Sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shane77

Sprints

Post by Shane77 »

Hello Spyderco Forums
Long time lurker, first time poster of a new topic, well the topic is no where near new, but..
I just wanted to say first off that I always loved the idea of sprints, I missed out on a lot, but I also have some good scores in the collection. And at first I was a little upset with Nick Shabazz 's rant against them. But after seeing the newest reveal, I do feel like its getting a bit out of hand, maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking that since the conception of the sprint run the community has grown so much, that maybe it would work out for everyone if the minimum number of each sprint was raised? Say instead of 1,200 it was 2,200 or 600 to 900?
Just a thought. Thanx every one!, I would like to see how everyone else feels about the sprints
curlyhairedboy

Re: Sprints

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I can't speak to the realities of Spyderco's manufacturing capacity, but as one of the most prolific production companies, they introduce and discontinue models at paces far faster than the competition.

Sprints might be a way to respond quickly to the demands of the enthusiast market while not permanently devoting resources to steels and features that might pass in popularity soon. We asked for Rex45, Spyderco's giving us Rex45 - but in a way that allows them to keep making 'normal' knives too.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shane,

Welcome and thanx for posting. I'll present your suggestion to the management team.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

With virtually every single Sprint Run of the past year selling out in about 3.8 seconds, I also think it would make sense for Spyderco to increase Sprint numbers.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Shane77 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm
Hello Spyderco Forums
Long time lurker, first time poster of a new topic, well the topic is no where near new, but..
I just wanted to say first off that I always loved the idea of sprints, I missed out on a lot, but I also have some good scores in the collection. And at first I was a little upset with Nick Shabazz 's rant against them. But after seeing the newest reveal, I do feel like its getting a bit out of hand, maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking that since the conception of the sprint run the community has grown so much, that maybe it would work out for everyone if the minimum number of each sprint was raised? Say instead of 1,200 it was 2,200 or 600 to 900?
Just a thought. Thanx every one!, I would like to see how everyone else feels about the sprints
Very good and thoughtfull first topic, Shane! :)

I am not really into sprints..

Only have three myself:

- Endura and Stretch in HAP 40, got them years after the Sprint was announced, one used on ebay, one I could even find new at an online store
- Straight Spine Stretch (very recently): Was easy to get, actually I really can´t believe it is still in stock at some places, given how great and special it is imho...

But of course I am behind the idea, that more people who wish so, can actually get certain sprints!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Shane77 wrote:
But after seeing the newest reveal, I do feel like its getting a bit out of hand, maybe I'm wrong,
I don't understand how things are getting "out of hand." Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. I've never purchased a Sprint, but there are two that caught my eye, so I'll probably buy them when they become available. The price doesn't seem out of line, so why not?

I could see why someone might be offended if limited production was overhyped and then prices were jacked up exorbitantly, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A more interesting question is WHY does Spyderco go through all the extra expense to create a limited run? Perhaps Sal sits in his office and gets a notion about a knife he'd like to fidget with while watching , so he gets on the intercom, "Eric! Make me some Rex 45's! I want a Manix! And a Native 5! And something else! Make sure I'll like it!" And then poor Eric has to tool up to make these knives, and then do something with the overage, so he calls it a "Sprint" and hopes we buy them. Well? It's possible.

Or what about the Sprints as a marketing test? Make a handful of knifes, throw 'em out there, and the characteristics of those that sell most quickly are integrated into future catalog items.

Regardless of the reason for making them, if you want one, buy it. If it's "out of hand," don't.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Shane77 wrote:
But after seeing the newest reveal, I do feel like its getting a bit out of hand, maybe I'm wrong,
I don't understand how things are getting "out of hand." Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. I've never purchased a Sprint, but there are two that caught my eye, so I'll probably buy them when they become available. The price doesn't seem out of line, so why not?

I could see why someone might be offended if limited production was overhyped and then prices were jacked up exorbitantly, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A more interesting question is WHY does Spyderco go through all the extra expense to create a limited run? Perhaps Sal sits in his office and gets a notion about a knife he'd like to fidget with while watching , so he gets on the intercom, "Eric! Make me some Rex 45's! I want a Manix! And a Native 5! And something else! Make sure I'll like it!" And then poor Eric has to tool up to make these knives, and then do something with the overage, so he calls it a "Sprint" and hopes we buy them. Well? It's possible.

Or what about the Sprints as a marketing test? Make a handful of knifes, throw 'em out there, and the characteristics of those that sell most quickly are integrated into future catalog items.

Regardless of the reason for making them, if you want one, buy it. If it's "out of hand," don't.

Rusty, no offense and I respect your opinion, but I think Shanes main point really is:

- At one point a certain number (or certain numbers) of production pieces were established by Spyderco concerning Sprint runs
- Now perhaps just the quantity of people who are interested in Sprints has grown larger over time
-Consequently Spyderco COULD think about adapting / rising those numbers

Nothing wrong with that thought, right?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Users will say this is a great idea.

