Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Evil D »

I remember at least one person who had a Salt reground thin and used it to shave with. This idea has been brought up enough times I'm surprised Spyderco hasn't made one yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is a recurring request for sure. I haven’t shaved in years. I have been keeping the beard trimmed short lately because of all the grays. :( That said, I would love to see what Spyderco comes up with and as a shameless fanboy I would probably buy one anyway. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’ve always had the understanding that you want a (comparatively) soft steel for a straight razor, something that is then regularly touched up on a leather strap to keep it razor sharp. Is that incorrect? Would a modern “super steel” be fitting in that application?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’ll ask the same thing I asked in the last thread on this: what would Spyderco bring to the table? I don’t need a different logo on my straight razor and the one I have works great. There’s some opportunity for maybe a game-changing ergonomic development... perhaps, I guess. There isn’t, in my opinion, a way to improve on the hollow grind that western razors have been using forever.

Please don’t say “whiz-bang steel XXXX”. Not all steels are suitable for razors. Your high carbide steel of the month makes a lousy razor edge, it doesn’t matter how long it holds it. And corrosion resistance isn’t as important as you would think — plain high carbon steel is quite common in razors and works very well.

Straight razors at least command high enough prices for Spyderco to play. You can get very decent ones for $30, but people also spend $300 on them. Much like knives.
Ez556 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 am
I’ve always had the understanding that you want a (comparatively) soft steel for a straight razor, something that is then regularly touched up on a leather strap to keep it razor sharp. Is that incorrect? Would a modern “super steel” be fitting in that application?
Sort of. They’re meant to be sharpened by the user frequently, so ease of sharpening is important. I wouldn’t say “soft”, but you don’t want max hardness. I haven’t really dug into the stropping debate much but I suspect the strop has more effect of cleaning the patina off the edge than it does actually sharpening.

I made a ~63 RC razor one time and it was a pain to sharpen.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’m assuming very fine grain would be important as well for a fine edge.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Monty Python's Homicidal barbershop would be a fitting anchor point for one line of related humor here.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Mike...
I am guesssing a carbon steel to be used by you, here?

If not, AEB-L would be my choice.

Either way, i am looking forward to this project.

OT...I though that Spyderco did their own heat treatment, or have I misunderstood the conversation here earlier?
If this is privilaged info, apologies in advance?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I'd me more apt to go from Cartridge to Double Edge Razor than Cartridge to Straight Razor, so I'm out, but still think it's a cool idea and worth Spyderco developing.

For those of you who are all for it and shave via Straight Razor, I hope this works out for you and it's everything you expect :) :spyder:
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

I actually used the super blue man bug as a razer for a few months and it worked just fine. I would be interested in an actual straight razer if the shape were a little less traditional. Honestly, if I could clamp the straight razer with my wicked edge, I'd be in. I'm thinking something made of hap-40, super blue, blue, white, or some other nice high carbon steel. It might even be fun to see how a stainless steel like m390 holds to a mega sharp edge while shaving. I would also like it if the knife actually locked as well. Like something that I could edc if I wanted too. Just my thoughts, but I would totally be in for one depending on the design and steel used
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Every once in a while I use one of my knives to shave with, just for the **** of it. At least I know it's doable if needed.

I'll be in for one.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SalomonA wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm
Honestly, if I could clamp the straight razer with my wicked edge, I'd be in.
Straight razors have sharpening guides built in. There’s no need for anything but a flat stone to hone them.
sal

Post by sal »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 am

sal

New exotic powdered steels have changed the paradigm in straight razors in the past 20 years. So the discussion has changed as to what is better?

Mike wants to experiment with several of the options in modern straight razor discussion.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Every time this subject of "straight razors" comes up I always give a Thumbs UP. I would just love to see a super high quality Straight Razor made by the Great Spyder Factory :cool:

Here in the Kansas City, MO area where I live we have a store in the prestigious Country Club Plaza shopping district that sells high quality shaving equipment. The store is called "The Art Of Shaving" and they sell a wide array of Straight Razors and other top quality shaving gear and supplies. I've talked to that manager of that store on a couple of occasions and he tells me that business is good at this time. He said because of the exorbitant, ridiculous prices of disposable shaving equipment he claims that more and more guys are going with Straight Razors.

