand / forum statistics

Post by pantagana23 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 am
The poll is still running 3:1, right handed:left handed. That’s a lot more lefties than in the general population. Interesting. Righty here.
I think this was expected.

Spyderco is the only producer that has that many options for left-handers.

Hoping to get more votes to have a better picture though.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I'm a lefty.

Actually I use my left hand for tasks requiring fine control like writing, drawing and using a knife. Although I shoot right handed.

I use my right hand and foot for strength related tasks, like throwing, kicking a ball, and swinging a hammer, axe or machete.

I was wondering why I use small tools like knives in my left hand, and larger tools in my right, and tested out where the transition point is, once. The crossover point seems to be about a 10" long blade. I can use the 9" bladed Becker BK9 about the same in both hands, although it will unconsciously end up in the left for fine work, and in the right for chopping!
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

I am a little ambidextrous as I only do some things with my left hand, but I do favor my right hand, so I consider myself right handed.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Proportion of left-handed people in a given population has been increasing over the past few decades. Mainly due to higher social acceptance. When I was in grade school 30 years ago multiple teachers recommended to my parents they could "fix" my handedness. When I mentioned this to a current school system administrator who is an acquaintance of mine she looked aghast and said they would never even mention a child's handedness now.

Pop stats used to give lefties as 10% of the population and now it's 15% - probably actually closer to 20-25% based on the various college survey results I've seen over the years.

I'm exclusively lefty now but I had to learn specifically how to manipulate the locks with my left hand on my knives when I first got into the hobby back 2004/2005. My routine used to be right pocket carry, retrieve and open knife with right hand, transfer to left hand to cut, transfer back to right hand to close and replace into pocket. Took a few weeks to get down LH carry, open/close.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 am
Proportion of left-handed people in a given population has been increasing over the past few decades. Mainly due to higher social acceptance. When I was in grade school 30 years ago multiple teachers recommended to my parents they could "fix" my handedness. When I mentioned this to a current school system administrator who is an acquaintance of mine she looked aghast and said they would never even mention a child's handedness now.

Pop stats used to give lefties as 10% of the population and now it's 15% - probably actually closer to 20-25% based on the various college survey results I've seen over the years.

I'm exclusively lefty now but I had to learn specifically how to manipulate the locks with my left hand on my knives when I first got into the hobby back 2004/2005. My routine used to be right pocket carry, retrieve and open knife with right hand, transfer to left hand to cut, transfer back to right hand to close and replace into pocket. Took a few weeks to get down LH carry, open/close.
Interesting.

My grandmother was left handed and was ‘cured’ of it at school by the teacher give her a good crack on the left hand with a metre long blackboard ruler, every time she used that hand. Apparently the left handers ruined the orderly appearance of the rows of students at their desks writing. And I suppose it resulted in smeared ink when fountain pens were used.

I had a similar difficulty when younger with scissors and tools that I had to open in my right hand and pass over to my left hand to use. Quite recently I was given a right handed spring loaded ‘safety knife’ as jobsite equipment which needed to either be held open with your non dominant right thumb, or used upside down for leftys!

No thanks!

One thing that really irritates me is right hand biased industrial safety switches, controls and cut-out buttons on worksite plant and powered machinery.

Thankfully now we have companies like Spyderco.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am right-handed, right eye dominant, shooting right hand bow.
I strongly believe that you should use any tool as you want, not as someone else says. For example, I read right hand person should hold axe with left hand closer to the end of handle and right hand closer to bit.
I am holding it exactly opposite.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45