Pendant knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Pendant knife

Post by Doc Dan »

Titanium would be a good scale option paired with LC200N. That would make a Bug pendant that would be very light weight and corrosion proof.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 pm
Titanium would be a good scale option paired with LC200N. That would make a Bug pendant that would be very light weight and corrosion proof.
I like your thinking. The stainless Mini mariner is lightweight but you do have to watch the corrosion.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A pendant knife needs to be small when closed, just the right size and looks to be worn as jewelry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Post by 013 »

Ti & S90V?
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
This is the right way to think, I'm in!

Where do we pay? :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
This is the right way to think, I'm in!

Where do we pay? :p
Yeah, I’m in line already and no word from Sal.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jdw

Post by jdw »

Heck, I will join you in line Doc. This is a great idea. I am finding that my EDC rotation knives are decreasing in the typical size of knife that I carry and this would be a great addition to my new trend.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

We've done number of pendant knives in the past. None have been great sellers. The cost of making a smaller knife in pendant size can be more expensive than a larger model due to the difficulty of working with the small size. The bug is made in China hence it's low cost. You are asking for titanium and exotic steel in a pendant knife? That could cost like jewelry. Even more so if it locks.

sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would be willing to pay jewelry prices for a piece of nice jewelry. It's also an investment in craftsmanship and art. I can also see where it's not really wise financially for a broad market though.
--Wovoka
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some versions show up more often than others, but Spyderkeys (aka Hummingbirds) show up on eBay quite frequently and would be one option for someone wanting a "functional jewelry" pendant knife. You'd just have to supply your own chain or cord.

Last edited by The Deacon on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Those are beautiful, Paul and thank you also for a great idea. You continually blow me away with some of the incredible knives that you have. As always, thank you for sharing.
Last edited by jdw on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sal,
What do you thing the end cost of a Ti handled, LC200N pendant knife would be?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am
We've done number of pendant knives in the past. None have been great sellers. The cost of making a smaller knife in pendant size can be more expensive than a larger model due to the difficulty of working with the small size. The bug is made in China hence it's low cost. You are asking for titanium and exotic steel in a pendant knife? That could cost like jewelry. Even more so if it locks.

sal

I'd be ok with a slip joint, the Bug's back spring is plenty strong enough to keep the blade closed and safe and I really don't see the advantages of a lock on such a tiny knife. Depending on cost I would be ok with "jewelry cost" since for the most part that's exactly what this would be, but I understand it may not be a hot seller. If it comes in the aforementioned titanium and LC200N I'd be very interested. I very much like the idea of it being rust proof.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Count me in on this, especially if it goes higher-end with Ti scales and a corrosion-resistant steel. A locking mechanism would be ideal, like the original Ti Police pendant knife, but I’d still be interested if it was a slip-joint. I too am willing to pay a higher price for a jewelry-quality piece that can be worn daily.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:12 am

sal
I’m in if it’s not too big. A Bug is just right. I guess China made would be okay if need be (said with gritted teeth). What about the Cat maker in Taiwan! I don’t know. Maybe a silly idea.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I have all the pendants made so far, plus a few Hummingbirds so I'm not going to stop if another one is made. Oh, and of course I have 3 daughters and a wife that will want one.

Post by 013 »

Mini2white wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm
I have all the pendants made so far, plus a few Hummingbirds so I'm not going to stop if another one is made. Oh, and of course I have 3 daughters and a wife that will want one.
Any chance of a pendant group photo?
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

013 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Any chance of a pendant group photo?
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I've long been a fan of the pendant knife concept and have hoped that Spyderco would do a collaboration with Serge Panchenko and release a Spyderco version of the Coin Claw. (I have and wear a Coin Claw regularly)

While the utilitarian aspects of the dog tag knife and squarehead are undeniable, they seem to fail when it comes to aesthetics and I personally don't classify them as functional "jewelry."

While I would count myself as one of the people that would like to see a fancy pendant knife, I believe Spyderco is reading the market correctly, it would have very limited appeal. For example as beautiful as many of the ones shown are, I wouldn't buy anything unless it was in plain edge. I would also want titanium and an upgraded blade (Lc200n). While I might pay $200 for my ideal pendant knife, I cannot believe it would be a profitable item.

Grizz
sal

Post by sal »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 pm
Sal,
What do you thing the end cost of a Ti handled, LC200N pendant knife would be?
Probably the same as any Ti LC folder.

sal