KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely looks like a laminate to me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

BigGrove wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am
FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am
FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am

We will see if it is solid rosewood which is very restricted to import and trade, requiring CITES documentation and other types of permits or the same old Pakawood with dyed laminated mystery wood, labeled "Rosewood" due to its color.
Only musical instruments are exempt from CITES restrictions on transportation of rosewood.

Pakawood is a good knife scale material, impregnated with resins it is tough and durable less likely to chip or split compared to solid wood. My problem is that it is can be ugly in appearance and depends upon the base material laminates. I have some older Marbles fixed blades with Game Getter full shaped handles made of imitation cocobolo laminated that are rather nice, fit the hand comfortably.

Regards,
FK
I really like the pakkawood on the delica I have, and KC goes into a lot of detail about what it is in their online descriptions. But on this Shaman, it only says the scales are "3D machined from beautiful rosewood." Doesn't sound like this one is pakkawood, or another laminate.
Looking at the pictures from Knife Center, the edge of the handle looks like a laminate rather than a solid piece of wood.
IIRC Sal said it was solid rosewood, but that photo sure makes it look like a laminated wood product.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Getting one for the collection. :)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm
It is my understanding that the knife is actual Rosewood.

sal
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85166&p=1371430&hil ... d#p1371430
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

What makes it or breaks it for me, is the wood stabilized or not?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm
What makes it or breaks it for me, is the wood stabilized or not?

Rosewood is very dense so it won't matter much one way or the other.
FK

Post by FK »

That photo is not rosewood,, it is a mystery softwood dyed and impregnated into laminated form.
Nothing wrong as a knife handle, just not as advertised.
I would also guess it is not stabilized as in exotic woods for handles, only glued up into plywood.
Real rosewood is very oily and does not glue up very well for mass production.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FK

Post by FK »

Delete
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm
That photo is not rosewood,, it is a mystery softwood dyed and impregnated into laminated form.
I would also guess it is not stabilized as in exotic woods for handles, only glued up into plywood.

Regards,
FK
I believe ACTUAL rosewood is illegal. Or just the species used in guitars? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can say for certain. Either way I have nothing against it except that I carry my knives in my pocket and all that sweat moisture + unstabilized wood is a big no from me. But if what FK says is true, I kinda wished spyderco went for something cheaper but better looking, like maple burl or something :( I hope I don't sound like a mindless complainer. Wood is my favorite handle material together with canvas micarta.
Last edited by emanuel on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm
FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Regards,
FK
I believe ACTUAL rosewood is illegal.
Perhaps if you have some that was imported prior to the ban, it can be grandfathered in?
FK

Post by FK »

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/stori ... egulations

The extensive documentation required would make commercial use rather expensive.

Regards,
FK
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

That’s a beautiful knife.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm
I kinda wished spyderco went for something cheaper but better looking, like maple burl or something...
I know that wood poses all kinds of challenges due to moisture or lack there of, but I find snakewood and leopardwood to be beautiful.

Murray Carter will often have pictures on his IG page of knives with CF bolsters, desert ironwood scales, and red G10 liners. It is really quite striking.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Regardless what folks think of the scales, which I'm kind of surprised at what I'm reading so far...it's nice to see something different than FRN or G10! That price for a Shaman with Rex45 is well worth it, scales or not.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 pm
Regardless what folks think of the scales, which I'm kind of surprised at what I'm reading so far...it's not to see something different than FRN or G10! That price for a Shaman with Rex45 is well worth it, scales or not.
That's a great point. I hope this release is a success so that Spyderco might consider being more open to releasing new scale material.
semfi1345

Post by semfi1345 »

Concerning the scales, I really wish U.S. manufacturers would look to the U.S. Timber industry. Rosewood is a broad statement of foreign products so no one really knows what tree species it really came from or from what country. The U.S. contains the most desired hardwood timber species on the planet. "Rosewood" is a misnomer and doesn't compare to the structural properties of Southern red oak or black walnut. With that being said, I still got a pre-order in. Will most likely have some U.S. sourced wood scales made though.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 pm
I hope this release is a success so that Spyderco might consider being more open to releasing new scale material.
Considering that the pre-order has already been closed (for now, it says 'additional quantities available soon'), I'd consider it more likely than not that these will be popular.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 pm
Regardless what folks think of the scales, which I'm kind of surprised at what I'm reading so far...it's nice to see something different than FRN or G10! That price for a Shaman with Rex45 is well worth it, scales or not.
Agree 100%!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
KnifeCenter

Post by KnifeCenter »

Hello Sal, Kristi, and Spyderco forumites!

Just thought I'd jump in here to offer some clarity on our Rex45 Shaman exclusive release. We decided to close the pre-order earlier today, to ensure that everyone who already ordered one will get one. We're excepting to receive the knives soon, and when we do we'll announce a drop date and put the remaining stock up for sale on a first-come-first-served basis.

We think this is the best way to give everyone a reasonable chance to buy one of these in-demand knives.

Seth V - KnifeCenter
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

semfi1345 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm
Concerning the scales, I really wish U.S. manufacturers would look to the U.S. Timber industry. Rosewood is a broad statement of foreign products so no one really knows what tree species it really came from or from what country. The U.S. contains the most desired hardwood timber species on the planet. "Rosewood" is a misnomer and doesn't compare to the structural properties of Southern red oak or black walnut. With that being said, I still got a pre-order in. Will most likely have some U.S. sourced wood scales made though.
Walnut has been used as knife handles since forever - would love to see that