Sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Sprints

Post by yablanowitz »

I think there are a lot of people here who don't know the difference between a Sprint Run and an Exclusive. Many of the "it sold out before I could order one" whines are coming from Exclusives, and Spyderco has no control over those numbers other than saying "No, we won't do that for you" and losing many thousands of dollars on that and any future sales to that customer. And Exclusives are a great thing for Spyderco, because those knives are already sold. If they sit in a warehouse and gather dust, it isn't Spyderco's problem.

Sprint Runs are entirely at Spyderco's risk. If it doesn't sell, they have capital tied up in inventory that they can't use for new production, or making payroll for that matter. Think that isn't a problem? How many years did it take for the last G-10 Worker Sprint to sell out everywhere? If all of those had had to go through the SFO, they'd have sold them at a loss just to get rid of them. Not a good business plan
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jdw wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:45 am
I personally feel that there is far too much monitoring, marketing and both corporate and government meddling in my life already. I would rather miss out on a few knives than add one more layer of someone tracking my purchases.

The internet operates because Federal Government allows it to.

It's all under Government regulation, always has been from the beginning.

The Federal Government started the Internet.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:48 am
I think there are a lot of people here who don't know the difference between a Sprint Run and an Exclusive. Many of the "it sold out before I could order one" whines are coming from Exclusives, and Spyderco has no control over those numbers other than saying "No, we won't do that for you" and losing many thousands of dollars on that and any future sales to that customer. And Exclusives are a great thing for Spyderco, because those knives are already sold. If they sit in a warehouse and gather dust, it isn't Spyderco's problem.

Sprint Runs are entirely at Spyderco's risk. If it doesn't sell, they have capital tied up in inventory that they can't use for new production, or making payroll for that matter. Think that isn't a problem? How many years did it take for the last G-10 Worker Sprint to sell out everywhere? If all of those had had to go through the SFO, they'd have sold them at a loss just to get rid of them. Not a good business plan

Yes, there is a large difference, I think most people already knew that.

Nothing to stop the Store or Distributor giving 30 knives or more to someone to put in EBAY or whatever before they are on the stores website and selling them for crazy prices. That is unethical, but it is legal....

Could also explain why they seem to sell out as fast as they do?

Not saying that it does happen, but I can see how it could happen, and very easy...
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Post by Monty »

It's easy for someone to look at a sprint's popularity in hindsight and say "you should have made more." Not so easy when you're guessing what you can sell and fronting the money.

I also find it a bit silly for Nick S. To be criticizing sprints yet have a drawer full of sprints.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Monty wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am
It's easy for someone to look at a sprint's popularity in hindsight and say "you should have made more." Not so easy when you're guessing what you can sell and fronting the money.

I also find it a bit silly for Nick S. To be criticizing sprints yet have a drawer full of sprints.

Hindsight is always 20/20. ;)

I think Sprint runs are a great idea personally.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:27 am
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:46 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
That's why the serial number idea is best. :)
Only in the sense that at least some of the folks who object to extraneous writing on their knives would stop buying Sprints.
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
You do know that any dishonest activity over the internet is illegal right?

It's all fraud....

Then once they mail it that's mail fraud etc....

Yes, you can actually put these people in jail and they can do real time...

The min they buy it under false pretenses it becomes illegal merchandise and anything that happens after that is also illegal. So anyone involved can all be charged... They could actually tack on weapons charges too if they got really picky and really wanted to nail them to the wall..

Then there is also income tax evasion on both the State and Federal level while they are adding the charges up.

That's the reason why I have been screaming about it....

Having a hard time figuring how you make that jump in logic. I'm not understanding where"fraud" of any kind is involved. Seems to me that you're confusing behaviors that might be morally or unethically questionable with behaviors that are criminal.

Once a person, or a business, buys something, they own it and it's theirs to do with pretty much as they please. Spyderco can set, and enforce, MAP pricing for its dealers, but cannot legally prevent a dealer from selling at MSRP or higher, selling on eBay at a premium under a different name, or selling all their stock of an item to one person who offers to pay a premium for them and then sells them on eBay and/or the forums at an even higher premium.

