HRC Database

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Re: HRC Database

Post by SteveMidwest »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:38 am
I'd be super curious to know what the PD#1 Mules hrc would come in at. I wonder how close to the cpm-cruwear mule it would be ;)

I keep a list Larry, of all of the testing I have done, on my knives.
Here are a few excerpts >

PD#1 Mule - 63 HRC
Cruwear Mule - 62 HRC
Cruwear PM 2 - 62 HRC
Cruwear Para 3 - 61.7

Which has me scratching my head. I must not have tested any of my Manix 2 knives in Cruwear yet? I find that odd. Though I don't test all of my knives. The oldest one of those, could be about 5 or 6 years old now?
I have also not yet tested my Shaman Cruwear Micarta. :spyder:
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:38 am
I'd be super curious to know what the PD#1 Mules hrc would come in at. I wonder how close to the cpm-cruwear mule it would be ;)

I keep a list Larry, of all of the testing I have done, on my knives.
Here are a few excerpts >

PD#1 Mule - 63 HRC
Cruwear Mule - 62 HRC
Cruwear PM 2 - 62 HRC
Cruwear Para 3 - 61.7

Which has me scratching my head. I must not have tested any of my Manix 2 knives in Cruwear yet? I find that odd. Though I don't test all of my knives. The oldest one of those, could be about 5 or 6 years old now?
I have also not yet tested my Shaman Cruwear Micarta. :spyder:
Thank you Steve for taking the time to look that up! Very respectful number, I have four or five I use and haven't had any problem keeping them sharp and they stay that way for a good while. Surprised they still have them left. If I get a chance I'll get a couple more before they're all gone.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd be interested in seeing more hardness numbers with regard to H-1.

I have a very hard time believing that the edge is as hard as Maxamet (65 HRC +). I'd like to see some more independent hardness testing done.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:34 pm
I'd be interested in seeing more hardness numbers with regard to H-1.

I have a very hard time believing that the edge is as hard as Maxamet (65 HRC +). I'd like to see some more independent hardness testing done.

Don't know how I forgot Larrin's excellent article on H-1. In the article he had a Spyderco Salt measured and found it to vary from about 55-57 HRC. Might want to add that to the list.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

In regards to the H-1 numbers, I would be sceptical if they hadn't come from Sal and Spyderco. I trust their numbers.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm
In regards to the H-1 numbers, I would be sceptical if they hadn't come from Sal and Spyderco. I trust their numbers.
As I understand it, those numbers didn't originate with Spyderco but were from a third party tester. I'll try to find Sal's quote indicating that. In any event I think Larrin's numbers are just as valid.

I'm no metallurgist but I do use my knives, and H-1 in my experience just does not behave like a 65+ HRC steel.
- Connor

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Spyderco Manix 2 Foliage Green CTS-XHP C101GFGXHPP2 (Date Code 'CJ' - March 2010) - 62 HRC :spyder:

Spyderco Manix 2 Earth Brown DLC M390 C101GPBNBK2 (Date Code 'JS' - Oct. 2019) - 61 HRC / 61.8 HRC :spyder:

:D
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:30 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm
As I understand it, those numbers didn't originate with Spyderco but were from a third party tester. I'll try to find Sal's quote indicating that. In any event I think Larrin's numbers are just as valid.

I'm no metallurgist but I do use my knives, and H-1 in my experience just does not behave like a 65+ HRC steel.
From memory they were from Crucible, and an important distinction to make is they were microhardness tests, so presumably not Rockwell C tests. I'm no expert on steel hardness tests, but they may have been Knoop tests.

Knifegrinders in New South Wales, Australia did some interesting microhardness testing of burrs in cross section, and found that the root of a burr can run a bit harder than the nominal blade hardness, presumably from work hardening on a very small scale.

I wonder if a similar effect may be at work, right near the apex of H1, given its propensity to burr very easily.

In any case when Sandvik did their RC test they actually found a reduction in hardness near the edge. I believe that was on a PE H1 knife. I recall that maybe Larrin was going to look into hardness measurements for SE H1 some time in the future?

In any case, I agree with Connor - I'm not saying SE H1 isn't good stuff, but none of my SE H1 knives feel anything like a 65-66 HRC knife on the stones.
Last edited by Cambertree on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd be curious if some kind of scratch test could be done with an object if similar hardness.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 am
I'd be curious if some kind of scratch test could be done with an object if similar hardness.
Nope
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 am
Nope
SE H1 wont scratch 68? Any idea what it will?

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Spyderco Shaman CPM-REX 45 Satin, Rosewood Dymondwood.
Knife Center Exclusive - C229RWDP :spyder:

Date Code KS (November 2019)

Two pokes, on one blade > 67.2 HRC and 67.0 HRC (For the Win! :D )

JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:35 pm
Spyderco Manix 2 Foliage Green CTS-XHP C101GFGXHPP2 (Date Code 'CJ' - March 2010) - 62 HRC :spyder:

Spyderco Manix 2 Earth Brown DLC M390 C101GPBNBK2 (Date Code 'JS' - Oct. 2019) - 61 HRC / 61.8 HRC :spyder:

Does anyone recall or know the #'s on the KnifeCenter LW Manix2 (brown) XHP ?

I seem to recall seeing it somewhere and my memory wants to say 63.1 or 63.2, but I don't trust my memory..... ;)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:34 pm
Spyderco Shaman CPM-REX 45 Satin, Rosewood Dymondwood.
Knife Center Exclusive - C229RWDP :spyder:

Date Code KS (November 2019)

Two pokes, on one blade > 67.2 HRC and 67.0 HRC (For the Win! :D )

Sweet!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Im so sorry guys. I swear I will update the list one of theses days here. Just so busy lately.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:13 pm
Im so sorry guys. I swear I will update the list one of theses days here. Just so busy lately.
C'mon Matt!! I can't believe you're letting your life get in the way of keeping the HRC Database up to date! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:28 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:13 pm
C'mon Matt!! I can't believe you're letting your life get in the way of keeping the HRC Database up to date! :D
Need to get my priorities straight😁

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:

I seem to recall seeing it somewhere and my memory wants to say 63.1 or 63.2, but I don't trust my memory..... ;)

I, do not recall. I did go look at my XHP LW, right after reading your comment. I see no divots on it, so I must not have tested mine.
I do know a XHP Mule tested at 60, and a FRN Chaparral in XHP, tested 62.

Cold Steel, historically tested 62 on average, with their XHP. Before the S35VN switch of course.

So take this all as you will. My guess would be, that the XHP LW is probably around a 61. :spyder:
JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:

I, do not recall. I did go look at my XHP LW, right after reading your comment. I see no divots on it, so I must not have tested mine.
I do know a XHP Mule tested at 60, and a FRN Chaparral in XHP, tested 62.

Cold Steel, historically tested 62 on average, with their XHP. Before the S35VN switch of course.

So take this all as you will. My guess would be, that the XHP LW is probably around a 61. :spyder:
Hmmmm... first of all, thank you for checking, while I do not recall what the numbers were, I'm 99% certain that they were higher than the G10 Manix2 w/XHP from around decade ago. The only reason I say that is when I was looking around at the time (Christmas time last year) for an XHP Manix2, I made a mental note of the fact that the aforementioned LW Manix2 had a higher HRC and that I was considering making a Franken-Spydie to get the best XHP possible... then I think I saw something shiny or a squirrel ran by and I moved onto something else. I will keep digging and if I come across it I will post it up with source information.

Cheers,

John
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Someone with the new PM2 in 10v, if they have the means, can they post some hardness measurements? Thanks!