KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderPhreak

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Grr. 10 minutes and can't get to checkout. :mad:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Good grief. That was the most painful cart experience I've ever had. Finally loaded, and looks like I got my order in. :)

blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Same here. 15 min before I could get the order submitted. The first time I received an error when the confirmation screen tried to load so I never received the confirmation number. Tried again, the confirmation screen loaded but I never received an email. I called and sent them a screenshot since they said they still didn’t see it. Hopefully they reply saying everything is good.
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

In stock!!!
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Just received my confirmation 😆😁
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Wow, still shows in stock... :eek:
Hatchet 7419 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 am
Just received my confirmation 😆😁
Hatchet, do you mean you received a confirmation e-mail? I haven't gotten one yet.
blueblur wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:24 am
Same here. 15 min before I could get the order submitted. The first time I received an error when the confirmation screen tried to load so I never received the confirmation number. Tried again, the confirmation screen loaded but I never received an email. I called and sent them a screenshot since they said they still didn’t see it. Hopefully they reply saying everything is good.
Yeah, I'm on hold. I got a confirmation on the web, but no e-mail either.

EDIT: Just got my e-mail! :D :cool: :spyder:

Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

In stock... got my confirmation... woot woot :D :D
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Yeah, wow. Thought these would go fast. Still available... :eek:

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 am
The whole world must have saw my post :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 am
The whole world must have saw my post :p
Lol. I'm in Buffalo right now for work. Was going to offer to buy yours off of you if I didn't score today... ;)

My CruCarta one sits here with me, brought me good luck! :spyder:

Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Got an email confirmation
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Still in stock
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Still shows as in stock for me, plus I'm passing yet again on this so one more available. Seems a lot to pay for cheap dyed birch plywood scales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Can somebody enlighten me why people are commenting saying the scales are "cheap". I doubt getting the contours just right on these is anything but easy.

If I recall correctly many users basically said the same thing for the initial Shaman. "200 bucks for g10 and s30v too expensive, pass". Now you have a rare blade steel with a good looking handle for same price, wnd you still find a reason to complain. :confused:
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Just got my pre-order in the mail today and unfortunately it’s gonna be getting sent back. I was hesitant at first to cancel my preorder when I saw the orange G10 version coming out but I thought to stick with it since it has a wood handle and I don’t have any in my collection. Well, the wood scales just don’t do for me.

First of all it’s not really an imperfection but there is a to me what looks like a water stain on the front scale and it just stands out. I’m guessing it’s just the way the laminate was done. Secondly the cut out for the lock bar tab is super thin and I can already see that the laminate wood is separating since it’s so thin at that point.

While the concept is really nice I am definitely going to just stick to G10 from now on. I hope the rest of you will enjoy yours more than I have.

I would post a picture but it’s already back in its box and ready to be shipped out.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 pm
Can somebody enlighten me why people are commenting saying the scales are "cheap". I doubt getting the contours just right on these is anything but easy.

If I recall correctly many users basically said the same thing for the initial Shaman. "200 bucks for g10 and s30v too expensive, pass". Now you have a rare blade steel with a good looking handle for same price, wnd you still find a reason to complain. :confused:
I'm sure the scales aren't cheap, in terms of price to manufacture them. But when looking at them, and feeling them in hand...they just have a cheap feeling to them. I too was very excited initially for more Rex45 and scales that I thought were going to be very comparable to the Pakkawood scales. I'm left disappointed and will be trying to return mine or sell it. Tried to love it last night once I got home, just can't do it.

Off topic...does anybody know where you can get some Shaman scales?? I'm having trouble finding any. I don't really want to get rid of the knife because I love the model and steel. That's my only hope for keeping this one :o
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Aaaaaaannndd two hours later.... Still available! :eek:

Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm sure the scales aren't cheap, in terms of price to manufacture them. But when looking at them, and feeling them in hand...they just have a cheap feeling to them. I too was very excited initially for more Rex45 and scales that I thought were going to be very comparable to the Pakkawood scales. I'm left disappointed and will be trying to return mine or sell it. Tried to love it last night once I got home, just can't do it.

Off topic...does anybody know where you can get some Shaman scales?? I'm having trouble finding any. I don't really want to get rid of the knife because I love the model and steel. That's my only hope for keeping this one :o
You could try searching around the Facebook forum, I saw a posting there. A lot of them will probably be through small independent makers. I should be getting mine in tonight, I'm curious to see how it stacks up against my original. :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t think they are cheap. Maybe I contributed to that by calling them plywood. It is similar but not exactly plywood.

Look at it this way. CF, G10 and micarta are layered composites made with different fabrics. Pakkawood is just a layered composite made from thin layers of wood with alternating grain direction.

Pakkawood is no more or no less “cheap and plastic” as those other composites. It is a durable material that is environmentally stable that looks like wood instead of looking like canvas or carbon fibers.

I have a heavily used hunting rifle with a laminate stock and from my experience the stuff is very very durable and impervious to the elements.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Agreed Darby. I have some scales for my Mules made from a similar material from Halpern, and personally, I like them.