So I stripped a pivot screw.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: So I stripped a pivot screw.

Post by PStone »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:50 am
The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 am
Have you ever encountered a Spyderco with a D slot for the pivot or body screws where the outer hollow "nut" portion had a Torx, Allen, or Phillips head? My experience disassembling Spydercos is admittedly limited, but any such fasteners I've encountered had simple flat or domed heads, so no way you could try and turn them.
Hi Paul, the the newer Military’s have a “D” pivot pin and torx socket on both sides and the Advocate is the same too as is the PM2 I think. :)
Hi Bloke, I'm aware of those and, as already noted, those have two usable screws, so if you strip one it's not because of the D shaped central "nut", it's user error. What I was questioning was whether any of the models that use a single pivot screw that screws into a hollow "nut" that has one flat side to fit the D shaped holes in the liners had provision for a driver on both sides so that someone could inadvertently try to turn the D shaped hollow nut.
Deacon, I know you’re addressing Bloke, and apologize if this is rude to do. But the spydiechef is the way you describe. It’s the only one I know of, but I can also check my advocate when I get home tonight.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PStone wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:46 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am
I don't recall ever seeing one that had a screw head that wasn't actually a screw? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the topic here. The Military had a dome head on one side and lots of knives were like that back in the day. I know for sure the screw I stripped is in fact a screw because I have another Caribbean that I've had both sides of the pivot out of.
The spydiechef has a “faux” torx head on a female pivot. At least mine did. So if one was to try and disassemble the knife, they have to know to only turn the show side pivot. Lock side will not turn. Maybe cqi changed that recently though.

I don't have a Spydiechef so I'm not familiar with those screws. You're certain one side isn't just thread locked really good?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It is difficult to see a good reason for putting a Torx recess on a barrel nut that has a D-shaped engagement with the scale or liner. I suppose it could function as a backup should the D-shaped hole in the scale become rounded, but it would also then function as a trap for end line users who didn’t know about the hidden D.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 am
PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing one that had a screw head that wasn't actually a screw? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the topic here. The Military had a dome head on one side and lots of knives were like that back in the day. I know for sure the screw I stripped is in fact a screw because I have another Caribbean that I've had both sides of the pivot out of.
The spydiechef has a “faux” torx head on a female pivot. At least mine did. So if one was to try and disassemble the knife, they have to know to only turn the show side pivot. Lock side will not turn. Maybe cqi changed that recently though.

I don't have a Spydiechef so I'm not familiar with those screws. You're certain one side isn't just thread locked really good?
I don’t think so. But very possible. I no longer have my chef so I can’t verify 100%. I will double check my advocate and lil nilakka tonight. For some reason I think the lil nilakka was the same way too. Will know for sure tonight.

I too can’t think of a good reason to do such a thing. Appearances/symmetry is the only reason I can think of.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PStone wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:40 am
Evil D wrote:
PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I don’t think so. But very possible. I no longer have my chef so I can’t verify 100%. I will double check my advocate and lil nilakka tonight. For some reason I think the lil nilakka was the same way too. Will know for sure tonight.

I too can’t think of a good reason to do such a thing. Appearances/symmetry is the only reason I can think of.

I like symmetry but it seems like you'd be asking to strip that side, seems like a warranty headache waiting to happen.
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Evil D wrote:

I think this may be the case I had with my chef. Apologies for misinformation :o Lil Nilakka is def two screws, but I absolutely cannot separate the lock side screw from the pivot. Really locked in. It does look to be a single piece though, until you look really closely. Checked Advocate too. Is 100% two separate screws as I can turn each one easily.

Pic of lil nilakka pivot taken just now:
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:
PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:

The spydie chef has two actual screws on each side. Both sides can be removed.

The only spyderco knives that has a fixed sided D pivot, are the ones with a dome or "show" side that you can't turn anyway.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am
PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:
PStone wrote:

I like symmetry but it seems like you'd be asking to strip that side, seems like a warranty headache waiting to happen.
How so? Warranty doesn't cover the damage you do to your knife trying to take it apart.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am
PStone wrote:
Evil D wrote:

How so? Warranty doesn't cover the damage you do to your knife trying to take it apart.

Making a "screw" that is not actually a screw. It doesn't matter if they warranty it or not they'd have a headache just from people asking about it. Why make something look like a screw if it isn't?
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm

The spydie chef has two actual screws on each side. Both sides can be removed.

The only spyderco knives that has a fixed sided D pivot, are the ones with a dome or "show" side that you can't turn anyway.
Roger that. Thanks for verifying. I think my confusion comes from not having known the difference between a pivot and a bushing. But I think I do now. Bushings are stepped and pivots are not? I can’t remove a bushing without a taking both screws out. I can however remove a pivot with only one screw out. Only in my case, the second screw is so locked in, I thought it was one piece. Looking closer now at the nilakka pivot, I am assuming I made the same mistake with my chef.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 am
Hi Bloke, I'm aware of those and, as already noted, those have two usable screws, so if you strip one it's not because of the D shaped central "nut", it's user error. What I was questioning was whether any of the models that use a single pivot screw that screws into a hollow "nut" that has one flat side to fit the D shaped holes in the liners had provision for a driver on both sides so that someone could inadvertently try to turn the D shaped hollow nut.
Ah, yes, now I understand.

I do beg your pardon, Paul. I miss understood your question. :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin