Fellow reptile lovers??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Fellow reptile lovers??

Post by JuPaul »

I haven't spent much time in the off-topic section yet, so I hope this is an ok subject for an off-topic post...nothing to do with knives...

So in addition to being a spydie lover, I'm also a huge animal lover, everything from horses to geckos. But in particular, I can't get enough of amazing ball pythons. My husband and I have 21 ball pythons now, and we breed and sell locally (we're small time). I thought there might be some crossover here...any fellow reptile/ball python fans? If so, post up your lovelies! Here's a few favorites from our collection:

Piebald male (aka Piper)
Pastel clown male (aka Monty)
Black Pastel Mojave Ghost male (aka Johnny Utah)
Banana het pied female (aka Jamaica)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Re: Fellow reptile lovers??

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "JuPaul" I first want to thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of those pet snakes with us. I've personally never owned a snake as a pet but I've had two of my close friends over the years who have had constrictor type snakes for pet. One friend of mine had a Burmese Python for many years and another old high school buddy I was very close friends with brought back a "Rainbow Boa Constrictor" from Brazil and kept it for a pet for a long time.

There is a "Youtube" exhibitor who goes by the name "Viperkeeper" who has some really intriguing videos on some extremely venomous snakes he's got for studying and for pets as well as venom extraction (milking). I also was intrigued for years with a guy name Bill Haast ( now deceased) who ran the Serpentarium in southern Florida for years.

Not to mention that I also never missed any of the videos done by BLOKE's neighbor :eek: >> the now deceased Steve Irwin :D . I had never in my life ever seen anyone that could handle super dangerous snakes like Steve Irwin could. I often in the summertime go to a state forest near where I live and observe a lot of snakes in the wild. We've got everything from Timber Rattlesnakes to Black Rat Snakes in that forest and they are all very interesting to watch>> at a safe distance of course. This should be a very interesting thread.
benben

Post by benben »

Never ever had the desire to own a snake even though I've always been fascinated by them! I know you probably won't like this.....as far as snakes on my property (close to the house), poisonous snakes die, and non-poisonous snakes live! Those are some fantastic pics btw!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm
Well "JuPaul" I first want to thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of those pet snakes with us. I've personally never owned a snake as a pet but I've had two of my close friends over the years who have had constrictor type snakes for pet. One friend of mine had a Burmese Python for many years and another old high school buddy I was very close friends with brought back a "Rainbow Boa Constrictor" from Brazil and kept it for a pet for a long time.

There is a "Youtube" exhibitor who goes by the name "Viperkeeper" who has some really intriguing videos on some extremely venomous snakes he's got for studying and for pets as well as venom extraction (milking). I also was intrigued for years with a guy name Bill Haast ( now deceased) who ran the Serpentarium in southern Florida for years.

Not to mention that I also never missed any of the videos done by BLOKE's neighbor :eek: >> the now deceased Steve Irwin :D . I had never in my life ever seen anyone that could handle super dangerous snakes like Steve Irwin could. I often in the summertime go to a state forest near where I live and observe a lot of snakes in the wild. We've got everything from Timber Rattlesnakes to Black Rat Snakes in that forest and they are all very interesting to watch>> at a safe distance of course. This should be a very interesting thread.
We used to have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa! She got pretty aggressive as she got older, though, so when our kids got old enough to open her tank we sold her. She was gorgeous, though.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

benben wrote:
Never ever had the desire to own a snake even though I've always been fascinated by them! I know you probably won't like this.....as far as snakes on my property (close to the house), poisonous snakes die, and non-poisonous snakes live! Those are some fantastic pics btw!
It's a sad reality, but you do what you have to do to protect your family. We have quite a few copperheads and timber rattlesnakes on our property as well, and when we're on their turf (i.e. in the woods) we leave them be. When they come to the cabin, though, it's a different story. A few months ago my husband almost stepped on a Timber right under our kids tire swing by the cabin. Not cool. My husband loves snakes even more than I do, but still that unlucky little guy had to go.
- Julia

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm
benben wrote:
It's a sad reality, but you do what you have to do to protect your family. We have quite a few copperheads and timber rattlesnakes on our property as well, and when we're on their turf (i.e. in the woods) we leave them be. When they come to the cabin, though, it's a different story. A few months ago my husband almost stepped on a Timber right under our kids tire swing by the cabin. Not cool. My husband loves snakes even more than I do, but still that unlucky little guy had to go.
With a Hobby that big I just have to assume you all must be herpetologists or zoologists? Your hobby is about on the same scale as "VIPERKEEPER" over at Youtube.

