Caly 3 love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: Caly 3 love?

Post by thewoodpecker »

Caly 3.5 just fits better ergonomically for me and is tough to beat for blade:handle ratio.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:05 pm
Caly 3.5 just fits better ergonomically for me and is tough to beat for blade:handle ratio.
Yeah,amazing.

Can´t wait for the lightweight.. Reveal FIVE I hope... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I own a couple of Caly3s but always favored the longer blade of the Caly 3.5. It was my favorite EDC for a long time, I bought several, and still consider it among Spyderco's best designs.

Pinned construction and limited steel choices eventually gave way to the lure of models and brands that offered newer steels and the tinkering fun of
screwed construction. If the Caly 3.5 were offered with updated steel and screwed construction I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Likewise for the full size Calypso...updated steel, screwed construction and CF. I still like the design despite its similarity to the Native Chief. The Calypso looks a bit friendlier to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 pm
I love the Caly, think it's a gorgeous knife and a great dress-up folder. Feels great in-hand. $175 just seems like a lot when I could get a Dragonfly for $100, or $120 for a nice one, and have almost the same utility.
Sorry, no offense, but imho you really can't compare a DFly to a Caly , starting by size...

The DFly is great for what it is, don't get me wrong, but "same utility as a Caly"... ?! :confused:
Have you ever carried a Dragonfly, Warstein? I've found it to be quite capable.

Expanding a bit, I guess I see the Caly as a light-duty knife for dress carry. Compared to a Para 3, with a similar-sized cutting edge, it feels thinner and more refined. The Para 3 feels a bit more hard-use. If I'm going to cary a light-duty knife to cut open boxes, apples and such, why not go for the even lighter-weight knife that allows me to do the same tasks? Bear in mind, it's been some time since I've handled a Caly, and it was the carbon fiber laminated zdp version (fancy).
No, admittedly I never really carried a Dragonfly as an EDC, just got to handle this model!

Maybe it comes down to what one defines as "utility". While - again -.the DFly if great for what it is, the Caly 3 imho offers a lot more "utility" (and not "the same"). Mostly cause it has an increase in cutting edge of about 40 %. Absolutely seen, for me an edge length of 2.65" (Caly 3) offers a lot more "utility" than just 1.86" (D Fly). Even in tasks you mentioned (cutting an apple..)
Generally, imho many regular EDC tasks are better done with a blade that´s a bit longer (and not THAT short as a DFlys):
- Just cutting stuff with larger diameters;
- Occasional food prep;
- Even slicing cardboard, where a longer blade/edge can really do the cut in a actual "slicing motion", so drawing the blade through the material while a short blade has to be more "pushed" through the cardboard, otherwise you´d "run out of blade
before you run out of material".
- When cutting on a surface a longer blade / knife can be held in a shallower / more convinient angle compared to the surface, and still you have clearance for the hand
- and so on...

And honestly I can´t see why the Para 3 should be more "heavy duty" than the Caly 3.. What the Para 3 has and what maybe gives the impression of heavy duty is a (way too)n thick bladestock at the heel of the blade (3.6mm). But the 3.00 mm of the Caly are more than strong enough, no one will ever realisticly break a blade of the either the one or the other thickness on a folder.
WHAT one can potentially break in "hard use" heavy duty tasks is the very tip of the knife (when working fast, hitting metal and so on). And THERE the Caly trumps the Para 3 with its (Para 3) rather fragile tip...

Just my 2c of course! No real "right or wrong" here! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm
The hap40 caly 3 is still on my wish list.
The Hap40 caly 3 is my edc. It's the perfect balance of everything I could want in a knife.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Much love

I guess I get to be the old guy that chimes in here ;). The Caly 3 (C113) is the back lock version of the original UKPK (C94) with the Caly 3.5 (C144) coming along later. While the UKPKs are made in Golden, the Calys are made in Moki Japan at the other major Spyderco factory they use over there (with Seki City pumping out Delicas, Enduras, Dragonflies and that series). Things began turning south at the Moki factory once the grandfather who ran the factory passed away and I believe his son who also worked there did soon after. That left the grandson in charge of the operation and apparently it’s been a bit of a learning curve to bring it all back up to speed. I’m not sure how well that’s going given the lack of new variants coming out recently but hope springs eternal for me since the 3.5 really is the quintessential perfect old school Spyderco in my eyes - fantastic ergos and some kind of black magic by Sal to fit in such an enormous blade into the same size handle as a Delica. Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:22 pm
Much love

