Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Woodpuppy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 am
sal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:57 pm
We're open to suggestions.

sal
Does this just refer to color suggestions?

I'd love an Endela with a choil. :-)
I think that would be called a PM2LW.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

sal wrote:

sal
Super blue! Come out swinging
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I’d be in for an orange and dlc or blue/dlc, toxic green/dlc or OMG a red g10/dlc 😱😱
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:23 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:10 am
sal wrote:

sal
Does this just refer to color suggestions?

I'd love an Endela with a choil. :-)
I think that would be called a PM2LW.
I'd be down for that as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 am
I’d be in for an orange and dlc or blue/dlc, toxic green/dlc or OMG a red g10/dlc 😱😱

No additional color options for the Endela in the 2020 product guide (while the ffg VG10 Endura has like seven plus zome) :(
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SleeplessInSoCal

Post by SleeplessInSoCal »

sal wrote:

sal
I guess just drop a Cruwear model and blow up the internet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I’ll take two, please.

Also a brown frn Cruwear Delica.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

HAP-40 wood scales please. All the other classics are already available this way.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

rybu0305 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:48 am
HAP-40 wood scales please. All the other classics are already available this way.
I think that's a Knife Center exclusive. As long as you convince them of the need for this, I'm sure Spyderco will make a run of this Endela.
behinDedge

Post by behinDedge »

Is there any chance to see cruwear dark gray frn version this year?
I missed delica in that config and endela would be an instant buy for me.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

behinDedge wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 am
Is there any chance to see cruwear dark gray frn version this year?
I missed delica in that config and endela would be an instant buy for me.
If they do any Seki FRN models in Cruwear they will sell out in minutes. Very popular. I’m guessing quantities of Cruwear stock would limit the models that could be produced.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah an endela cruwear would be sweeeet.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m still waiting for the K390.

I’d love to see some new colors, like hunter orange and OD green and flat dark earth.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:45 pm
I’m still waiting for the K390.

I’d love to see some new colors, like hunter orange and OD green and flat dark earth.
- Yes on the K 390!

- And yes on the new colors!
I was a bit disappointed that there are none for the Endela in the 2020 product guide... while alone the ffg VG 10 Endura for example comes in seven colors (zome version not even included!), the Endela is still available in just black... I hope that´s not a sign that it does not sell well enough to justify more colors.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Now I've had the Endela for a week and it's time for some first impressions!
I choose this knife because i wanted to try a fully spyderedged knife and I didn't want the large Endura, the Delica doesn't feel good in hand, and i didn't want to spend the money on a Shaman or Caribbean.

Interresting grind pattern on the serrations. The serrations are similar to my Byrd Hawkbill in that they are fairly shallow which i feel snags less. It makes a fully SE knife actually function well for general EDC and not only for specialized tasks. As well as having tremendous performace in the classic SE applications.

The knife came very sharp from factory. It easily sliced paper however i cut into it, push or pull-cutting very well. This along with my new Dragonfly Wharncliffe highlights the advantages of VG10, it regains a suberb level of sharpness very easily! After dulling it to the point of not cutting smoothly it only took a few passes on a strop to become sharp again. It wont last you a day if cutting is all you do but for a lot of other people, VG10 is great!

Now to something that isn't great: I understand what some people complain about in the Endura 4 handles... When i grip the knife my middle finger winds up on the first point of the handle. When my thumb rests naturally on the thumbramp, this is where my hand falls. I doesn't deter me from using the knife and i would definitely buy it again, but I see how what people complain about can happen.

This would sort out those remarks, but then you'd get sort of a Stretch 2.. Maybe not a bad thing? It would be a more neutral handle.

Fit and finish was as nice as Seki knives are in general!

I hope your happy about the review Wartstein ;)
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 am
I hope your happy about the review Wartstein ;)

Well, I am, thanks for taking the time!! :)

Especially I am glad when people (like you) can confirm my impression and experience, that the way the serrations are ground on the Endela SE is particullary well suited for general EDC tasks. As far as I am concerned, even better than PE in most cases (concerning pure cutting performance, out of the knives I own I´d rarely carry anything else but the Endela SE anymore. Only thing it lacks a bit for me is length in the actual cutting edge).

Now to your issue with the handle: I know you´re not the only one who feels like this and finds that the middle finger comes to rest at the "point" between the finger grooves and that this would be a bit uncomfortable.
Still, I personally never had that issue. For me (L to XL hands) honestly the Endela handle is one of the most ergonomic and comfortable I am aware of. Even if I deliberately put my middle finger exactly on that "point" between the finger grooves it does not bother me at all,even more so since Sal has "mellowed out" that point when designing the Endela compared to the Endura handle.

Though I have to say: When using the knife (or any Spyderco) I almost never put my thumb on the actual thumb ramp (like you do on your pic above), but rather on the side of the blade/on the opening hole. This also alters the way my middle finger rests on the handle and might make a difference concerning that "point" between the finger grooves. Maybe you´d like to try my way of a holding the knife (see pic below), just to see if this changes ergos and comfort for you?

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sonorum wrote:

I really like your photosop pic, That looks really comfortable, yet still has the swell for good retention.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am
Sonorum wrote:

I really like your photosop pic, That looks really comfortable, yet still has the swell for good retention.
If I ever order custom scales I would ask them to modify it this way.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 am
Sonorum wrote:
Well I use that grip sometimes, but I also use a lot of other grips. I will probably always choose grip after usage and not after how it is comfortable to grip. My favourite knife is still the GB2 which allows you to grip it any way you want.
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 am
Sonorum wrote:
Well I use that grip sometimes, but I also use a lot of other grips. I will probably always choose grip after usage and not after how it is comfortable to grip. My favourite knife is still the GB2 which allows you to grip it any way you want.
Well said, and I agree!

The Endura / Endela ergo thing is really interesting to me :

Sal who - going by his own statements - wears XL gloves changed the E3 handle into the E4 handle to make it even more comfortable. And while for many this is clearly the case (me (L to XL hands)included, I love the E4 ergos!) there is also the other camp of "hands" to whom the handle does not fit perfectly due to the shape of the finger grooves.. and funny thing is: It seems that in THIS "camp" mainly ARE exactly people with bigger hands... (like Sal, the designer (!) himself obviously has).
Goes to show how different personal preferences are, even amongst presumably rather similar handsizes!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am
Sonorum wrote:

I figure that´s exactly what Sal wanted to achieve when redesiging the Endura handle into the Endela handle, but for some he maybe did not go far enough?! (Though tbh, I personally am glad he did NOT "go to far" but still make the Endela handle a true "Endura family shaped handle")

See also HERE: viewtopic.php?t=83743#p1326225

See the "progression" from Endura / Endela / Sonorums proposal concerning "point" between the finger grooves below (1 Endura 2 Endela 3 fictive Endela proposal by Sonorum) - don´t you think Sal did mellow out that point enough already from Endura to Endela?