You also seem to be assuming that those who sell knives on eBay do not report the profits from those sales as income. I have no way of knowing if the do, but suspect that you have no way of knowing they don't.

Exactly. This is absolutely not "fraud" or even illegal in any way. A crappy thing to do? Sure. Immoral? Sure. Unethical? Absolutely.

Illegal? Not hardly. That is quite the logical leap it takes to get to that conclusion.

Actually it is illegal. ;)

Jim I respect you and your opinion with most things but in this case, you're simply wrong. And your argument of "actually yeah it is" isn't really an argument.

You are conflating breaking a "rule" with breaking a law. If someone uses deceptive practices to purchase more of a knife than allowed, they are still only breaking a rule. Despite whatever they choose to do with the knives after the fact. There is no law against buying more of a product than a PRIVATE dealer allows, despite how morally bankrupt it is.

The individual is still trading goods for money. The item is still being paid for. There is no one being damaged. No law being broken.

There is simply a RULE set by a PRIVATE company being broken. There is absolutely no way, shape, or form that this could be interpreted into someone being criminal. Even if they choose to sell the knives after, it STILL isn't criminal.

Look no further than the issue with John Cena selling his Ford GT after purchasing it. All purchasers literally signed a contract stating "I will not sell this vehicle in the first 2 years." That rule was set forth by a PRIVATE company (just like a knife dealer) but actually had a contract behind it. Cena broke the contract and sold the car for a profit. Ford literally had an "anti flip" clause in the contract. John broke the contract, yet STILL didn't do anything criminal.

There is no contract between knife buyer and private dealer, so your case would be even weaker than Ford's. At best it could be a civil matter if someone were foolish enough to pursue it. Not in any sense of the word would it be a criminal matter.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No more sprints would solve all the problems! :eek:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:25 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:27 am
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 am
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:46 am

Only in the sense that at least some of the folks who object to extraneous writing on their knives would stop buying Sprints.

Having a hard time figuring how you make that jump in logic. I'm not understanding where"fraud" of any kind is involved. Seems to me that you're confusing behaviors that might be morally or unethically questionable with behaviors that are criminal.

Once a person, or a business, buys something, they own it and it's theirs to do with pretty much as they please. Spyderco can set, and enforce, MAP pricing for its dealers, but cannot legally prevent a dealer from selling at MSRP or higher, selling on eBay at a premium under a different name, or selling all their stock of an item to one person who offers to pay a premium for them and then sells them on eBay and/or the forums at an even higher premium.

You also seem to be assuming that those who sell knives on eBay do not report the profits from those sales as income. I have no way of knowing if the do, but suspect that you have no way of knowing they don't.

Exactly. This is absolutely not "fraud" or even illegal in any way. A crappy thing to do? Sure. Immoral? Sure. Unethical? Absolutely.

Illegal? Not hardly. That is quite the logical leap it takes to get to that conclusion.

Actually it is illegal. ;)

Jim I respect you and your opinion with most things but in this case, you're simply wrong. And your argument of "actually yeah it is" isn't really an argument.

You are conflating breaking a "rule" with breaking a law. If someone uses deceptive practices to purchase more of a knife than allowed, they are still only breaking a rule. Despite whatever they choose to do with the knives after the fact. There is no law against buying more of a product than a PRIVATE dealer allows, despite how morally bankrupt it is.

The individual is still trading goods for money. The item is still being paid for. There is no one being damaged. No law being broken.

There is simply a RULE set by a PRIVATE company being broken. There is absolutely no way, shape, or form that this could be interpreted into someone being criminal. Even if they choose to sell the knives after, it STILL isn't criminal.

Look no further than the issue with John Cena selling his Ford GT after purchasing it. All purchasers literally signed a contract stating "I will not sell this vehicle in the first 2 years." That rule was set forth by a PRIVATE company (just like a knife dealer) but actually had a contract behind it. Cena broke the contract and sold the car for a profit. Ford literally had an "anti flip" clause in the contract. John broke the contract, yet STILL didn't do anything criminal.

There is no contract between knife buyer and private dealer, so your case would be even weaker than Ford's. At best it could be a civil matter if someone were foolish enough to pursue it. Not in any sense of the word would it be a criminal matter.

