Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by ABX2011 »

It's the pattern of the cf laminate that I don't like. Would prefer what's used on the Amalgam. Anyway, overall looks great and I'll likely get one.
sal

Post by sal »

FYI,

Clovisc is the person that started the entire Chokwe and Watu project when he was in Zambia with the Peace Corp.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:04 pm
FYI,

Clovisc is the person that started the entire Chokwe and Watu project when he was in Zambia with the Peace Corp.

sal
I remember doing a deep dive into those old threads back when I was digging into the Ethnic Series. It's really a design that is surprisingly comfortable - but as we know, it's been refined over many, many generations.

Thank you for bringing it back!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

A hard pass for me.
Especially with a compression lock. Looks like it has the same issue the Rhino model has with the tab when the compression lock access cutout is.

Would have been a nice option if it were a framelock or even linerlock.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm
I’m in. It’ll match nicely with its big brother. :D
Funny, the knife I thought it would really go along nicely with is your Rhino Michael ;) :D
Hey thanks, man! You might just be right. :D :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

clovisc wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 am
Goes without saying that I am extremely excited about this one! Thanks, Spyderco, for continuing to refine and explore the possibilities for this traditional design, and for the effort involved in translating it into the realm of high-tech materials. It is also great to see continued, generous partnership with Keep a Child Alive.
Good on you for bringing this knife out to start with. I remembered someone here on the forum was responsible, took Sal to jog my memory.

I'm not a fan of Carbon Fiber, but I like the scales on my Rhino. Probably because of the grippy, yet unabrasive texture.

No idea what people are complaining about on the Compression-lock. I've not ran into any problems with it on my Rhino or Lil'Temp 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 pm
clovisc wrote:
Goes without saying that I am extremely excited about this one! Thanks, Spyderco, for continuing to refine and explore the possibilities for this traditional design, and for the effort involved in translating it into the realm of high-tech materials. It is also great to see continued, generous partnership with Keep a Child Alive.
Good on you for bringing this knife out to start with. I remembered someone here on the forum was responsible, took Sal to jog my memory.

I'm not a fan of Carbon Fiber, but I like the scales on my Rhino. Probably because of the grippy, yet unabrasive texture.

No idea what people are complaining about on the Compression-lock
. I've not ran into any problems with it on my Rhino or Lil'Temp 3.
I think it is the little bit of the tang/Ricasso that hits the finger when one closes the knife and sticks out where the lock tab is when the knife IS closed (a bit like on the Shaman).

Don´t think that I personally would have an issue with that.
Still, I´d prefer a good liner lock. Just more convinient and natural to use for me in "real life" . The Watu comp lock looks like being one of those (like also on the Kapara for example) that are fun to use in "ideal" conditions, but really not in cold, wet, "numb fingers" - scenarios

EDIT: Still I love this design! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 am
Halfneck wrote:
clovisc wrote:
Double post, sorry
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Halfneck wrote:
No idea what people are complaining about on the Compression-lock
I had that issue at the Lil Native.
If that front choil were 2mm bigger it could worked as flipper tab.
If you use a bit of force you could get the finger in an open it by pressing straight on that portion of the blade.

But, the real issue is at closing.

When I close with the CL, I just slide away the CL tab. My finger then stays on that CL tab.
At the Lil Native that front choil bounced back from my finger.
If I close the knife, the finger touches that tab.

On the Para 3 the "blade" never touches the finger even when rested at the CL.
There is more space between CL and blade.

I grinded that tab down on my Lil Native and it get better.
But I still have to use another closing technique as on my Para 3.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I definitely don't mind when the tab/bump/nub hits my finger on closing. It's what it's designed to do - protect my finger from the edge.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My only complaint is the faux CF. If you want to lower the price, use G10. Otherwise, use solid CF. Feels cheap using a half measure.(not physically)

It's like a V6 Mustang, with a Cobra badge. Each of them individually is fine, but put together they look incredibly cheap.

