Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Post by SG89 »

I figure average of $200 each for around 15 Delicas =3k. I have no idea tho just guessing. Collecting Spydies is getting so much harder especially the last few years. Glad I don't collect. Can't afford it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea eBay really put the brakes on the fun the past couple years. No more coupons, and now being taxed with every purchase...really puts a damper on paying for knives $150+, especially if shipping is included...it's suddenly around $180. We used to all get so excited for those coupons, we'd flock to eBay like there was some kind of sprint/exclusive being dropped :(
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah those ebay coupons were the best
Spydergirl88
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:17 pm
Why the Delica?? That's an extremely daunting task for a knife that has been surpassed by many within it's price range these days. Do you know how many variations there are of the Delica over the years?? I'm sorry, but that's a crazy dream man! Hope you have A LOT of disposable income.

I don't think it's that daunting, as I'm only looking at Delica 4's, in FRN with the typical blade shapes...no wharnies or anything like that, so that's only 13 variations, not that bad.

And as far as other knives that have surpassed the Delica 4, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think what one considers the perfect EDC is completely subjective, and for me, It's the Delica 4 all the way; perfect overall size, perfect blade size, great weight coming in at just 2.3/2.4oz, feels great in my hands, love the aesthetics of it both when closed and open, love the blade profile etc... There's not another knife that I can think of that offers everything the Delica does for me. I mean the Para 3 LW comes close, but even the Para 3 LW is a close second to the Delica 4 IMO.

But again, completely subjective, so I may disagree with you, but respect your opinion of course.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 pm
I figure average of $200 each for around 15 Delicas =3k. I have no idea tho just guessing. Collecting Spydies is getting so much harder especially the last few years. Glad I don't collect. Can't afford it.

Nah, I don't think anywhere near $200, we're talking all FRN here, no crazy scales in Titanium or Carbon Fiber. I just picked up a Discontinued Damascus LNIB for under Street Price.

This can of course differ when getting to some of the "premium steels", but believe me, if I start seeing $200 prices for a Delica 4, I don't care what Delica 4, I can be out of this collecting decision as quickly as I entered it, and I'll just collect the ones that strike my fancy and price range :D

Just thought it was a cool idea.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah it's a cool idea for sure just saying it might get expensive... I was picturing the 3 bone handled delicas in my mind (25th anniversary, blue bone sprint and orange bone sprint) plus trying to find a ffg pink frn sprint, and Superblue sprint
Spydergirl88
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 am
Yeah it's a cool idea for sure just saying it might get expensive... I was picturing the 3 bone handled delicas in my mind (25th anniversary, blue bone sprint and orange bone sprint) plus trying to find a ffg pink frn sprint, and Superblue sprint

Ya, for sure, but I eliminated all of those, because I'm not really into them. No Bone, Titanium, or Carbon Fiber scales. The Pink FRN I thought about and passed. I also wasn't really into the LE or NASA releases either.

I may still eliminate some from my list of 13, as there are overlapping FRN colors. I really don't need every single "premium steel" Delica, as I don't find much use in my day to day of opening packages lol. I might just stick to the Delica's that stand out, like the neat Zome colors, or the Damascus I just purchased, I thought the Super Gold Steel represented by a gold lock bar was kinda neat, variations like this. In the end, might just be left with 10 or so to hunt down.

Believe you me, collecting knives is a lot less expensive than my watch collection :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Man, this and the whole rosewood vs. pakkawood ordeal - I hope there's further clarification on future exclusives... Like I said before - sounds like a great base if you planned on swapping scales anyways
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:41 am
Man, this and the whole rosewood vs. pakkawood ordeal - I hope there's further clarification on future exclusives... Like I said before - sounds like a great base if you planned on swapping scales anyways
I think you're lost? Wrong thread? :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wow glad I passed on this one. Too much trouble over such a basic design wonder what happened?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Not lost - just wondering why things aren't the way the dealers are describing them

The pakkawood REX 45 Shaman was originally sold as rosewood
This was sold as a black FRN handle with blue liners - paint is not a liner -
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:36 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Not lost - just wondering why things aren't the way the dealers are describing them

The pakkawood REX 45 Shaman was originally sold as rosewood
This was sold as a black FRN handle with blue liners - paint is not a liner -
Ah got it. Sorry, I guess it was me who was lost
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SleeplessInSoCal

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm
antnap124 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 am
Terrible purchase, knife came with a large unremovable black stain on the blade like another purchaser in this thread, however knifeworks wants me to spend $15 for returning shipping lmao never using that site ever again. They couldn't even give me $20 store credit for the trouble im going through or offer to pay for shipping. Ridiculous and terrible customer service. BUYER BEWARE
Hi, antnap124:
I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Please reach out to our Warranty & Repair Department for assistance. You'll find all of the information that you need here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

You'll be in great hands with our crew.

Kristi
Reading this thread prompted me to open my other box from KnifeWorks that I was planning on gifting to a close friend. I needed to make sure that there aren’t any ugly black stains/discolorations before I do.

Opened the box. Emailed KnifeWorks straight away.

Was told in very polite fashion to pound sand.

“ I apologize for any inconvenience thai has caused. You have a warranty through Spyderco and maybe can try contacting them . Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions or concerns. We appreciate your business and hope you have a great weekend!”

Looks like they still have these knives in stock, too.
Attachments
ADC074CB-2410-46C4-ACC1-F4777F1EA2DD.jpeg
JMM

Post by JMM »

I had a little bit of that on the tang of mine, Flitz & <60 sec took it right off.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:50 am

Ya, for sure, but I eliminated all of those, because I'm not really into them. No Bone, Titanium, or Carbon Fiber scales. The Pink FRN I thought about and passed. I also wasn't really into the LE or NASA releases either.

