Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by sal »

We've had a few offers in the past, but we weren't in a position to do it. I guess we're in a better position now, so we'll see where it goes.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I always enjoy seeing new designs, so count me in.

On a slightly different note, I think it would be cool to see a Spyderco straight razor design that was actually built for EDC vs. shaving. Keep the profile nearly the same, but add a lock, Round Hole, and a thicker grind. It would be unique because I don’t believe it’s ever been done before.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I'm in for one.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Straight razors are not a saturated market anymore, but the segment Spyderco is best at (IMO: high enough prices to pay for world-class manufacturing partners and excellent materials, but not a lot of money sunk into the collector-class details that ramp up manufacturing complexity) is already occupied by three old-world mainstays and a smaller innovator offering better value.

Spyderco's design prowess doesn't get them much of an advantage in this market. If they have a lead on a good shop overseas that can crank out a few hundred blades for a minimal sum and they also have a honemeister in their back pocket who can deliver truly world-class edge finishes without pricing themselves out of the market, OK, go for it, but if those opportunities were easy to create surely someone else would have done it. (There are a few small-time players soaking up the enthusiast dollars by restoring old stock, and IMO that's the best way to spend your money on a razor.)

If the proposition is more skin to the Murray Carter kitchen line, where Spyderco is bringing together talented designer and production facility with enough capital to make something really special happen, well, that would be cool but I can't afford to buy a Ralf Aust, let alone a custom collaboration.

Remember too that quality control in honing is the #1 complaint about razors. If the entire sharpening team at one of the factories is already versed in polished edges and testing for smoothness, fine, but I doubt that to be the case. Sal isn't going to hone every razor for us, is he?
Last edited by JacksonKnives on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jackson,

I must admit that I am personally involved in the project. Mike is an old personal friend and we've been chatting about this for years. We're talking about things like Banite razors, CPM razors and homemeisters involved in the project.

On fact, Mike and Ed are working on a salt pot heat treating apparatus so we can do out own heat treat. My plan is to make them in Golden.

sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'm very interested in this level of engineering and design, since most straights I try aren't sharp enough and don't last long enough on my hair. (Feather disposable blades are good, but only last a few shaves.)

If you can ship me the razor with a <0.1 micron edge (whittling hair easily) and it'll stay that way for longer than old-world stainless, I'm in.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

justjohn wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm
I'm currently sporting a beard, but what the hey; I'd buy one and maybe even use it to shave.... :D
I have whiskers now and shave all around with a straight razor. There is nothing like a single edge for drawing a clean shave line even in long hair. No multi-blade plastic thing can do that without completely clogging up.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Mike Blue wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 am
justjohn wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm
I'm currently sporting a beard, but what the hey; I'd buy one and maybe even use it to shave.... :D
I have whiskers now and shave all around with a straight razor. There is nothing like a single edge for drawing a clean shave line even in long hair. No multi-blade plastic thing can do that without completely clogging up.
The trouble with that method is, it's so much fun that the beard gets smaller every shave. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never had a straight razor, but I´d get one if Spyderco offered it!

I am sure it could handle my habit of shaving:
I let my beard grow, except in the throat area where I shave daily.
As soon as the beard get´s TOO long (so every one or two month) I completely remove it and start again from cleanly shaved...

That means rather rare, but HARD work for a razor... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

rangefinder wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm
I've had a beard for decades, so it's not something I'd be interested in. But if Spyderco ever makes a cigar cutter, I'd buy that.
Another vote for a cigar cutter - incase 'people' are watching
i also use a straight razor and double edged safety razors - even tho i now sport a full beard i use them for trimming and shaping so would deffo be interested in a spydy straight
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I used to shave with a straight razor & I'd been meaning to go back to using one for a while. Would I buy a Spyderco straight razor? I guess it largely (although not solely) depends on it being priced competitively with those offered by the established & proven makers of premium straight razors.

Here's a crazy idea, though: how about a straight razor made from H-1? It's easy enough to get H-1 shaving sharp in my experience, it responds very well to stropping, and being 100% rustproof would absolutely set it apart from the other players in the straight razor market.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Heh, this topic comes up about once or twice a year. Maybe this will finally be the thread that does it.

I'd be a buyer, even though I would probably destroy my face. Does anyone remember the old short cartoon where the wolf is shaving in a car on a bumpy road? That would be my face! :p

What steel are we thinking? AEB-L? SB? Something crazy?
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm in, 100% -- I used a straight razor in my 20's and I really do miss it from time to time, and heck, all that money I spend on those 19 blade cartridges every month could be used to buy more knives!!
Ric

Post by Ric »

A straight razor must be sharp out of the box - I have no doubt Spyderco cant do that.
Second, I prefer a carbon steel (e.g. Maxamet) which gets really sharp.
Carbon, rusting steels are sharper and easier to sharpen.
I sharpened my straight razors and also get them professionally sharpened and still do not get a smooth shave.
(I prefer double-edged razors.)

Please not H1.
This is the perfect steel for salt water activities but not for a straight razor.
If you shave with salt water you will probably use a shark tooth or turtles armor as a razor :)
H1 seems too soft, IMHO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:56 am
A straight razor must be sharp out of the box - I have no doubt Spyderco cant do that.
Second, I prefer a carbon steel (e.g. Maxamet) which gets really sharp.
Carbon, rusting steels are sharper and easier to sharpen.
I sharpened my straight razors and also get them professionally sharpened and still do not get a smooth shave.
(I prefer double-edged razors.)

Please not H1.
This is the perfect steel for salt water activities but not for a straight razor.
If you shave with salt water you will probably use a shark tooth or turtles armor as a razor :)
H1 seems too soft, IMHO.
Last time I shaved with a shark's tooth, it didn't end well...

Perhaps I should have removed it first...

:D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Ric

Post by Ric »

:D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

In-house heat treat alone has me intrigued!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

rangefinder wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm
I've had a beard for decades
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

Sign me up. I would love a straight razor from Spyderco. I would also get a few for my friends who are barbers. Great idea if the price is right.