I guess I get to be the old guy that chimes in here ;). The Caly 3 (C113) is the back lock version of the original UKPK (C94) with the Caly 3.5 (C144) coming along later. While the UKPKs are made in Golden, the Calys are made in Moki Japan at the other major Spyderco factory they use over there (with Seki City pumping out Delicas, Enduras, Dragonflies and that series). Things began turning south at the Moki factory once the grandfather who ran the factory passed away and I believe his son who also worked there did soon after. That left the grandson in charge of the operation and apparently it’s been a bit of a learning curve to bring it all back up to speed. I’m not sure how well that’s going given the lack of new variants coming out recently but hope springs eternal for me since the 3.5 really is the quintessential perfect old school Spyderco in my eyes - fantastic ergos and some kind of black magic by Sal to fit in such an enormous blade into the same size handle as a Delica. Hope that helps! Cheers, Radioactive :)
What an incredible post! So much detailed information that really explains things. And what an absolutely beautiful collection.
Thank you for posting that Radioactive, I really appreciate it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:22 pm
Much love

What an incredible post! So much detailed information that really explains things. And what an absolutely beautiful collection.
Thank you for posting that Radioactive, I really appreciate it.
All great info. It is also worth noting that they all came after the C52 Caly Jr and the epic C54 Calypso. The Clay family are wonderfully elegant knives that slice like crazy.

It is unfortunate that QC issues at Moki have killed off the Caly family to some extent.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This thread made pull out my Caly 3 HAP40 and put it in my pocket today. Love how smoooooth the action is. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 pm
This thread made pull out my Caly 3 HAP40 and put it in my pocket today. Love how smoooooth the action is. :)
Similarly, this thread caused me to carry my Super Blue Caly 3 today. Insanely smooth, crazy sharp, and a great carry.

Why don't I carry the Caly series more?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Why don't I carry the Caly series more?
I have no idea. Not sure why but I actually carry the UKPK more
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

From my numerous posts in the past my love for the Caly family is no secret to anyone here. Honestly, I have rotated my PE EDC knife very little in the last 6-8 months. The Superblue 3.5 has been near impossible to kick from my pocket. I love carrying the Caly 3, but it doesn't compare to the 3.5 for my uses. Ironically i carry the full sized Calypso less despite the blade length advantage.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm
No, admittedly I never really carried a Dragonfly as an EDC, just got to handle this model!

Maybe it comes down to what one defines as "utility". While - again -.the DFly if great for what it is, the Caly 3 imho offers a lot more "utility" (and not "the same"). Mostly cause it has an increase in cutting edge of about 40 %. Absolutely seen, for me an edge length of 2.65" (Caly 3) offers a lot more "utility" than just 1.86" (D Fly). Even in tasks you mentioned (cutting an apple..)
Generally, imho many regular EDC tasks are better done with a blade that´s a bit longer (and not THAT short as a DFlys):
- Occasional food prep;
- Even slicing cardboard, where a longer blade/edge can really do the cut in a actual "slicing motion", so drawing the blade through the material while a short blade has to be more "pushed" through the cardboard, otherwise you´d "run out of blade
- When cutting on a surface a longer blade / knife can be held in a shallower / more convinient angle compared to the surface, and still you have clearance for the hand
- and so on...

And honestly I can´t see why the Para 3 should be more "heavy duty" than the Caly 3.. What the Para 3 has and what maybe gives the impression of heavy duty is a (way too)n thick bladestock at the heel of the blade (3.6mm). But the 3.00 mm of the Caly are more than strong enough, no one will ever realisticly break a blade of the either the one or the other thickness on a folder.
WHAT one can potentially break in "hard use" heavy duty tasks is the very tip of the knife (when working fast, hitting metal and so on). And THERE the Caly trumps the Para 3 with its (Para 3) rather fragile tip...

First off, you should try a Dragonfly; it's a great knife. Likewise, I should try a Caly; also a great knife. :-)

When I bought my first D'fly, I had been carrying the Stretch exclusively; it was my 2nd Spyderco. I started carrying both, and really surprised myself at how often I pulled the D'fly over the Stretch to cut something; to cut everything. It got to the point where I realized I hadn't used my Stretch in a week or so, and this left me with a pretty strong impression. For such a small knife, the D'fly really can accomplish a lot. It's also worth noting that I'm all about "doing more with less," so I really get a kick out of the "little big knives."

