Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by Hobnob »

Sure would like to see the Delica in K390 as a production model. If not it sure would be nice a have a larger quantity of sprints produced.
blendergasket

Re: Quick question: Upcoming K390 Endura family: Sprint runs or regular production?

Post by blendergasket »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 pm
The plan is for a sprint series. I'd like to do all of the models in the "Endura family". I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal
I'd buy a stretch and dragonfly in K390. Possibly an endura too.

I love the color of the K390 ladybug and I hope the Sprint follows that color scheme.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I will likely buy them all, but it would be nice to see a straight spine stretch in the mix.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal

Please do the Delica wharncliffe. For some reason, I really like that knife a lot. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 am
I can't recall if it was ever said whether or not the entire K390 Endura Family will be sprint or regular production but, the K390 Ladybug in Reveal 4 is listed as a new regular production model.

If that's any indication for the rest of the K390 Endura family, I would guess they'll be regular production. :spyder:

(This is just speculation though)

I agree with this assessment! I would think maybe ZDP-189 will be phased out in favor of production K390. Looking forward to the Delica, Endura, and Dragonfly. I'll grab my first Endela as well if this one happens.

I really hope they don't do that! I love ZDP-189, and British racing green is one of my favorites.
Ditto. I love K390, perhaps even more, but I don't want to lose ZDP. The ZDP Dragonfly is a go-to knife for me. I've gifted at least 10 of them. I guess I might need to stock up. :)

On the other hand, I'm super excited for a K390 Dragonfly.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
The plan is for a sprint series. I'd like to do all of the models in the "Endura family". I'd be intrested in what additional blade configs you wight also like?

sal
Definitely a Straight Spine Stretch! and a Dragonfly to go with.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:

sal
I'd like to see the Delica and Dragonfly Wharncliffes in K390 too.

The HAP40 Jazzlica is one of my most used work knives. A K390 version would be amazing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 am
sal wrote:

sal

The HAP40 Jazzlica is one of my most used work knives. A K390 version would be amazing.

Do you think K390 would be a proper steel for a serrated version of the Wharnie Delica too? Or are serrations better kept in a "softer" steel like VG10? (I can remember something along the lines that ZDP turned out to be TOO hard (brittle?) to become a main steel for serrated edges, so the ZDP SE Spydies where discountinued).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

Cambertree wrote:

I would like multiples of those two knives. Hope plenty get made.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Wait, so the ladybug is the only non Sprint?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:37 pm
Wait, so the ladybug is the only non Sprint?
I'm confused too. Would seem odd if only the Ladybug K390 is regular production.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cambertree wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Yes to these!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foghorne wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:50 pm
Cambertree wrote:

I would like multiples of those two knives. Hope plenty get made.
Perhaps 1200 per model? In any case less than 1500 I assume. Though lately there where hints that Spyderco is thinking about maybe raising the available numbers of (some?) sprint runs.

In any case I´d hope no one will grab "multiple" of one sprint model, so that anyone who is interested can at least get one or two... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:05 am
Do you think K390 would be a proper steel for a serrated version of the Wharnie Delica too? Or are serrations better kept in a "softer" steel like VG10? (I can remember something along the lines that ZDP turned out to be TOO hard (brittle?) to become a main steel for serrated edges, so the ZDP SE Spydies where discountinued).
Hey Wartstein, thanks for the question, my friend. :)

I’ve wondered the same thing myself. I presume Spyderco do pretty extensive R&D testing of all the steels they use, including trying out prototype mules in SE to see how they perform.

Although I’m no expert on serrated edges, I very much like the performance of the ones I have in ingot stainless steels at around the 59 Rc mark (or perhaps less in the case of H1).

We all know the virtues of H1 in SE, but I think Ginsanko/G1 in my UKPK makes an excellent serrated edge, being relatively tough in practical use, and easy to bring to razor sharpness.

VG10 is probably my favourite SE steel I’ve tried so far.

By most accounts LC200N and CTS BD1N seem to be excellent performers in SE as well. Although I haven’t tried either, I have an SE Caribbean on my ‘long list’ to complement my PE version, and have a SE Z-Cut currently on the way to Australia, so I can play with CTS BD1N in SE.

All these steels sit in a fairly similar kind of performance niche.

I’d guess there’s a reason why Spyderco don’t offer SE blades in S110V. You also don’t tend to hear that many accolades about S30V in SE - I’m not saying it isn’t a good performer in SE, just that you don’t tend to hear the same volume of praise you do compared to, say, HI SE.

I think I recall too Sal might have said ZDP189 wasn’t ideal for SE blades.

Those SE edges are ground quite thin and to a very acute angle - around 16-17 degrees inclusive on some knives - and the tips of the teeth take more impact damage than PE when cutting on hard surfaces.

So on the one hand, K390 is also run fairly hard - between about 62 and 65 RC - and has a relatively high carbide volume. Given these qualities, we might expect it to be less than ideal for SE.

On the other hand, it does take a fairly thin, acute edge and remains quite stable. My K390 knives have never noticeably chipped from ‘normal’ rough utility use.

I remember when K390 was new, a couple of Bohler employees were discussing it on another forum. A knifemaker asked if it would be suitable steel to make a thinly ground straight razor from.

The Bohler metallurgists said it would make an excellent straight razor.

At the time I was a little dubious of this, given the high carbide volume, but after using three different thinly reground K390 knives for a while, I’m willing to believe it might work in that application.

So all that’s a roundabout way of saying In real world use, K390 might actually work quite well in a SE blade.

But I guess it also depends on what materials you would be cutting with it.
sal

Post by sal »

It was decided that the K390 Endura family series will NOT be a Sprint, but regular "In-the-line" models.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Woo hoo!!!!

This is big!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:33 am
Woo hoo!!!!

This is big!!!!
That is big! At some point I'll probably add a Dragonfly and Delica
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 am
It was decided that the K390 Endura family series will NOT be a Sprint, but regular "In-the-line" models.

sal
Wooo hooo!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

Thanks so much Sal, this is great news!! :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:

sal
But more importantly, can I get a Straight Spine Stretch? :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.