Sharpmaker - Profile ZT 0920

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
90grains

Sharpmaker - Profile ZT 0920

Post by 90grains »

I purchased the Sharpmaker to touch up a ZT 0920, which is CPM-20CV and though it worked I could never get an edge even close to as sharp as my new PM2. The 0920 has a slight recurve so I have used the edges of the rods

Looking closely it appears the 0920 has a 22 degree +/- at least quite a bit over 20 degrees and it needs to have the edge re-profiled to 20 degrees. I just ordered the diamond coarse rods to be able to take enough metal off to get the job done.

Any advice?
Wartstein

Re: Sharpmaker - Profile ZT 0920

Post by Wartstein »

90grains wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:28 am
I purchased the Sharpmaker to touch up a ZT 0920, which is CPM-20CV and though it worked I could never get an edge even close to as sharp as my new PM2. The 0920 has a slight recurve so I have used the edges of the rods

Looking closely it appears the 0920 has a 22 degree +/- at least quite a bit over 20 degrees and it needs to have the edge re-profiled to 20 degrees. I just ordered the diamond coarse rods to be able to take enough metal off to get the job done.

Any advice?

Apply less pressure on the diamond (or CBN) rods than you might think is necessary!! Very little pressure in fact.

For just reprofiling (before you hit the actual bevel) you obviously don't have to worry about forming of a burr and can work on one side of the blade for a longer time (even in circular, not only down or up and down motions) if you still manage to keep the angle.

Using a aharpie to check where you hit the edge is always a good idea.. /

Orhers will certainly know a lot more than me!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup. Paint the edge with a sharpie and go to town. You can work once side at a time. I’ve reprofiled s90v with the CBN rods. Use light pressure... in fact no pressure. Just enough to keep the blade from bouncing off the rods.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Also I would use the flats of the diamond rods rather than the points. The rods are so narrow that the flats should work just fine even on a recurve.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Read my post here I just posted yesterday about my "new" 0470

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66718&start=1840
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The 0920 is a perfect candidate for the Sharpmaker. The recurve means you have less sharpening options for sure. Others have offered sound advice. Bench stones always remove more metal and faster, but in this case, it's not an option.

This just makes me think; I would love to see Sal or Eric design a knife for ZT. Emerson has had their collaborations with ZT, so why not Sal or Eric? It might just convert some hardcore ZT fans to Spyderco fans. A P4 flipper in K390, with titanium scales, would break the internet.

On second thought, the Para 3 in a TI flipper form, would break the internet. The P4 is just my own desire. :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm
The 0920 is a perfect candidate for the Sharpmaker. The recurve means you have less sharpening options for sure. Others have offered sound advice. Bench stones always remove more metal and faster, but in this case, it's not an option.

This just makes me think; I would love to see Sal or Eric design a knife for ZT. Emerson has had their collaborations with ZT, so why not Sal or Eric? It might just convert some hardcore ZT fans to Spyderco fans. A P4 flipper in K390, with titanium scales, would break the internet.

On second thought, the Para 3 in a TI flipper form, would break the internet. The P4 is just my own desire. :D
Isn't that pretty much a Domino?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

a ZT 0920 with a compression lock would be very, very nice. I've handled a 0920 that had been modded to add a spydiehole, and it's quite nice.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I use my diamond rods all the time to reprofile blades. 8cr13mov, m390, 20cv...none of it stands a chance. Some take longer than others but stay consistent, take breaks if need be, and you'll be done before you know it. Just watch the pressure! You don't need a whole lot, and you can speed up the process by going down and up.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:11 am
Albatross wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Isn't that pretty much a Domino?
There are similarities for sure, but aren't the blade and handle a bit different? Besides, a ZT/Spyderco collaboration, would most-likely be a completely new model, but a Para 3 flipper would sell a ton just because it's a Para 3.