If Spyderco could make a Straight Razor and have it sold in exclusive shops like that one I think they would sell many of them.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 pm
I'd imagine something like AEB-L would be good for such a project
Alloys like AEB-L are used for disposable razor blades, so I agree with you. Edge stability at low angles is more important than abrasion resistance for razors. I wonder if LC-200N or H-1 would work?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:23 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 pm
I'd imagine something like AEB-L would be good for such a project
Alloys like AEB-L are used for disposable razor blades, so I agree with you. Edge stability at low angles is more important than abrasion resistance for razors. I wonder if LC-200N or H-1 would work?
I was thinking along the lines of LC200N myself as being a good consideration for blade material. I would shy away from H-1 because of its less that desirable performance in plain edged units.

But LC200N or maybe some other newer nitrogen based steel might just be the ticket. You would have the corrosion factor whipped and I bet it would respond good to stropping with compounds. I would also like to know what blade steel Bohler might have that would make a great straight razor? Being so many top notch straight razors have come from Germany over the years I would be willing to bet that they would have a great blade steel for a Straight Razor.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

New exotic powdered steels have changed the paradigm in straight razors in the past 20 years. So the discussion has changed as to what is better?

Mike wants to experiment with several of the options in modern straight razor discussion.

sal

This isn't a topic I've read about as I really have little interest in razors but I think if anybody can pull it off it would be Spyderco.

I do find it interesting to think about having salt pots around to use for heat treating. That is a bigger surprise to me than the thought of Spyderco actually bringing out a line of razors. Spyderco can make that work. High quality and sharp edges is nothing new there in Golden.

Joe
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Most of my steel user experience comes from current Spyderco tool steels. When I sharpen, I take them to arm shaving sharp, but I’ve never tried to shave my face. The only non-tool steels I’ve used with the most impressive sharpening response have been AEB-L and BD1 (no n). The BD1 in the Squarehead is easy to get really wickedly sharp. As in shaving fingerprints off by accident sharp... AEB-L has a wonderful sharpening response, so when I’m annoyed it’s lost it’s sharpness so quickly, at least it is pleasant and rewarding to put the edge back on.

So I don’t have much useful input on steels. I am curious about intended handle materials? Most straight razors I’ve seen, the “handle” seems to be more of a hinged sheath, and as such is boring in construction and appearance, and seems flimsy at best.

An EDC razor would seem to need to be treated like a friction folder and carried in a pocket slip. Then can you imagine an LEO reaction to “concealed carry of a razor”?

I’d be interested in trying shaving with a straight razor. I’d also be interested in using one as a patch knife for shooting my muzzleloader. Would trim off the pillow ticking patch handily.

Post by 013 »

Where I live, it is illegal to EDC a straight razor. It really makes no sense because we can EDC any other single edge regardless of size. I suppose the law was written so that people aren't walking around with "throat cutters".☺
I suppose the only way to make it less like a traditional straight razor would be to make it with a locking handle. I'm picturing something similar to the Spyderco Roc.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

013 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:50 am
Where I live, it is illegal to EDC a straight razor. It really makes no sense because we can EDC any other single edge regardless of size. I suppose the law was written so that people aren't walking around with "throat cutters".☺
I suppose the only way to make it less like a traditional straight razor would be to make it with a locking handle. I'm picturing something similar to the Spyderco Roc.
Strangely enough, the Roc is what hooked me back over to Spyderco. I was looking for info on it and found the Para 3 instead. And that was that!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Yes please! Been shaving with a straight razor for over half a decade now and would never go back!

I do believe it is fairly easy to eff up, tho.
I remember Strider releases something they called a steaight razor, but it ended up being a real crappy razor and a horrible cutting implement / knife.
I’m sure Spyderco will do a better job, and really hope so, too!