POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not buy one?

YES, got one, it´s great
16%
YES, got one, it´s ok-ish
2%
YES, got one, not really for me
No votes
YES, will certainly get one
6%
Thinking about getting one, not sure yet
21%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but YES; certainly in variants (steel...)
14%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but MAYBE in variants
10%
NO, not interested at all in that model
30%

Total votes: 154

James Y

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by James Y »

I’m actually split on which I want to try first: PE or SE. Or, since the Endela isn’t all that expensive, maybe both at the same time(?). In photos, the serration pattern on the Endela looks about perfect...not too pointy/narrow/aggressive.

Jim
Wartstein

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm
I’m actually split on which I want to try first: PE or SE. Or, since the Endela isn’t all that expensive, maybe both at the same time(?). In photos, the serration pattern on the Endela looks about perfect...not too pointy/narrow/aggressive.

Jim
If you ask me: SE, no doubt. Amazing, really, in the 3mm stock ffg blade. And it still has a good amount of PE towards the tip (almost 2/3 of an inch I think)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´ll revive this poll I started once, just to get a glimpse on how the Endela does meanwhile (though this is of no general statistical value of course).

As said in my op in Sept, my hope is that (as probably most times) if the model sells well, there are better chances for variants concerning color, steel...

So, please vote, if you like! :)

Edit:To those who HAVE already voted: You can change your vote! (For example from: "Thinking about getting one" to "got one")
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

It's on my list for this year. If it comes out in the k390 sprint, I'll get a PE one. If not, I'll get the vg-10 SE. Wartstein, you are mostly to blame for this. :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Waiting for a Cruwear exclusive to match my Delica.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

May pick one up, at some point, out of curiosity, for the collection. However it probably won't see pocket time since, while it would fit nicely in my back pocket, I strongly prefer models with a 50/50 choil for carry and the Stretch has one.

The thing that makes me curious is the weight difference. The regular Stretch is listed at 3.7 oz and the SS version at 3.8, while the Endela, with very similar physical dimensions and identical materials, is listed at only 3.1 oz. That puzzles me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 am
May pick one up, at some point, out of curiosity, for the collection. However it probably won't see pocket time since, while it would fit nicely in my back pocket, I strongly prefer models with a 50/50 choil for carry and the Stretch has one.

The thing that makes me curious is the weight difference. The regular Stretch is listed at 3.7 oz and the SS version at 3.8, while the Endela, with very similar physical dimensions and identical materials, is listed at only 3.1 oz. That puzzles me.
Having Endela, Stretch 1 and SS Stretch 2, I can absolutely comprehend those weight differences:
The Endela actually clearly feels lighter, and has both a narrower (less tall) handle and blade. Given that also the liners are narrower, those amounts of less material (mostly steel) will add up to the difference of about 0.6 oz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm
It's on my list for this year. If it comes out in the k390 sprint, I'll get a PE one. If not, I'll get the vg-10 SE. Wartstein, you are mostly to blame for this. :D

You need an SE Endela in any case, so go ahead and get it right now... :D

But fyi: I know you like the Delica, so be aware, the Endela clearly is MUCH more like an Endura than a Delica! (I´d say over 90 % "Endura", less than 10 % "Delica")
Lengthwise and concerning thickness its dimensions are excatly like on a Stretch 2, in pocket it feels "smaller" though, cause it´s noticeable slimmer in height (less "wide", both in blade and handle)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm
The Deacon wrote: .....

Added to my posts above: See pic below:

Julia: Endela vs Delica (and Stretch 2)

Paul: Here you can see how much slimmer the Endela is in height compared to the Stretch, and due to that (less material overall) lighter I suppose

andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I’ll def pick one up in k390.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Yeah I'm waiting on a steel variant for the Endela.
I already have a large folder with the PM2 (and the Rat I) so something more pocketable/less scary (you wouldn't believe some of my customers' looks when I take out my PM2) in a tough as nails steel (K390 or M390 please Mr Glesser ?) and a coloured handle would be right up my alley.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 am
Yeah I'm waiting on a steel variant for the Endela.
I already have a large folder with the PM2 (and the Rat I) so something more pocketable/less scary (you wouldn't believe some of my customers' looks when I take out my PM2) in a tough as nails steel (K390 or M390 please Mr Glesser ?) and a coloured handle would be right up my alley.

Be aware: The Endela is not really smaller than a PM2, but has almost the exact same dimensions! (Just a tad thinner and a bit less wide (in height)
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:20 am
Be aware: The Endela is not really smaller than a PM2, but has almost the exact same dimensions! (Just a tad thinner and a bit less wide (in height)
Huh, I didn't know that. I'd have to hold one to reach a conclusion
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ThomC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:20 am
Huh, I didn't know that. I'd have to hold one to reach a conclusion

If "noticeable smaller than a PM2" is the goal, certainly the Delica is the "better Endela" for you... and does already come in the different steel variations you're looking for! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I’m just waiting for a Sprint to come out.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 am
Having Endela, Stretch 1 and SS Stretch 2, I can absolutely comprehend those weight differences:
The Endela actually clearly feels lighter, and has both a narrower (less tall) handle and blade. Given that also the liners are narrower, those amounts of less material (mostly steel) will add up to the difference of about 0.6 oz.

I've seen your photos and was not surprised that the Endela is lighter, only by how much lighter it is. Some difference in weight was ti be expected but being roughly 20% lighter was more that I'd have guessed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 am

I've seen your photos and was not surprised that the Endela is lighter, only by how much lighter it is. Some difference in weight was ti be expected but being roughly 20% lighter was more that I'd have guessed.

I don´t own a scale exact enough to verify... but the Endela certainly feels 20 % lighter than the Stretch.
And I tried to measure and compare the handle-width (handle height) at several points, the increase from Endela to Stretch is roughly 20% either indeed...
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I was waiting for the ZDP-189 version. I was persuaded to pick up the SE VG-10 version. Now that I have the SE version as can see what all the talk was about. It’s a great blade. I carry it 90% of the time outside of the office.
Last edited by dan31 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am
I was waiting for the ZDP-189 version. I was persuaded to pick up the SE VG-10 version. Now that I have the SE version as can see what all the talk was about. It’s a great blade. I carry it 90% of the time outside of work.

Don´t know if I contibuted a bit in persuading you (or if this forum did generally), but I am glad if people feel like me (who is admittedly not the greatest expert on this forum...) and can confirm what an amazing "cutting machine" the Endela SE really is!! :)

Enjoy it, I still carry the Endela SE more than any other of my folders, despite I generally prefer a bit more cutting edge.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I was persuaded 99% by you Wartstein! I use to carry a SE Mariner in the service and forgot how great a SE blade can be. The Endela SE FFG is a great cutting tool. It would be a great first SE model for anyone to try out SE.