Opinions on the combo edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Opinions on the combo edge

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Combo blades are some of the best I own. I have a combo Stretch with Stainless and crayon slabs and it is a pleasure to use, I also have a Military with a combo edge and it is superb. I would however like to see serrated edges in different steels like Cruwear. Today I am carrying a fully serrated Paramilitary 2 after carrying a fully serrated Para3 yesterday and oddly enough the Para3 is the better cutter and both a practically brand new. Both are S30V.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

thanks for the input everyone, thanks for your time does anyone have a pic of how the black coating on a combo edge holds up ( thinking endura / delica)
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

That biggest problem the CE has is it is not available in H1.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I had a thread I started on the Combo Edge about a year or so ago and there were some very interesting comments on that thread. I actually found more people that gave a "thumbs up" on the combo edge than those who didn't like combo edges for what ever reason. For an EDC (every day carry) I could easily make the case that it would be perfect for most "non-knife" people who need a pocket knife.

I think it's fair to say that most of us who participate on any of these knife related forums tend to be fanatical about certain types of knives. The combo edge I do feel gets a bad rap because of the $5 cheapie blades you get a pawn shops, bait & tackle shops and convenience stores>> all of those along with most of your knock offs, counterfeits and Rip-Mart specials all tend to be combo edges. And for those reasons there are a lot of people that will steer clear of them.

But to this very day I would love to have a combo edge with premium blade steel and high quality construction. That one inch of serrations does come in very handy at times. And again I would only want a combo edge in a longer blade ( 3.5 inches or longer).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and I think my only real problem with it is simply that I don't find that I need PE that much anymore so I honestly feel like it's a waste of serration space. After two solid years of carrying nothing but SE I just haven't had a need for more PE than the inch or so of edge that my SE knives have at the very tip of the blade. I haven't had any real world situations where having half the blade in PE would have been an advantage, and that's not to say those situations don't exist, I just don't seem to run into them in my daily (mostly work) needs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Several years back, I carried my combo-edge Endura 3 for a couple years, and it was actually a very good work knife. I felt that it was a perfect size for that edge type.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:27 am
Several years back, I carried my combo-edge Endura 3 for a couple years, and it was actually a very good work knife. I felt that it was a perfect size for that edge type.

Jim
I had one of those too Jim and to the best of my memory I believe mine was an ATS-55 Endura CE. I used it for a couple of years on landscaping jobs from about 2003 to 2005 and I think I gave that one to one of my nephews. The RENEGADE CE model I had was one I would really like to see brought back in a newer/better blade steel. A CE folder with a G-10 handle can be quite a good hard use folder>> again I would love to have a new one with new materials. But I wouldn't want it in anything smaller than an Endura model in CE
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I love a Combo Edge, and I wished the Caribbean came with one!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

It’s funny, my edc/work knives for almost 20 years were combo edges. I swore by them, it was the only thing I carried.

It wasn’t until I started visiting knife forums that I learned some people hated them.

The only knock on them I’ve found in my real world use was... I guess they’re a little more of a PITA to sharpen. More so on benchstones- On V-rod sharpeners & sharpmakers, less so.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

bigboned wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 am
thanks for the input everyone, thanks for your time does anyone have a pic of how the black coating on a combo edge holds up ( thinking endura / delica)
Here's a post I made on another thread, showing off my CE Delica. Admittedly, most of the wear near the edge came from me giving it a bit of a reprofile.
This one has been used quite a bit over the past couple years, and I don't find the shortness of the PE or the SE sections to be a problem.
StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 am
Lately, my CE Delica has been my primary carry knife, both for work and outside. Having used it so much for so long now, it's led to a bit of a dilemma whenever I start looking at something new. "Will it work better than the Delica? Will it allow me to do something that the Delica can't accomplish?" 99.9% of the time, it won't, and I find myself not going through with the purchase.

And because there should always be pics in threads like these:

Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I love the idea of CE. It just makes sense. However, in use, I find the transition between SE and PE to get in it's own way and can be a pain when cutting certain media. Of course, that can generally be remedied by being more careful and precise with technique. Will that stop me from ever buying another CE in the future? No, but my preference is still for dedicated PE and SE.

