Reveal 4, What's your favorite release?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Reveal 4, What's your favorite release?

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Watu is pretty cool. Kinda pricey though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

CPM SPY27 is the favorite thing announced. I like the fact that it is a well-balanced steel with a nod to those who like to sharpen without some of DBH's CBN stones. I'd love to see it in the Seki models, but that is not meant to be. Because of the stupid knife laws where I live, the Lil Native would a model I could actually carry. However, the P4 LW has shown me that a larger knife doesn't have to feel/act that way in hand and in pocket. So maybe the Native Chief in CPM SPY27 would be my ideal incarnation of the new steel.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:39 pm
CPM SPY27 is the favorite thing announced. I like the fact that it is a well-balanced steel with a nod to those who like to sharpen without some of DBH's CBN stones. I'd love to see it in the Seki models, but that is not meant to be. Because of the stupid knife laws where I live, the Lil Native would a model I could actually carry. However, the P4 LW has shown me that a larger knife doesn't have to feel/act that way in hand and in pocket. So maybe the Native Chief in CPM SPY27 would be my ideal incarnation of the new steel.
No interest in the Chief in Rex45? When I saw that I figured it would be a MAJOR hit, as many people have been asking for a Sprint/Exclusive of that model shortly after it first dropped.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Looking forward to the Watu.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:42 pm
No interest in the Chief in Rex45? When I saw that I figured it would be a MAJOR hit, as many people have been asking for a Sprint/Exclusive of that model shortly after it first dropped.
No experience with Rex 45, so I can't say one way or the other. In listening to some smart people about what CPM SPY27 could be, I think that steel is more inline with what I prefer. Not saying Rex 45 is a lesser steel. It seems to have lots of fans, and I can't imagine the Native Chief in Rex 45 is going to disappoint.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Native, Chief and possibly Shaman in REX45.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Manix 2 Rex45 Sprint in Frcp and G-10, and the K390 Ladybug
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Preordered the Para3 LW in SPY27. I'll probably try for the Chief or Shaman in REX45.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It's all about the the Rex 45 Shaman, Native Chief and that beautiful little K390 Ladybug for me.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh wow, so much good stuff all at once! :cool:

K390 Ladybug, yes please.

Three of my favorite models in REX 45!! Gonna plan not to buy all three. May go for the Chief, since i have been asking for sprints and a Salt version since i got mine when they first dropped. I also want to see a Chief in CruWear and peel ply G10, not the KC smooth G10/ Cruwear, as much as i like it in the Native 5.

I could also see going for a Native LW in REX 45 because I would probably carry that one the most of the three.

I am holding out for an FRN Stretch 2 in K390, so may skip the REX 45 Shaman. They are really different knives, but occupy the same size class. I've got two Shaman already and as much as i love them. I find that for a lot of the utility work i do with a knife the FRN Stretch 2 is more practical so I want more of those to complement my V-Toku 2 model.

The Sun and Moon Chaparral is a maybe for me. I sorta wish it were built with the full liners and exposed H of the Carbon fiber variant rather than the nested liners like the FRN version. It appeared with nested liners in Eric's pre-preview reveal of it in the video he did with BHQ at Blade 2019. Currently i'm more interested in traditional knives for the role of something like the Sun and Moon Chap, but it sure looks really good.

The Murray Carter stuff looks good, but i'm pretty set on kitchen knives. The Astute is also cool-- I'm working on the assumption that Ed Schempp was involved in the design. He does such interesting work, though i wish he did more mid lockbacks. As for the Astute, I have enough 8Cr13Mov. It is a fine steel, i just have enough of it. I Like his folding Bowie, but i would replace the carbon fiber with something else.

I thought last year was an exciting knife year. Yikes!! :eek: :D :cool: :spyder:
attila

Post by attila »

At first, it was the Rex 45 Shaman, but I'm not sure anymore.

I can't decide which of these ideas I like the most:

SPY27 Manix LW
S45VN PM2
Rex 45 Manix 2 & LW, Chief, and Shaman
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:42 pm

Get your hands away from Native Chief! I want one for myself! Hahaha
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm
The bombshell looks more like a Michael Burch knife than Spyderco has done before. I’m very excited for one.
It looks like a Burch knife because it is! ;)

To answer the thread title’s question: Watu sayin’? :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Watu checks off quite a few desires for me specs wise, and is probably the only knife in the reveal that I really want. I like the SPY27 knives' cobalt blue FRN handles, but I'd rather have a Native 5 LW in that combo. Still, the Para 3 LW is tempting.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Finally a Lil Native Sprint Run. I’ve gotta have one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

This is pretty easy for me. REX 45, for sure. But what flavor?
There are two Sprints that might find their ways into my possession.

Native 5 LW: It's a little smaller than my usual carry knives, and might be handy for those times when I want to go lighter than usual.

Native Chief: Why on Earth would I want a carry knife so big? I don't know, either. But it looks cool, so that's probably reason enough.

Really, the driving force here is the material. I WANT to play with REX 45.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t mind being the odd man out because nothing other than the little Ladybug floats my boat.

That said, I love this time of year and the excitement it generates on our Forum. :cool:

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 pm
I don’t mind being the odd man out because nothing other than the little Ladybug floats my boat.

That said, I love this time of year and the excitement it generates on our Forum. :cool:

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :rolleyes:
Don't feel bad, I always get excited over new Ladybugs...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm
The bombshell looks more like a Michael Burch knife than Spyderco has done before. I’m very excited for one.
It looks like a Burch knife because it is! ;)

To answer the thread title’s question: Watu sayin’? :D

Clearly. But this actually looks like the stuff he makes. Unlike the chubby.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:45 pm
Don't feel bad, I always get excited over new Ladybugs...
They’re amazingly capable little knives along with Manbugs but they cause me plenty of angst because they’re so small.

I’m a scatter brain, don’t put them back in the same pocket they came out of and then panic when I need them again, thinking I’ve lost them and rush back to where I used it last patting myself down like a crazy man looking for them. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin