Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Black S90V Delica with blue liners - KW exclusive

Post by steelcity16 »

The description was better than the actual product it seems. Blue stainless liners and backspacer might be been cool. Especially PVD blue. Imagine a White FRN Delica with Blue PVD stainless liners and a Blue PVD stainless lockbar?? Now THAT would be cool! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Can the blade be swapped over to a standard FRN model? I might be interested in assembling a zome s90v...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sure, bring the matching lockbar with it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Alfie1

Post by Alfie1 »

Must be decent to be enamored with a Spyderco that gets every one of the runs
SG89

Post by SG89 »

antnap124 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am
Is this forum biased? How come my review of this knife was not approved was it because I said something bad about the downturn of quality of our coveted brand?
We can see your review above did you try and post another one?
Spydergirl88
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

antnap124 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am
Is this forum biased? How come my review of this knife was not approved was it because I said something bad about the downturn of quality of our coveted brand?
Hi, antnap124:
Welcome to our forum. If you stick around you'll find that our forum is not biased and we are open to all feedback - the good and the bad. Your post wasn't immediately approved because we have responsibilities beyond the forum. We don't just wait for posts to approve, but we do approve them as quickly as possible.

Feel free to review some of the posts here, viewforum.php?f=11. There a wealth of information about the forum, how it works, and why we have established protocols for new members.

You still have a pending post in Off-Topic that I'll approve next, but I believe this reply answers your questions. I would only add, that should you start reading through our forum, you'll find a wealth of information and a great community of people. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

antnap124 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 am
Terrible purchase, knife came with a large unremovable black stain on the blade like another purchaser in this thread, however knifeworks wants me to spend $15 for returning shipping lmao never using that site ever again. They couldn't even give me $20 store credit for the trouble im going through or offer to pay for shipping. Ridiculous and terrible customer service. BUYER BEWARE
Hi, antnap124:
I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Please reach out to our Warranty & Repair Department for assistance. You'll find all of the information that you need here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

You'll be in great hands with our crew.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Depending on how bad the black stain is, you could possibly remove it with metal polish and a little rubbing.

Some people think knives aren't supposed to be super pretty and that they are meant to be beaten up some, which is mostly true because of what they are meant to do.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JMM

Post by JMM »

I had a little bit of the discolouration/darkness on the tang of mine, it took a damp paper-towel, a tiny bit of bar-keepers-friend, and 30 seconds of rubbing to remove it. Not that this is awesome & desirable, but was a really minor issue on an otherwise perfectly executed delica, which was incidently the sharpest delica I've ever received....
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

antnap124 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm
Sorry if my first post came off as angry, I was just very disappointed with knifeworks, not spyderco themselves. The stain on the blade was not the only problem, the knife also came with a bunch of scratches and a chip already on the blade! It was if it was used or something but after reading the other bad experiences in this thread and also the deceptive description I was hasty to post and came across as a a**hole! sorry guys!
Did they offer to ship a replacement.I often get them to look it over before shipping.

I would like to see a picture of the stain and the damage.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can't believe KnifeWorks would send something in that condition. I've purchased through them 5 times now and have never had an issue. Even a couple months ago when they magically came across some of their previously sold out Military Exclusives in 204P, I took the chance on it even though I was worried it may have been a return...knife showed up as good as new as far as my eye could tell!

I'd also like to see photos of the scratches and chip.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I guess anything's possible but I can almost guarantee that the knife didn't come from Spyderco with scratches and a chip on the blade
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm
I guess anything's possible but I can almost guarantee that the knife didn't come from Spyderco with scratches and a chip on the blade

Well, to be fair you wouldn't expect it to come from Spyderco with large black stains on the blade either but here we are....

Luckily my issue was only the staining, I had no chips or scratches.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

antnap124 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:58 pm
Knife is being returned - sent it out today but here are some pics. I had to crop to upload and the others I can't upload no matter what I do, not sure why, but the other side of the blade had worse scratches and the stain is worse in person.
Black stains I can deal with. Scratches I can deal with.