Viperkeeper has about the biggest and most extensive collection of hot snakes ( venomous) that I've ever seen and I'm including zoo and university settings as well. He has a Green Mamba that he has trained to literally crawl across a rod from it's cage to a table in which he feeds it on. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen done with wild, dangerous reptiles ever.

He has the biggest collection of "neurotoxic" snakes that I've ever seen. There was another guy I used to see a lot on TV whose name is Austin Stevens and he's out of South Africa. He's even more courageous than Steve Irwin was in some ways. There was one more guy I used to love that did several shows on Animal Planet channel and his name was Mark O'Shea. Haven't seen either one of those guys in a while but they were great at handling dangerous snakes.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:36 pm
benben wrote:
With a Hobby that big I just have to assume you all must be herpetologists or zoologists? Your hobby is about on the same scale as "VIPERKEEPER" over at Youtube.

Viperkeeper has about the biggest and most extensive collection of hot snakes ( venomous) that I've ever seen and I'm including zoo and university settings as well. He has a Green Mamba that he has trained to literally crawl across a rod from it's cage to a table in which he feeds it on. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen done with wild, dangerous reptiles ever.

He has the biggest collection of "neurotoxic" snakes that I've ever seen. There was another guy I used to see a lot on TV whose name is Austin Stevens and he's out of South Africa. He's even more courageous than Steve Irwin was in some ways. There was one more guy I used to love that did several shows on Animal Planet channel and his name was Mark O'Shea. Haven't seen either one of those guys in a while but they were great at handling dangerous snakes.
I wish I'd gone into zoology! We actually run a high-end remodeling company. I also handle the ball python side business, do freelance editing and grant-writing, and sell my weaving.

As for the snakes, we only have ball pythons right now. The venomous snakes we encounter are all wild, but I do follow a few folks that breed and handle venomous snakes as well as ball pythons (Olympus Reptiles, for one). And my oldest son and I love to watch the new Animal Planet show about the zoo Steve Irwin and his family started. :p
- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Julia, cool snakes! When we were little tackers my mates and I used to go bush and catch lizards. Apart from skinks we used to catch Frill Necks and Blue Tongues. We'd take them home to play with and feed them snails etc. for a few days then we'd take them back to where we caught them, let them go and catch some more.

I like snakes too, but couldn't eat a whole one. Ah, hahaha! Most snakes here are poisonous and best left alone. I have a horse at a mates place down the coast and they have a big Australian native python that comes and goes as it pleases in and out of the stables. I'm not sure what type it is but it's been there for many years, we usually see it up in the rafters and never hassle it.

The fires went through there a few weeks ago now and I hope the poor bugger wasn't burnt. :(
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Hey Julia, cool snakes! When we were little tackers my mates and I used to go bush and catch lizards. Apart from skinks we used to catch Frill Necks and Blue Tongues. We'd take them home to play with and feed them snails etc. for a few days then we'd take them back to where we caught them, let them go and catch some more.

I like snakes too, but couldn't eat a whole one. Ah, hahaha! Most snakes here are poisonous and best left alone. I have a horse at a mates place down the coast and they have a big Australian native python that comes and goes as it pleases in and out of the stables. I'm not sure what type it is but it's been there for many years, we usually see it up in the rafters and never hassle it.