You are missing the whole point.... Not surprising however because you have to think about how they did it in the 1st place.

Acquiring merchandise in a fraudulent manner in the 1st place is what makes it illegal.

If they do it over the internet in some way gaming the system that makes it illegal because they used the internet to do it, cyber crime... Federal Crime....

Now since that merchandise was acquired in a fraudulent manner it becomes illegal merchandise automatically.

Some idiot on a computer that creates whatever to get around the order system is actually hacking if you get technical.

So yes it is in fact illegal and a Federal crime.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:34 am
You are missing the whole point....

Acquiring merchandise in a fraudulent manner in the 1st place is what makes it illegal.

If they do it over the internet in some way gaming the system that makes it illegal because they used the internet to do it, cyber crime... Federal Crime....

Now since that merchandise was acquired in a fraudulent manner it becomes illegal merchandise automatically.

Well Jim, I'm pretty sure it's you who is missing the point. For fraud to exist, you would have to:

• obtain something without paying for it by use of false ID (credit card fraud, check fraud, etc)
  • obtain something at a discounted price by claiming to be something you were not (senior citizen LEO, veteran, etc)
  • obtain something you were not legally entitled to purchase using false ID (cigarettes, liquor, etc)
Simply visiting two different locations of a given business to obtain two of something marked "one to a customer" is not fraud.

Ankerson wrote:
Some idiot on a computer that creates whatever to get around the order system is actually hacking if you get technical.

Do you have any proof anyone is actually "hacking" merchants ordering systems to buy Spyderco knives?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
blues

Post by blues »

That it has come to this level of angst and gnashing of teeth is sad in and of itself.

I remember when buying custom and production knives was fun.
- Retired from the chase -
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:05 am
Ankerson wrote:
You are missing the whole point....

Well Jim, I'm pretty sure it's you who is missing the point. For fraud to exist, you would have to:

• obtain something without paying for it by use of false ID (credit card fraud, check fraud, etc)
  • obtain something at a discounted price by claiming to be something you were not (senior citizen LEO, veteran, etc)
  • obtain something you were not legally entitled to purchase using false ID (cigarettes, liquor, etc)
Simply visiting two different locations of a given business to obtain two of something marked "one to a customer" is not fraud.

It's how they got it that makes it illegal. ;)

They illegally acquired the products in the 1st place, if they paid for them or not.

If they game the order system over the internet, that is a cyber crime from the start.

So anything that happens with those products after is also illegal.

I didn't miss a thing.

Fraud is just one of a long string of charges that could be brought against them.

And they are all Federal charges.

The PROOF would come from an investigation after it was reported to the FBI.

They can track all of it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I don't think everyone has the same definition of "illegally acquired" in this thread. Ankerson, how would you define it?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 am
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a Winner!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am
I don't think everyone has the same definition of "illegally acquired" in this thread. Ankerson, how would you define it?

If someone acquires something doing something illegal, breaking the law it is illegally acquired.

Just because someone pays for something doesn't make it legal if they broke the law doing it.

It was illegally acquired....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:29 am
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a Winner!

THIS sounds like a winner to me too... ?!

(Quoting David / "Evil D"):

"I think a possible solution here is to make a system like the collector's club for forum members where pre-orders are literally pre-sales where sprints are paid for up front and then production is based on the total number of pre-sales plus maybe a bit more to cover any possible warranty/replacement issues. Make the pre-sale open for X amount of time so everyone who wants one can get in on it."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, this all sounds like a tremendous waste of law enforcement's time over a few people missing out on a pocket knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jdw wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am
Regardless of whether it's legal or not, this all sounds like a tremendous waste of law enforcement's time over a few people missing out on a pocket knife.

Cyber Crime is a huge problem...

It goes way beyond just a few people not getting a knife.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 am
Yes, there is a large difference, I think most people already knew that.
You couldn't prove to me by anything I've read here in the last few years. They always seem to get lumped together, and called Sprints whether they are or not. Most of the gripes don't even apply to Sprints, just Exclusives.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Does Spyderco exist for users or collectors?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

It seems to me that the legality of sprints is a distraction from the original question. Let's avoid an argument please.

thanx,

sal