Re: the Para 3 v. Caly, I just think it's a feel thing. I'll admit the P3 is in my hand and the Caly isn't. I'm sure the Caly is plenty capable, but the P3 feels like a working knife, where the Caly feels refined. Definitely not a scientific test.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:

- Occasional food prep;
- and so on...

First off, you should try a Dragonfly; it's a great knife. Likewise, I should try a Caly; also a great knife. :-)

When I bought my first D'fly, I had been carrying the Stretch exclusively; it was my 2nd Spyderco. I started carrying both, and really surprised myself at how often I pulled the D'fly over the Stretch to cut something; to cut everything. It got to the point where I realized I hadn't used my Stretch in a week or so, and this left me with a pretty strong impression. For such a small knife, the D'fly really can accomplish a lot. It's also worth noting that I'm all about "doing more with less," so I really get a kick out of the "little big knives."

Re: the Para 3 v. Caly, I just think it's a feel thing. I'll admit the P3 is in my hand and the Caly isn't. I'm sure the Caly is plenty capable, but the P3 feels like a working knife, where the Caly feels refined. Definitely not a scientific test.

Thanks for the detailled reply and the interesting discussion!

As said already, I am fully aware that the DFly is great for what it is, and sure can accomplish a lot (..more than some might think).

Still, in my personal use it just by design can´t have the same "utility" as a Caly 3 ,or generally any knife with a cutting edge 40 % longer than on the DFly - see my reasoning in my previous post. I just DO cut stuff with larger diameters, or DO some food prep occasionally, or DO like to make a more "slicing" in a more "sweeping" "arc" motion when cuttig cardboard or whittling wood, I DO find it easier to have more clearance for my hand when cutting on a surface/cutting board and so on... here a longer blade/edge (and also handle!) has clear advantages...

But I admit: Since knives like the Caly 3/Delica/Native and so on alreadey are too small for me for general EDC (Endura being perfect here), the DFly feels just tiny... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
First off, you should try a Dragonfly; it's a great knife. ....
Added to my post above, let me reply to this suggestion too:

As said, the DFly is great for what it is, but still I never actually got and carried, just handled one several times.

Why? Cause of the Chaparral FRN. I once had to decide between DFly and Chaparral for a small (tiny...) knife (carried IWB in running shorts for example), and the Chap won easily.

Where the DFly shines is the incredible light weight, no doubt, but other than that:

- The Chap is just 5 % longer than the DFly when closed and even a bit thinner in pocket
- BUT: The Chap STILL gives you 25 % (!!) more cutting edge in an even thinner blade stock (in fact it has about the same edge length as a Native and for me in actual use even better ergos...)

So I personally have just no need for a DFly, as long as there is a Chap...
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I guess I'm in the minority here - my favorite :spyder: is the Caly 3. I think it is perfect for my needs and packs more than enough cutting performance in the perfect size for EDC. With the discontinuation of the Caly 3, outside of sprint runs, I've settled for the UKPK. I hope that with the likely success of the upcoming LW Caly 3.5, we may one day see a LW Caly 3.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd love to see a Caly 3 LW, hopefully with screw construction, a wider selection of steels, and a more affordable entry price point. I'd love to see a basic model in CTS-BD1N... a steel with relatively low cost, a high degree of corrosion resistance (almost at the level of M390 & CPM-S110V), decent toughness, and wear resistance far superior to that of VG-10. The closest thing I have right now to that is the UKPK, which is—among all the "humped" Spyderco knives—the one that fits my hand best.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I own one of every Caly 3 and 3.5 ever produced.
It's my favorite spyderco design of all time. Sal is a beast. Its ergo ratios show up in all kinds of places like the Copa and the Kiwi.
I recommend them to everyone.
The SuperBlue is the best, followed by Hap40 if you ask me.
My knife, the Introvert, blatantly steels much of its ergonomics from the Caly.
The pinch point is the best on any knife ever.
The 3.5 is aiiight, but not as sheeple friendly.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I absolutely love my Caly 3 sprint. I hope to have more in the future. If there is ever a CQI for a thinner blade stock like the UKPK I would love it even more. I'll be happy with a FRN version too
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

SolidState wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 am
My knife, the Introvert, blatantly steels much of its ergonomics from the Caly.
This makes so much sense! I've posted before about how the Introvert is one of the best ergonomic fits for my hand. As well, the Caly 3 & UKPK melt into my hand like no other "humped" Spydercos. So great job adapting the Caly's ergos, it was definitely a successful adaptation.