The fires went through there a few weeks ago now and I hope the poor bugger wasn't burnt. :(
I bet their barn was rat free! That's all so sad about the fires...hope your horse is ok, too. What kind of horse do you have? I have a crazy-a** half Arabian mare and a big lazy Spotted saddle horse gelding. Side note: I rode trails in an Australian stock saddle for years - loved that thing! ;)
Last edited by JuPaul on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Julia

James Y

Post by James Y »

We have snakes in my immediate area, but I just don’t see them. AFAIK, no rattlers, though. Mainly, the reptiles I do see, when I see them, are alligator lizards, which I’ve always liked a lot. They look kinda like snakes with legs, and when I do see them, I let them do whatever they do in the food chain; I’m certain it’s only beneficial for us. When I spot one, I always make sure nobody’s cats are around my yard (people’s cats wander in and out of the yards around here).

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm
I bet their barn was rat free! That's all so sad about the fires...hope your horse is ok, too. What kind of horse do you have? I have a crazy-a** half Arabian mare and a big lazy Spotted saddle horse gelding.
All's good down there the front yard burnt but they were lucky and lost nothing. :)

I have a bay Thoroughbred gelding I was given when he retired many years ago. He was no superstar but won just shy of $1M when he raced. Chief's the nicest, kindest, best mannered horse you'll ever meet. He's getting on a bit now (18years) so I let him run with a few of his mates and haven't ridden him in over a two years I'd say. I don't get the chance to get down there as much as I'd like.

He gets around barefoot and my mate who's a farrier and taught me keeps his feet trimmed for me and his wife's a horse trainer and leads him out when she's working he own horses plus she hogs his mane, keeps him well fed and pretty and he looks more like one of our Stock Horses than a Thoroughbred.

I'm a hopeless bugger and lost a whole heap of photos recently I'll never replace because I don't know how to backup my phone so can't show you a pic right now. :rolleyes:

Just saw your edit. There are only two types of Saddles. Aussie stock saddles and these other strange things they strap to horses backs. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahahah! :p
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm
I bet their barn was rat free! That's all so sad about the fires...hope your horse is ok, too. What kind of horse do you have? I have a crazy-a** half Arabian mare and a big lazy Spotted saddle horse gelding.
All's good down there the front yard burnt but they were lucky and lost nothing. :)

I have a bay Thoroughbred gelding I was given when he retired many years ago. He was no superstar but won just shy of $1M when he raced. Chief's the nicest, kindest, best mannered horse you'll ever meet. He's getting on a bit now (18years) so I let him run with a few of his mates and haven't ridden him in over a two years I'd say. I don't get the chance to get down there as much as I'd like.

He gets around barefoot and my mate who's a farrier and taught me keeps his feet trimmed for me and his wife's a horse trainer and leads him out when she's working he own horses plus she hogs his mane, keeps him well fed and pretty and he looks more like one of our Stock Horses than a Thoroughbred.

I'm a hopeless bugger and lost a whole heap of photos recently I'll never replace because I don't know how to backup my phone so can't show you a pic right now. :rolleyes:

Just saw your edit. There are only two types of Saddles. Aussie stock saddles and these other strange things they strap to horses backs. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahahah! :p
Ha! Love it, and you're right, they're the best. I keep my horses barefoot as well. Here they are...the redhead is getting up there in years, too. She's almost 16, but it hasn't slowed her down much. She's incredibly sweet and goofy, but only has one speed that I call HOLD ON. I also found a pic of my Aussie saddle from the last time I cleaned it up!

- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 pm
Ha! Love it, and you're right, they're the best. I keep my horses barefoot as well. Here they are...the redhead is getting up there in years, too. She's almost 16, but it hasn't slowed her down much. She's incredibly sweet and goofy, but only has one speed that I call HOLD ON. I also found a pic of my Aussie saddle from the last time I cleaned it up!

Very cool, Julia! I’m a little surprised that you actually have an Aussie stock saddle and not a big ole typical roping saddle with a horn to stab you in the guts when you try to duck under branches and other scrub at pace. :p

Like I said before I’m a hopeless bugger and I’ve left my saddle on Chief more than once when I should have taken it off and he’s rolled in it so mine looks like an old pair of neglect boots. Lucky not to have snapped the tree. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

Edit: Your horse look nice and chilled ... kind eyes! :cool:

Edit again: I just noticed your saddle does have a roping horn. Mine doesn’t.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Those are beautiful snakes Julia!

