More Z-Cut at work

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

More Z-Cut at work

Post by Doc Dan »

Imageimage host

I bought a bunch of green plantains for my wife to fry. We had to put cooking oil on the blade of the Z-Cut because the sap will otherwise coat the blade like sticky glue that is very difficult to remove.

After oiling I peeled the tough fibrous skin off (these are not bananas. No comparison) and sliced it into thin slices like potato chips. Then I immediately put the slices in water for otherwise they will turn black in a couple of minutes. I repeated this with a dozen or more plantains.

My wife coated the chips with chili/pepper powder, turmeric, and salt. Then she fried them. Yum.

The ZCut never missed a beat and the thin blade made skinning and slicing very easy indeed. The knife was still sharp enough to slice paper afterwards. Many kitchen knives will be dull after skinning and cutting so many plantains.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Re: More Z-Cut at work

Post by Bloke »

Very cool, Doc! :)

Great to see you enjoying the little Z-Cuts. I’d buy a handful for beloved wife to trash on her granite cutting board (like every other kitchen knife) but the way our dollar is trading at the moment, plus shipping costs ...

Tell me, how do they go on durians? Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: More Z-Cut at work

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 am
Very cool, Doc! :)

Great to see you enjoying the little Z-Cuts. I’d buy a handful for beloved wife to trash on her granite cutting board (like every other kitchen knife) but the way our dollar is trading at the moment, plus shipping costs ...

Tell me, how do they go on durians? Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
Bloke! Where have you been? I saw a roo all burned up and was sure it was you. Hahaha 😂!

I don’t do durians! Anything that smells like a week old dead animal and tastes about the same I’m not going near if I can help it. Hahahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050