The last CE I purchased was the Native 5 lw. I was really impressed with it, except the CE ruined it for me. I thought I was getting the best of both worlds, but IMO, the cutting edge is too short for that knife to have an effective CE. I gave it to my wife about a year ago and I haven't heard any complaints :)
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm
bigboned wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 am
Here's a post I made on another thread, showing off my CE Delica. Admittedly, most of the wear near the edge came from me giving it a bit of a reprofile.
This one has been used quite a bit over the past couple years, and I don't find the shortness of the PE or the SE sections to be a problem.
StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 am
Lately, my CE Delica has been my primary carry knife, both for work and outside. Having used it so much for so long now, it's led to a bit of a dilemma whenever I start looking at something new. "Will it work better than the Delica? Will it allow me to do something that the Delica can't accomplish?" 99.9% of the time, it won't, and I find myself not going through with the purchase.

And because there should always be pics in threads like these:

Perfect Chris thanks for sharing, that’s exactly what I was looking for
Thankyou
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
JMM

Post by JMM »

Once upon a time, I thought them a silly idea, and I couldn't see a good reason why anyone would want a not quite useful plain edge knife & a not quite useful serrated edge knife, then my buddy showed me his new Endura black/back combo blade and I had a few minutes to play around with it, and I was sold! I had one OTW to me from BHQ that very same day.... I've redone the scales, put a deep carry clip on it, and it's a part of my EDC rotation -- I consider it an amazing medium/hard use folder and will never be dismissive of combo blades.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

bigboned wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 pm
Thankyou
No problem. The TiCn coating isn't quite as durable as DLC, but I think it's worn well for what I've put it through.

I have to admit that my fondness for the CE Delica has me looking at the Endura, just because if a little SE and PE are good, then more of both must be better, right?
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

The serrated Pacific Salt with its half an inch of plain edge at the tip is the perfect combo edge knife for me. If I need any more plain edge than that, it means I don't need serration at all.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
I love a Combo Edge, and I wished the Caribbean came with one!
There are just so many full sized models that would benefit if offered in Combo Edge. But again I personally prefer the Combo Edge to be on a blade at least 3.5 inches or longer. A blade as short as a Delica or Para3 to me would be way too short. Because by having a Combo Edge on a blade at least 3.5 inches or longer you get the full benefit of both edge types IMO.
FK

Post by FK »

I tried the CE years ago, it does not work for me. The SE portion is too short and it takes away from the PE portion close to the pivot. I carry two Spyderco knives, both a FFG blade, one CE and one PE are my preferred arrangement.

Regards,
FK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 am
I tried the CE years ago, it does not work for me. The SE portion is too short and it takes away from the PE portion close to the pivot. I carry two Spyderco knives, both a FFG blade, one CE and one PE are my preferred arrangement.

Regards,
FK
I'm in no way saying that they are for everybody. I wouldn't even say that Spyderedge/serrations are for everybody either. But for anyone who works around rope, twine or cordage of any type I truly believe they will find that a Combo Edge and a serrated edge can sure come in quite handy.

It's for sure that Combo Edges could be put in the category of "job specific" tools to a large degree. Myself I encounter a huge variety of cutting jobs and I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have SE or CE folders available to me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 am
The serrated Pacific Salt with its half an inch of plain edge at the tip is the perfect combo edge knife for me. If I need any more plain edge than that, it means I don't need serration at all.

Yeah basically this, with one exception.....

FK wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 am

Regards,
FK

There is the one place/task where SE just doesn't work for me, and that's if I need to carve something. If I need to carve a piece of wood, it happens right at the heel of the edge where I have max power, not at the tip of the blade. I've been saying for a few years now someone needs to make a CE with the SE section in the middle of the blade with about an inch or so of PE at either end. If I could only have one knife this would be the ideal setup for me, but since I rarely need to carve things I get by fine with full SE (well 90% SE since most are technically CE if you count the PE at the tip).

Last edited by Evil D on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 am
bigboned wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 pm
Thankyou
No problem. The TiCn coating isn't quite as durable as DLC, but I think it's worn well for what I've put it through.

I have to admit that my fondness for the CE Delica has me looking at the CE Endura, just because if a little SE and PE are good, then more of both must be better, right?
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN