CPM SPY27 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gamecock

Re: CPM SPY27 steel

Post by Gamecock »

Hopefully they offer it in the regular Manix 2 and not just the LW, which is what seems to be the case in the first runs.
sal

Post by sal »

Creating a new steel is not an easy task and we've been working on this for more than a year. Like anything new in business, it is a gamble. We hope for the best. We've done quite a few new things in the knife industry. Some are better than others, but to not try is to stop.......at least for Spyderco.

CTS-BD1 and BD1N is a USA made variation of a Japanese steel called Gingami 1 made by Hitachi. A very useful and successful blade steel. It was created because of Spyderco working with Carpenter. SPY27 is a USA made variation of VG-10, another useful and successful blade steel made by Takefu that was created by Spyderco working with Crucilble.

If there is a problem with this, I guess I'm not seeing it. Splain it to me?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FYI,

We are fortunate to have Larrin involved in the knife industry. He is a trained metallurgist that has a father that made steel. His presence is a gift to the knife afi's as he has the experience, the knowledge and the passion that is difficult to find in this industry. Cliff Stamp is another one that was often not appreciated for his knowledge and opinion sharing. Another to watch is Shawn Houston.

Perhaps we should appreciate these minds while we have them, in my humble opinion.

There are many more that I could mention but I think you get what I'm saying. The internet has permitted this information in the blade world to progress exponentially.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am excitedly waiting on the M2 LW In SPY27. It’s no secret that I like this knife for my uses and this steel looks promising.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Sal, I think you should send Larrin some spy27 for testing asap. The problem with Larrins article is that even though it's a highly educated and logical guess, it's still a guess. But people will still take as fact without any real actual data and testing.
sok

Post by sok »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:52 pm
SPY27 is a USA made variation of VG-10, another useful and successful blade steel made by Takefu that was created by Spyderco working with Crucilble.

sal
I would love to have SPY27 in a Para 3, or even a PM2.....or even in a Military. I have thought many times about how much I would like VG-10 in these models.
Edit** I just remembered that the Para 3 LW in SPY27 was just revealed. Woo Hoo!
Last edited by sok on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cbrstar wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm
Sal, I think you should send Larrin some spy27 for testing asap.

Sal already said in this very thread he will.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85769&start=60#p1392596
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Creating a new steel is not an easy task and we've been working on this for more than a year. Like anything new in business, it is a gamble. We hope for the best. We've done quite a few new things in the knife industry. Some are better than others, but to not try is to stop.......at least for Spyderco.

CTS-BD1 and BD1N is a USA made variation of a Japanese steel called Gingami 1 made by Hitachi. A very useful and successful blade steel. It was created because of Spyderco working with Carpenter. SPY27 is a USA made variation of VG-10, another useful and successful blade steel made by Takefu that was created by Spyderco working with Crucilble.

sal

Hi Sal,

I am just interested in seeing what it will do. :D

It does look promising.

Hopefully it won't be too long until they fill the preorders.

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm
Enactive wrote:
Larrin wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Hi Larrin,

Bob will send a sample to you.

sal
Great!
Very cool, indeed! Thanks Sal and Larrin. :cool: :spyder:
And stuff like this is only one of the many reasons I support this company. Whenever I need something made by spyderco, they will gladly get my money first.
Quoted for truth. Spyderco: keeping it classy.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Even though the maxamet Para 3 and PM2 are “regular production” they are treated like sprints because they are so scarce.

When they come in stock, anywhere, there is generally a thread made here and they are generally gone within the day. Every time.

Just like sprints.
Para 3 Maxamet has been available lately. GP Knives has them in stock now.

Well that didn’t last long! Went to go buy one and in one day, gone!

Sort of proves my point about those models.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

An USA variation of VG10? Now THAT sounds great! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's pretty interesting! Will look forward to testing, vg10 hadn't historically been my favorite but I'm keeping an open mind.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 am
I agree. I am excited to try this steel out. But I am still going to wait for a different model.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 am
sal wrote:

sal

It should be better performing than VG-10 from looking at the alloy content. :)
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm
ctrikard wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:42 am
I wonder if this will sort of feel like a stainless cruwear. Sharpens up to a nice razor edge easily. Maintains that high level of sharpness a little better than high vanadium steels like s110v and even s30v and it could address the constant complaints of burnt chippy edges from the factory with the added cobalt. Atleast to some extent. Guess all that depends on what hrc they choose.

But most likely it was chosen because itll be easy to grind and theres less of a chance of spoiling the heat treatment during machining.
It would only help with burnt edges if they chose to use the high tempering range, which would also reduce corrosion resistance. Personally I would prefer that they not use the high tempering range.
I thought that was only on tool steels and the like. Although I am definitely no expert like you. Thanks

Im curious to your thoughts on the great emphasis on the cobalt in the steel. Or is that just a marketing thing?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Post #35

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new ... 614/page-2

ctrikard wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:30 am
Larrin wrote:
ctrikard wrote:
I wonder if this will sort of feel like a stainless cruwear. Sharpens up to a nice razor edge easily. Maintains that high level of sharpness a little better than high vanadium steels like s110v and even s30v and it could address the constant complaints of burnt chippy edges from the factory with the added cobalt. Atleast to some extent. Guess all that depends on what hrc they choose.

But most likely it was chosen because itll be easy to grind and theres less of a chance of spoiling the heat treatment during machining.
It would only help with burnt edges if they chose to use the high tempering range, which would also reduce corrosion resistance. Personally I would prefer that they not use the high tempering range.
I thought that was only on tool steels and the like. Although I am definitely no expert like you. Thanks

Im curious to your thoughts on the great emphasis on the cobalt in the steel. Or is that just a marketing thing?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Larrin wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Larrin,

sal
Great!
Maybe off topic but I hope Shawn gets some to test too!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 am

Post #35

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new ... 614/page-2

ctrikard wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:30 am
Larrin wrote:
ctrikard wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:06 pm
Enactive wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Larrin wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Larrin,

sal
Great!
Maybe off topic but I hope Shawn gets some to test too!
I agree! Maybe Sal can ask Bob to send some to Shawn too. :cool: :spyder:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm surprised there isn't a CPM version of the foundry to celebrate this new steel

High fine edge sharpness retention (a la super blue?) has me interested

I just finished reading Shaun's post about the steel - yeah, spy 27 isn't super interesting in a pure wear resistance standpoint - but how many tasks in the real world involve blunting via wear vs blunting from other methods? (Chipping/rolling from lateral forces, etc?) I don't sit there and cut cardboard all day - most of my uses involve cutting plastics/rope/banding off of construction materials - and all the wear resistance in the world doesn't matter when you hand someone a knife and they go ham on it on a construction site