This is by no means a deal breaker, I can always make some new scales.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 pm
Really nice design. That pattern of laminate CF is not appealing. Many things I like - thin 2.5mm blade stock, light weight, wire clip, simple handle shape, pointy tip.
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Looks cool, and I generally love to see more thinner-blade-stock knives!
If I’m not mistaken this is the first compression lock on a sub 3mm blade stock - a technical milestone for that mechanism.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Really nice design. That pattern of laminate CF is not appealing. Many things I like - thin 2.5mm blade stock, light weight, wire clip, simple handle shape, pointy tip.
Wartstein wrote:
If I’m not mistaken this is the first compression lock on a sub 3mm blade stock - a technical milestone for that mechanism.
The Ikuchi has a 2.5mm blade stock as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:48 am
Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The Ikuchi has a 2.5mm blade stock as well.
Corrected, thank you.

Then I’ll say the Watu is the first sub 3mm stock compression lock for which I jones.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I may have to get one. That angular style really pops. If I were guessing its design heritage, I’d have guessed Bauhaus rather than tribal Africa.

And 20CV to sweeten the deal.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

The original chokwe is a real slicer... amazingly ergonomic for the boxy coffin-shaped handle, and very thin blade with pointy tip (not a pry bar). The only issues I had with the original was that it was a bit too big for EDC (which the Watu solves), and the detent on the lock-bar wasn't very strong so there were a couple of times that long slicey blade opened in my pocket. This would be easily fixed by converting to tip-down carry, but I think the compression lock on the Watu will also be a great addition and hopefully solve this issue from the original chokwe (Taiwan seems to be known for their weak RIL lock detents).
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

captnvegtble wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 am
The original chokwe is a real slicer... amazingly ergonomic for the boxy coffin-shaped handle, and very thin blade with pointy tip (not a pry bar). The only issues I had with the original was that it was a bit too big for EDC (which the Watu solves), and the detent on the lock-bar wasn't very strong so there were a couple of times that long slicey blade opened in my pocket. This would be easily fixed by converting to tip-down carry, but I think the compression lock on the Watu will also be a great addition and hopefully solve this issue from the original chokwe (Taiwan seems to be known for their weak RIL lock detents).
I would hope that with the popularity of the Watu it would entice Spyderco to bring back the Chokwe in the same comp lock configuration. Even if it is just a sprint or flash batch, I think it would be awesome to have both.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

captnvegtble wrote:
Dazen wrote:
captnvegtble wrote:
I would hope that with the popularity of the Watu it would entice Spyderco to bring back the Chokwe in the same comp lock configuration. Even if it is just a sprint or flash batch, I think it would be awesome to have both.
Now that I look closer into Watu and Chokwe, I´d also wish they bring back the latter! :)

But: Nothing against the comp.lock (it´s a good one, not arguing that!), but really guys, there are so many comp. lock knives out there to choose from already.
The comp. lock is an alternative but not necessarely an improvement over a good linerlock or in this case integral lock. Both have their pros and cons (and just for me the linerlock "wins" by s slight margin).

So: I really hope at least the liner-/frame lock mid- and higher end Spydies that are already established are there to stay (I am a bit concerned from what I hear about the Millie 2 tbh).

Improving the detent if necessary: Yes, absolutely!
Get rid of liner-/framelock in favor of comp.lock: Please not.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 am
captnvegtble wrote:
Dazen wrote:
captnvegtble wrote:
Now that I look closer into Watu and Chokwe, I´d also wish they bring back the latter! :)

But: Nothing against the comp.lock (it´s a good one, not arguing that!), but really guys, there are so many comp. lock knives out there to choose from already.
The comp. lock is an alternative but not necessarely an improvement over a good linerlock or in this case integral lock. Both have their pros and cons (and just for me the linerlock "wins" by s slight margin).

So: I really hope at least the liner-/frame lock mid- and higher end Spydies that are already established are there to stay (I am a bit concerned from what I hear about the Millie 2 tbh).

Improving the detent if necessary: Yes, absolutely!
Get rid of liner-/framelock in favor of comp.lock: Please not.
I wouldn’t object to bringing it back the exact same way it was except for a CF front scale, 20CV and the pivot collar. I’m sure any detent issues will be resolved anyway.
Dane