KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

REX45 killed it for me. Rust... No thank you very much.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am
Preordered. I’m not a fan of wood scales, but the rex45 sold it for me. I’ll try it with the scales first, and if I don’t like them, I’ll look for some aftermarket titanium or micarta.

I am the opposite ;) :

Love wood scales, but am totally fine with S30V (like the base model has), wouldn't need "upgraded" / different steel .

If I had a (base model) Shaman, I'd happily buy those wood scales from you.
But I don't have one (yet..?? :rolleyes: )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd buy it for the scales, but not for the steel. Cruwear is about as far down as I go these days for minimum stain resistance.

Good to see another exclusive, though. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

That looks great. Will be popular.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I let go of the St Nick's version but I went ahead and pre ordered this one. I love the steel and I really like the look but I don't have a lot of experience with wood scales. How is the grip if it gets wet? Does the stabilized wood perform similar to Micarta?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 am
I let go of the St Nick's version but I went ahead and pre ordered this one. I love the steel and I really like the look but I don't have a lot of experience with wood scales. How is the grip if it gets wet? Does the stabilized wood perform similar to Micarta?
I have the Delica in the Pakkawood version, it is a little slicker than I'd prefer. I think with the Shaman, if of similar slickness to Pakkawood it wouldn't be as bad since the Shaman definitely fills out the hand better than a Delica. The contoured scales will probably help a little as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 am
Man I wish they would do some other Golden models. I'd love a Native or a Para 3 in Rosewood.
This.

Instead they ran the cruwear native with smooth g10... What exactly was the point of that? Looks like any other native but it's less grippy, Awesome! At least with the rosewood you're trading some grip for some beautiful scales.
FK

Post by FK »

Really like REX45 but with Pack of Wood laminated scales,,,, no thank you.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Now, with KC will pre order mean you'll actually get one?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 am
Really like REX45 but with Pack of Wood laminared scales,,,, no thank you.

Regards,
FK
The scales are solid rosewood, they're not laminated. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One intriguing thing here is:

As said already, I personally am totally fine with S30V, would not need any other steel (but don´t MIND another steel either)
But the Shaman is a knife special enough that I´d consider giving it some custom scales (wood or Micarta)

Now THIS model already gives you "custom scales", most likely in perfect fit and finish, and actually for less money than one would pay for the base S30V model PLUS custom scales... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 am
Now, with KC will pre order mean you'll actually get one?
Since this is their own exclusive, they know for certain how many they ordered. Now, they could oversell still, I guess, with the intention of doing another run. Or this run could arrive in smaller batches. But either way, I'm assuming if you pre-order you'll get one eventually.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 am
One intriguing thing here is:

As said already, I personally am totally fine with S30V, would not need any other steel (but don´t MIND another steel either)
But the Shaman is a knife special enough that I´d consider giving it some custom scales (wood or Micarta)

Now THIS model already gives you "custom scales", most likely in perfect fit and finish, and actually for less money than one would pay for the base S30V model PLUS custom scales... :rolleyes:
If you have enjoyed Hap40, you would most-likely enjoy Rex45 even more. The characteristics of the two steels are the same, but amplified a bit on Rex45. This combined with your interest in the scales, might make it a great choice for you.

I'm waiting for a Rex45 sprint Manix 2 or a Rosewood and Rex45 Manix 2, since the CBBL is a better lock for me.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am
Preordered. I’m not a fan of wood scales, but the rex45 sold it for me. I’ll try it with the scales first, and if I don’t like them, I’ll look for some aftermarket titanium or micarta.
Pakkawood is to wood what Micarta is to cloth. All the fibers are pretty much full of resin.
FK

Post by FK »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:25 am
FK wrote:

Regards,
FK
We will see if it is solid rosewood which is very restricted to import and trade, requiring CITES documentation and other types of permits or the same old Pakawood with dyed laminated mystery wood, labeled "Rosewood" due to its color.
Only musical instruments are exempt from CITES restrictions on transportation of rosewood.

Regards,
FK
FK

Post by FK »

FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am
Mushroom wrote:
FK wrote:

Regards,
FK

We will see if it is solid rosewood which is very restricted to import and trade, requiring CITES documentation and other types of permits or the same old Pakawood with dyed laminated mystery wood, labeled "Rosewood" due to its color.
Only musical instruments are exempt from CITES restrictions on transportation of rosewood.

Pakawood is a good knife scale material, impregnated with resins it is tough and durable less likely to chip or split compared to solid wood. My problem is that it is can be ugly in appearance and depends upon the base material laminates. I have some older Marbles fixed blades with Game Getter full shaped handles made of imitation cocobolo laminated that are rather nice, fit the hand comfortably.

Regards,
FK
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

FK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am
FK wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
FK wrote:

Regards,
FK

Pakawood is a good knife scale material, impregnated with resins it is tough and durable less likely to chip or split compared to solid wood. My problem is that it is can be ugly in appearance and depends upon the base material laminates. I have some older Marbles fixed blades with Game Getter full shaped handles made of imitation cocobolo laminated that are rather nice, fit the hand comfortably.

Regards,
FK
I really like the pakkawood on the delica I have, and KC goes into a lot of detail about what it is in their online descriptions. But on this Shaman, it only says the scales are "3D machined from beautiful rosewood." Doesn't sound like this one is pakkawood, or another laminate.
- Julia

BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am
FK wrote:
FK wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Regards,
FK
I really like the pakkawood on the delica I have, and KC goes into a lot of detail about what it is in their online descriptions. But on this Shaman, it only says the scales are "3D machined from beautiful rosewood." Doesn't sound like this one is pakkawood, or another laminate.
Looking at the pictures from Knife Center, the edge of the handle looks like a laminate rather than a solid piece of wood.

buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Welp preordered one, I figured my first shaman might as well be a special one. Hope it goes through lol
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BigGrove wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am
FK wrote:
FK wrote:

Regards,
FK
Looking at the pictures from Knife Center, the edge of the handle looks like a laminate rather than a solid piece of wood.

Well, a rosewood laminate would be fine with me if that's what it ends up being. More durable, won't warp or crack if you get it wet, etc. I just wonder why they don't mention that in thd description, when they use it as a selling point for the pakkawood ones.
- Julia