I may still eliminate some from my list of 13, as there are overlapping FRN colors. I really don't need every single "premium steel" Delica, as I don't find much use in my day to day of opening packages lol. I might just stick to the Delica's that stand out, like the neat Zome colors, or the Damascus I just purchased, I thought the Super Gold Steel represented by a gold lock bar was kinda neat, variations like this. In the end, might just be left with 10 or so to hunt down.

Believe you me, collecting knives is a lot less expensive than my watch collection :D
Grab that Cruwear Delica while you still can & prices are still reasonable.
SleeplessInSoCal

JMM wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 pm
I had a little bit of that on the tang of mine, Flitz & <60 sec took it right off.
Thanks for the tip!

Does the finish look different (less homogenous) at all after the Flitz treatment? I tried Flitz to remove fingerprints from my Rex 45 PM2, and the finish was noticeably and permanently altered, waaaaaay before the fingerprints started fading. (Fingerprints may not seem like a big deal, but I didn't want to have a clear image of one of my biometric markers to be floating around, from my jeans, to my truck's cupholder.)

My biggest concern is the heat treat being messed up in any way. Secondary concern is the aesthetics.
JMM

Post by JMM »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:28 am
JMM wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

Does the finish look different (less homogenous) at all after the Flitz treatment? I tried Flitz to remove fingerprints from my Rex 45 PM2, and the finish was noticeably and permanently altered, waaaaaay before the fingerprints started fading. (Fingerprints may not seem like a big deal, but I didn't want to have a clear image of one of my biometric markers to be floating around, from my jeans, to my truck's cupholder.)

My biggest concern is the heat treat being messed up in any way. Secondary concern is the aesthetics.
I don't believe the heat treat was messed up in any way on mine, granted 95% of it was on the tang, but I've used mine quite a bit and it seems completely consistent with what I would expect s90v in that stock/grind to be. The flitz on a damp cloth and about a minute of elbow grease, made it look like new, on the blade itself I would make your rubbing motions in the same direction as the grind, so, up and down, spine to blade, not side-to-side...

I have the Rex45 Para3 and had the PM2 -- and have the TreeRex & Manix2 OTW.... I am super confused about what you are describing regarding fingerprints and Flitz, I've never had an issue like that with old or new Rex45, and I have used my Para3 Rex45 probably more than any knife I own... I have gotten it filthy, and never had anything that dawn dishsoap and warm water didn't take off... what was on your fingers?
SleeplessInSoCal

JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
JMM wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

I don't believe the heat treat was messed up in any way on mine, granted 95% of it was on the tang, but I've used mine quite a bit and it seems completely consistent with what I would expect s90v in that stock/grind to be. The flitz on a damp cloth and about a minute of elbow grease, made it look like new, on the blade itself I would make your rubbing motions in the same direction as the grind, so, up and down, spine to blade, not side-to-side...

I have the Rex45 Para3 and had the PM2 -- and have the TreeRex & Manix2 OTW.... I am super confused about what you are describing regarding fingerprints and Flitz, I've never had an issue like that with old or new Rex45, and I have used my Para3 Rex45 probably more than any knife I own... I have gotten it filthy, and never had anything that dawn dishsoap and warm water didn't take off... what was on your fingers?
I don't remember what exactly was on my fingers, but my wife is a Los Angeles makeup artist who gets sent boxes of high end skincare regularly. So at the time I figured that I must have touched the blade right before bed with some sort of skincare acid on my hands, like glycolic acid. Though I don't remember doing so, and definitely didn't touch the blade with damp hands. It would've been at least half an hour later.

Honestly, it has colored my experience with REX 45 in such a way that I don't care to buy anymore of it. I loved the almost iridescence of the steel when I held it up to the sunlight. I loved the advertised potential.

Now I don't buy anything without at least 7% chromium, like Cru-Wear (which my wife put through the washer and dryer, with no ill effects). I may end up sending the knife to someone to regrind the blade.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Horses for courses, but a little staining on otherwise a great steel was enough to out you off?

Has this staining occured on any other s90v blades? Maybe it's seki still getting used to working with steels they're not familiar with
JMM

Post by JMM »

SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 am
JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 am
SleeplessInSoCal wrote:
JMM wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

I don't remember what exactly was on my fingers, but my wife is a Los Angeles makeup artist who gets sent boxes of high end skincare regularly. So at the time I figured that I must have touched the blade right before bed with some sort of skincare acid on my hands, like glycolic acid. Though I don't remember doing so, and definitely didn't touch the blade with damp hands. It would've been at least half an hour later.

Honestly, it has colored my experience with REX 45 in such a way that I don't care to buy anymore of it. I loved the almost iridescence of the steel when I held it up to the sunlight. I loved the advertised potential.

Now I don't buy anything without at least 7% chromium, like Cru-Wear (which my wife put through the washer and dryer, with no ill effects). I may end up sending the knife to someone to regrind the blade.
I am unaware of anything like this on any other models/runs, but would love to hear otherwise.

I would encourage you to not write off Rex45 in spite of your experience... it is exceptional steel, honestly and truly. It's been my favourite steel since the first Rex45 drop for a reason.... Granted it has shifted to my #2 spot in favor of 4V, but I have more use time and sharpening time with Rex45 than any other steel and I can assure you, it is wonderful, amazing stuff, I intend to buy one of every model of this current sprint, even if I don't care for the model, it's that good. Now if we can only get more 4V coming, I'll be living on TopRamen for the next six months or so.... WoooHoooo! :)