Collectors will cry that it reduces their value.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Might be why I like it... I am "user", 100 %... ;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Shane77 wrote:

The point isn't that they're too expensive, but that the demand in recent years has far outstripped supply. Yes I know that there will always be some degree of this with limited items but I think there is room for Spyderco to expand without destroying the spirit of the thing.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think a higher number would be good, but as curlyhairedboy said, Spyderco churns through models so much that if you are kicking yourself for missing one sprint, the next one is right around the corner. Most likely in a steel that will soon be the community fetish you don’t even know about right now. It would be GREAT if a bit of an increase in number would discourage flippers though, I don’t think anyone would miss that. Higher numbers could also help Golden sprint stay in stock for at least a full day.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

For those that have not seen the video the OP was referring to.

https://youtu.be/WBATS1u3QTs
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Evil D wrote:

So true. Same problem in the firearm community. It would be absolutely great if the Hughes Amendment was repealed, but then overnight a transferable M16 lower would go from $30,000 to $200, and the collection some guy put his whole life savings into would only be as interesting as the historical/vintage appeal. Unfortunately too many people who have money invested in the artificial rarity would ensure it never happens. Heck, I spent WAY too much money getting a suppressor, but if they were deregulated tomorrow and I could get the exact same thing for $100, I wouldn’t shed a tear. Spyderco may lose some of their Collectors Club members, but the general community would benefit.
Last edited by Ez556 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I carry and use all my knives, including Sprint runs and dealer exclusives. I'm all for upping production numbers, especially if it makes the "flippers" suffer.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:

Well if they could solve the issue of people gaming the system it would go a long way for others to get them in the 1st place.

Limiting them doesn't seem to work either as some people end up with a lot of them (gaming the system) and they end up on EBAY etc.

Limiting to 2 and some still end up with a bunch of them, there is a massive issue there that needs to be taken care of.

It's either at the disturber level or some store level is were the problem is... Some very dishonest people out there.....Some people end up with a lot of them, means less for everyone else at normal pricing..... ;)

So in the end solving that problem would go a long way toward making more people happy.

IMO all Sprints need to be sold though the Spyderco Store....
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

****. I had this great response where I got all philisophical about consumerism and then my phone messed up. It doesnt matter.

Do you need a mercedes vs a honda civic if you use both for the same thing?

My issue is something I see happening now, and thats not getting a heads up on sprint runs/exclusives before hand. What Im saying is, I know I want another shaman and another native chief. But I would hate to jump on a sprint or exclusive of those only to find out the one that would have been perfect for me was right around the corner, and now I have no more money in my knife fund. I guess its all just the nature of the game.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Evil D wrote:

Well if they could solve the issue of people gaming the system it would go a long way for others to get them in the 1st place.

Limiting them doesn't seem to work either as some people end up with a lot of them (gaming the system) and they end up on EBAY etc.

Limiting to 2 and some still end up with a bunch of them, there is a massive issue there that needs to be taken care of.

It's either at the disturber level or some store level is were the problem is... Some very dishonest people out there.....Some people end up with a lot of them, means less for everyone else at normal pricing..... ;)

So in the end solving that problem would go a long way toward making more people happy.

Not necessarily true.

I sometimes end up with 4 or more of a sprint I REALLY love, even though the limit was 1 or 2 per household.

The dealer or distributor has nothing to do with that in my case. I simply buy my allotment and then I go to the forums to get more.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Not necessarily true.

I sometimes end up with 4 or more of a sprint I REALLY love, even though the limit was 1 or 2 per household.

The dealer or distributor has nothing to do with that in my case. I simply buy my allotment and then I go to the forums to get more.

Oh it is, been watching it for a VERY long time…

Not talking about just a few knives here either...
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I think the basic Sprint Run concept is a good idea: produce a limited number of a knife of a particular design/steel combination that would likely not be popular enough to support a full, ongoing production run. It's a sensible way to fill a perceived gap in the market.

It becomes a problem once you get speculators & scalpers coming into play, making the Sprint Run knives extremely difficult to buy & artificially inflating prices on the secondary market. But that is an issue that may very well be outside of Spyderco's control (larger industries have tried and failed to curb scalper & speculator activity).

The proposed solution, to scale up the production of Sprint Runs so that those who want them are more likely to find them at a fair price (or find them at all!) sounds workable, but that presumes that Spyderco will be able to maintain profit margins from the scaled-up production to still keep the Sprint Run commercially viable for the company. There's probably an optimum production number that will allow for this, but that's for Spyderco's accountants to figure out LOL.

Anyway, just my C$.02.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Ankerson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I like the SFO idea for sprints. When there’s a sprint coming that I want, I spend a lot of time going to various dealer sites and checking if they have them yet. Plus keeping an eye on the forums. And even then I sometimes miss out. Would be pretty sweet for a lot more OpFocus people too.