Sun/Moon Chappy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Edward_Scissorhands

Sun/Moon Chappy

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

You guys seen this? Looks kinda cool:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP152G ... g10-inlays
TkoK83Spy

Re: Sun/Moon Chappy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Check the reveal threads, these knives your mentioning in the past couple threads are being discussed in those threads all afternoon.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Very cool... :)

Have a look at this tvread of 2019 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84056 , there it gets discussed extensively and in the first post is a link to a vid where Eric introduces the sun and moon Chap
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Have a look at this tvread of 2019 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84056 , there it gets discussed extensively and in the first post is a link to a vid where Eric introduces the sun and moon Chap
Wartstein I'm so happy you're getting your Chappie! :p ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks! :)

... You won't get one...? ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Thanks, I'll check out those other threads. Figured you guys must be talking about them, just wasn't sure where.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:51 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks! :)

... You won't get one...? ;)
I think I will! Apparently the chap deserves a 2nd chance. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
jdw

Post by jdw »

This is the release that I have been waiting for. I love the concept of creating a knife representing celestial balance and the Tao. Well done.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is on my list...a list that is ever expanding.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am
This is the release that I have been waiting for. I love the concept of creating a knife representing celestial balance and the Tao. Well done.

+ 1

This is one of Spydercos best designs ever imho (or to put it better one of the best knife designs overall ever...)

For one considering the great knife just functionwise (a masterpiece even among Sals masterpieces imho, absolutely perfect for what it is)
But in this case also the sun and moon design. Just beautifull, in a masterfull way simplified, one CAN interpret meaning into it (yin and yang, sun and moon, ..) but does not have to.

Can´t wait to get my sun and moon Chap, despite already having the FRN version which actually does everything I want.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

It was on my list but we'll see.......

Price is a little steep IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am
It was on my list but we'll see.......

Price is a little steep IMO.
Sure, 60 USD more than the FRN version.

But totally worth it for me!!

As I see it, I pay 1.) for a knife 2.) for a piece of art ;)

Plus I can imagine that manufacturing that handle with the two inlays, and that in good fit and finish, is more complicated than "just" uniformly G10...
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I’m getting one. It’ll be my “gentleman’s” folder to replace my old Jess Horn C34.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sildani wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:41 am
I’m getting one. It’ll be my “gentleman’s” folder to replace my old Jess Horn C34.

You won´t regret it. The Chap indeed IS a perfect "gentleman folder", BUT also a very capable and surprisingly sturdy (outdoor- and general-) tool!
I used an abused my FRN Chappy a lot, it took it like a champ and even further convinced me, that thicker bladestock on small folders really is not necessary as long as the tip does not get TOO thin (and the Chaps tip is not too fragile due to the leaf shaped blade).
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Not getting one, but I gave to admit that it is nice looking one.
Only thing thank I am not sure about is longetivity of that mother of pearl inlay if you EDC the knife.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm looking forward to this Chaparral. Put in my pre-order yesterday.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am
May I ask: Where can one preorder it already? (Though I really hope it will hit European dealers eventually too... much easier for me)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:44 am
The Deacon wrote:
May I ask: Where can one preorder it already? (Though I really hope it will hit European dealers eventually too... much easier for me)

There may be other dealers taking pre-orders as well, but mine is with KnifeCenter. Have no idea how their shipping rates to the EU are. They're also taking pre-orders for all the other models from Reveal 4.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

There may be other dealers taking pre-orders as well, but mine is with KnifeCenter. Have no idea how their shipping rates to the EU are. They're also taking pre-orders for all the other models from Reveal 4.

Thanks, Paul! :)

I even get their newsletter, but rarely order due to the hazzle and time it takes (shipping to Europe), and also cause I generally think for an European it is a good idea to support European dealers, for several reasons, also in order to help a tiny bit in letting Spyderco expand worldwide even more and MAYBE rise the chances of more brick and mortar stores over here...

Last time I checked, I could NOT preorder the new items (or mabye just the sprints!?) from kc, but as of now I could, at least the sun and moon Chap (EDIT: And NOT the sprints: "Currently unavailable")
But since it is regular production I think I´ll see if it makes it to Europe.. Hope so, would hate to miss out on it, but don´t think so in that case
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Thanks, Paul! :)

I even get their newsletter, but rarely order due to the hazzle and time it takes (shipping to Europe), and also cause I generally think for an European it is a good idea to support European dealers, for several reasons, also in order to help a tiny bit in letting Spyderco expand worldwide even more and MAYBE rise the chances of more brick and mortar stores over here...

Last time I checked, I could NOT preorder the new items (or mabye just the sprints!?) from kc, but as of now I could, at least the sun and moon Chap (EDIT: And NOT the sprints: "Currently unavailable")
But since it is regular production I think I´ll see if it makes it to Europe.. Hope so, would hate to miss out on it, but don´t think so in that case
I once bought from KC and was very happy. Shipping was cheap and fast. Tbh. you wont usually wait long for shipping, its customs processing that can take weeks :( Unfortunately we have to add (10 + x * 1,2)€ to the price.

I'll ask knives and tools if they have them incoming... end price might be similar though..