But the sharpening job done at the heel of that blade is atrocious. Just like the ones I got.

Look how much steel has been removed, for what exactly? There’s literally almost 1/16 of steel just sharpened away from the factory there. It takes me about a year of use and sharpening to pull away 1/16 of material.

I hate when my blades come to me with useful life already sharpened out of them.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.The only option that I see is to return the knife to manufacture.

Spyderco knives are always in impeccable condition.With this run,it seems that there are several similar cases and this is not an isolated problem.Not sure how this slipped pass QC.
JMM

Post by JMM »

In comparing my s90v blade to a cruwear & vg10 delica that I have on hand, they all look to be about the same, not quite as pronounced as the pic from above but semi-close.... can you offer a pic of what you would expect a proper delica blade to look like as a baseline? I thought my (s90v) blade was factory sharpened better than any Delica I've ever seen/owned... I will admit the whole scale/liner/configuration was less than overwhelming. In truth, I took the frn components from a basic brown delica (my first actually) and swapped them, so now my s90v blade (+deep carry clip) is housed in a very unassuming generic brown delica handle and honestly, I think it looks just fine. My thin blue line exclusive now has a vg10 blade in it and it lives in my tertiary spyderpac. ;)

JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:17 pm
So just as an FYI for everyone the blue lining is just painted on. I scraped part of mine off.

So if you're not a fan of the blue on the inside you could just scratch it off and have black FRN scales.
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:43 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:24 pm
Painted? That is kinda.....eh? I was under impression that the blue is a actual liner (thin G10, another FRN....) and I was very surprised that they have technology to do it with FRN scales....
Nope. It's just an applied coating of some type. You can flake it off with your finger nail if you try.

I am not that stoked about it either, but I like the knife enough to look past it. I love the delica and I love s90v for a user. Much prefer it over 110v because it holds an edge almost as long but takes less time to sharpen.

Wish I wasn't painted like that, though. :o
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:55 pm
After seeing the real picture from Knifeworks I was tempted to say that the blue on the interior simply looked like paint... but never would have expected it to actually be the case here! :eek:

Even though I didn't buy one (glad I didn't now), I would have preferred it just be left bare black FRN opposed to being half assed with paint... :rolleyes:

I genuinely hope we don't see another gimmick like this again. :o
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Yeah....I'm not too stoked on it. I'm glad I got a couple of them still, but I really hope this is a one and done type of deal. I would have preferred just straight black, plain old FRN also.

The blue back spacer does appear to be blue FRN. That's a plus, I guess.

This is rather disappointing. I WAS looking forward to picking up this exclusive, but after seeing how cheap and gimmicky this is, think I’ll pass. What a shame, this throws a bit of a wrench in my plan of purchasing all Delica 4 FRN Exclusives/Sprints :mad: :eek:
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Why the Delica?? That's an extremely daunting task for a knife that has been surpassed by many within it's price range these days. Do you know how many variations there are of the Delica over the years?? I'm sorry, but that's a crazy dream man! Hope you have A LOT of disposable income.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:17 pm
Why the Delica?? That's an extremely daunting task for a knife that has been surpassed by many within it's price range these days. Do you know how many variations there are of the Delica over the years?? I'm sorry, but that's a crazy dream man! Hope you have A LOT of disposable income.
How much do you think it would cost him? 3k to get them all? Talking secondary market inflated prices here.
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:17 pm
How much do you think it would cost him? 3k to get them all? Talking secondary market inflated prices here.
I honestly have no idea, but assuming pretty much all of the models would come from the secondary market, it would definitely be up there! Just seems a little late to get into the Delica game now, as it's been around for so long and so many variations are going to be extremely inflated prices.

I'd take your word for it. You're guessing around $3,000?

-Rick