I have a pet ball python. They make fantastic pets and mine (named Rolf; standard color morph) has been a great "ambassador" for the snake world, especially whenever we have snake-shy visitors. He is so docile and gentle.

I've always liked snakes. They are fascinating creatures and come in such variety and beauty. As pets, they're also very clean and quiet and require very little care.

Here he is right now, doing what he does pretty much all day, which is, nothing much. :)

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Very cool, Julia! I’m a little surprised that you actually have an Aussie stock saddle and not a big ole typical roping saddle with a horn to stab you in the guts when you try to duck under branches and other scrub at pace. :p

Like I said before I’m a hopeless bugger and I’ve left my saddle on Chief more than once when I should have taken it off and he’s rolled in it so mine looks like an old pair of neglect boots. Lucky not to have snapped the tree. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

Edit: Your horse look nice and chilled ... kind eyes! :cool:

Edit again: I just noticed your saddle does have a roping horn. Mine doesn’t.
I looked and looked for a hornless one when I got that one years ago. But I was poor and they're not common here, and I could only afford a used one, so in the end I bought that one. I liked to hook my leg up on it on long trail rides when I was younger and less concerned with silly things like safety. Now I usually ride in an English saddle which of course has no horn. But I grew up in bulky western saddles.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Those are beautiful snakes Julia!

I have a pet ball python. They make fantastic pets and mine (named Rolf; standard color morph) has been a great "ambassador" for the snake world, especially whenever we have snake-shy visitors. He is so docile and gentle.

I've always liked snakes. They are fascinating creatures and come in such variety and beauty. As pets, they're also very clean and quiet and require very little care.

Here he is right now, doing what he does pretty much all day, which is, nothing much. :)

Rolf is an excellent snake name! And you're right, ball pythons have great temperaments. My kids handle ours all the time - my oldest son likes to wear his "snake hat" with our chillest one riding around on his head. I've taken several of them to school and camp events, too.
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Hey Julia, cool snakes!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hey, Julia.
You have some pretty pythons in your family.

I only have dogs and chickens in the family. But I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, where I often run into snakes. Generally, I let them be. But sometimes when I'm with someone his isn't comfortable with snakes, I'll catch a snake and let them touch it or hold it. Usually, the ladies are more open minded, but after the guys see them holding a scary snake, they have to try it out. Then they learn, and everyone comes away more comfortable than before.

Here's a video of a rattler I came across near the house. I was running with my dog, that's why I sound like I'm ready to pass out. I don't pick up rattlers, of course. The wild snakes really ARE beneficial. More snakes, less rodents, less disease, more raptors, more coyotes, fewer rabbits. It's all a miraculous balancing act.

https://youtu.be/Wo_f0bmuWnI

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm
We have snakes in my immediate area, but I just don’t see them. AFAIK, no rattlers, though. Mainly, the reptiles I do see, when I see them, are alligator lizards, which I’ve always liked a lot. They look kinda like snakes with legs, and when I do see them, I let them do whatever they do in the food chain; I’m certain it’s only beneficial for us. When I spot one, I always make sure nobody’s cats are around my yard (people’s cats wander in and out of the yards around here).

Jim
I'm kind of surprised to hear that Jim. Because I've seen a lot of TV Shows about the reptiles of Southern California. The Mohave Rattlesnake is all over Southern California from what a couple of experts have told me. The bad thing about the Mohave Rattlesnake is that their venom has both "hemotoxic" and neurotoxic properties in their venom making them one of the more dangerous snakes in the North American Continent.

Hey Jim just for the heck of it try contacting your local game warden or conservation agent and ask them for information on reptiles in your area. I think you might be surprised at how many venomous snakes you do have in your region. When I was spending some time in the San Diego area about 10 years ago in the town of Poway we most definitely had those Mohave Rattlers there for sure. Also one of the neighbors told me they killed a "Sidewinder' in their yard back then too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When I was a kid I always had several pet snakes and usually one in my pocket to scare the girls and teachers. 😆
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050