Looking for an EDC/slimmer wallet

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ThomC

Looking for an EDC/slimmer wallet

Post by ThomC »

Hey folks,

So I figure a lot of us here are into EDC or trying to reduce the stuff we have in our pocket, minimizing etc.
My old leather wallet is starting to show its age, and I've been meaning to get something much smaller. So I started looking at what the market has to offer and man am I lost. Especially since I like to hold the thing I'm about to buy and see what it feels like.

Thus, here I am wondering what you fine folks use as a replacement for the traditional wallet, what it's made of, and why you picked it.

Pics are welcome and encouraged !
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
bearrowland

Re: Looking for an EDC/slimmer wallet

Post by bearrowland »

I'm with you! We were just talking about finding slimmer wallets the other day at work. I'm packing a 1/2 inch wallet!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

My painter walked into my office last night right before we went home, he showed me a kydex wallet with a carbon fiber pattern to it, it had a pretty substantial metal money clip on one side. Very nice looking and thin, looked to me like a front pocket wallet. He said a local guy here in town made it.
Last edited by benben on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I eliminated my wallet and got one of those phone cases that holds three cards in it. I only carry my phone, which has my license and one card in it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I tried the phone cover for a couple of years, the I found a very slim leather bifold wallet that fits in my front pocket.

I’ve seen some interesting metal and kydex wallets but have no direct experience with them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

benben wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am
My painter walked into my office last night right before we went home, he showed my a kydex wallet with a carbon fiber pattern to it, it had a pretty substantial metal money clip on one side. Very nice looking and thin, looked to me like a front pocket wallet. He said a local guy here in town made it.
I just asked the man who made a custom Kydex sheath and some belt loops for one of my knives if he knew someone who did that. I saw MD Textil had some interesting designs too, I'm not against something folding as long as I can trim my wallet. It's about 1" thick because of the wear and the stuff in it...
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:33 am
I tried the phone cover for a couple of years, the I found a very slim leather bifold wallet that fits in my front pocket.

I’ve seen some interesting metal and kydex wallets but have no direct experience with them.
I'd rather have something distinct from my phone too. I've seen too many of my customers with non- or malfunctioning cards because they're stuck to their phones all day and end up getting demagnetized(?)
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use a corter leather standard card holder. Wanted something for my cards and some cash. Got tired of sitting on the big bulky bifold wallets.

I keep my drivers license and debit card on one side and my credit cards and insurance cards on the other. A few bills in the middle.

Depends what you put in it but mine is about as thick as a native 5 lw
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Check out Recycled Firefighter’s fire hose wallets. I’ve carried one of their Fire Hose Sergeant front pocket wallets for the past 4-5 years and it still looks brand new. I’ve been very happy with it. The Fire Hose Sergeant is a minimalist wallet design, but they do make other wallets too. The best part is that they’re relatively inexpensive:

https://recycledfirefighter.com/product ... gLHo_D_BwE
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ThomC wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 am
Thus, here I am wondering what you fine folks use as a replacement for the traditional wallet, what it's made of, and why you picked it.
“Thin” is a very important quality for me. I’m old-school, and like my holsters, belts, and wallet to be made of leather. The company that meets my needs is "Big Skinny." They make a great wallet that is unbelievably thin. My full wallet is thinner than many empty wallets. I think they make wallets of synthetic materials, too, if you want to get really crazy. Google and Amazon can help you find "Big Skinny."
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Check out MacGregor Customs (https://www.macgregorcustoms.com/product/custom-wallets) I’ve got a wallet for myself, one for my wife and a total custom case for my “edc” gear. You can get stuff he’s got on hand, plain or send him pics for a custom look.
368B2C4A-DBFD-4CB8-A667-D8C28066016E.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Flowfold

Review I did on mine many years back http://www.woodsmonkey.com/flowfold-wallet-review
Attachments
PMEDC2.jpg
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bought this on EBay a few year back for a few dollars.

It’s leather, nicely made and holds six cards and a few notes.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's perfect! Considering that Mrs Rowland holds all the notes, a few cards is all I really need to carry 😄
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 pm
Flowfold

I got a black recycled sailcloth Flowfold Vanguard bifold in 2015 and have been EDC'ng it ever since. Bought a spare and I don't know that I'll ever need it. Made in the U.S.A., as light as three sheets of 8×11 paper.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 pm
Check out Recycled Firefighter’s fire hose wallets. I’ve carried one of their Fire Hose Sergeant front pocket wallets for the past 4-5 years and it still looks brand new. I’ve been very happy with it. The Fire Hose Sergeant is a minimalist wallet design, but they do make other wallets too. The best part is that they’re relatively inexpensive:

https://recycledfirefighter.com/product ... gLHo_D_BwE
I've checked them out and I like their designs, but shipping to Europe is the price of an extra wallet...
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've carried this for 5 years, never any issues. https://www.amazon.com/NOMATIC-Minimali ... 698&sr=8-1
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've carried this for 5 years. never any issues. https://www.flipsidewallet.com/products ... e-4-wallet.

But, I'm a version or two behind now and, being a sucker for CQI, will upgrade. Because.

Check the DEMO video, but be aware of bill sizes.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Doesn't get much smaller or minimal than a few rubber bands which is the exact reason I've been rocking this setup for the last 40 years.

-Turbo
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm about a month in since switching from a slim leather bifold. My buddy had been pushing me to try a Ridge wallet. I borrowed his a few times, and I liked it, but it was a little fumbly and I wanted to see what else was out there. So I did a deep dive into the minimalist/metal/sandwich wallet world. The vertical style seemed like it might work better for me. I didn't master the Ridge, but I had a hard time getting a card out without taking all the cards out. More time might have fixed that.
My top 3 picks were the Westmade Arrow (made in Vancouver, WA), Aviator Slide (made in Alzenau Germany) and the GeoGrit (made in Mount Dora, FL).
I went with the Westmade Arrow marbled carbon fiber with anodized red aluminum.
It doesn't look like the marbled CF is currently an option, but they have still have twill CF or G10 options. The cheaper G10 option was very tempting.
So far it's been great. I've just been throwing it in my back pocket like my old wallet. Slimmer, smaller & lighter. It's easier to forget it's back there. And it's not bad if I keep it in a front pocket with my phone. The cash cutout is nice. Cash doesn't budge. Impeccable fit and finish. If I had to find a flaw, it would be that the wallet is slightly bigger than the cards, so there's a slight overhang. Not really a big deal though.
I ordered on a Thursday night and it shipped on the following Monday. It says they're made to order. Three days after that, it was in my mailbox.
I should have waited for a sale, but if you check YouTube reviews, some of them have coupon codes in the video descriptions.
Highly recommended.
👍

I may have also ordered an Aviator during their Black Friday sale.

•• Beau