Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Poll ended at Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Para 3
9%
Para 3 LW
15%
Manix 2
6%
Manix 2 LW
6%
Shaman
22%
UK Pen
23%
Lil Native
19%

Total votes: 257

ABX2011

Re: Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Post by ABX2011 »

I'll admit that I did not vote for the UKPK but I have to wonder what the results of a poll would be if it was UKPK vs. one other locking knife.
Let's say UKPK vs. Shaman or my preference the Lil' Native.
What would the results be if you had to choose between a locking knife and a non locking knife? Just something to think about.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:40 pm
I'll admit that I did not vote for the UKPK but I have to wonder what the results of a poll would be if it was UKPK vs. one other locking knife.
What would the results be if you had to choose between a locking knife and a non locking knife? Just something to think about.
I wouldn’t buy a modern non-locking knife, and I can’t see it being overly popular by a majority outside of the UK. Any of the locking versions would be much more widely accepted and purchased..,at least that’s my assumption. I get trying to include everyone and I like Brits, but I don’t think it would be a popular call amongst the masses on the forum.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Gamecock wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm
I wouldn’t buy a modern non-locking knife, and I can’t see it being overly popular by a majority outside of the UK. Any of the locking versions would be much more widely accepted and purchased..,at least that’s my assumption. I get trying to include everyone and I like Brits, but I don’t think it would be a popular call amongst the masses on the forum.
Have you ever handled a UKPK? I used to have the same mentality until the HH model came out. Saw all the hype around it on a thread here and decided to give it a try...it's now one of my favorite Spyderco knives out of the 20 that I have. It doesn't have a lock, but it's not like it's not secure. Much more secure than a SAK imo. You utilize the choil, which makes it pretty much impossible to close on your fingers. I think your assumption is pretty far off, there are many people outside of the Brits that enjoy this model and have voted for it as the forum knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

We've tried this poll in the past and it is impossible to get much consensus on a model. Let Sal choose and we will always get something interesting.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Have you ever handled a UKPK? I used to have the same mentality until the HH model came out. Saw all the hype around it on a thread here and decided to give it a try...it's now one of my favorite Spyderco knives out of the 20 that I have. It doesn't have a lock, but it's not like it's not secure. Much more secure than a SAK imo. You utilize the choil, which makes it pretty much impossible to close on your fingers. I think your assumption is pretty far off, there are many people outside of the Brits that enjoy this model and have voted for it as the forum knife.
I haven’t, but I would like to. I guess sales in the US would be a good overall gauge to how it compares to its brethren with locks for those who can choose. Does it sell well here?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Gamecock wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:55 pm
I haven’t, but I would like to. I guess sales in the US would be a good overall gauge to how it compares to its brethren with locks for those who can choose. Does it sell well here?
Good question. I really don't know but I imagine the poll results speak to the popularity. I still wonder if it would do as well in a head-to-head against a locking knife.

I have handled a UKPK. I gave one as a gift. Nice knife but I prefer locking knives.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

One more for the UKPK. More people in the world with strict knife laws should be able to enjoy a 2020 forum knife. :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ABX2011 wrote:
This is why first past the post voting (like we have in the US) is inferior to instant runoff (like they have in the UK). If by voting we ranked all possible choices, it would matter that I prefer the UKPK to the Shaman and perhaps the UKPK would be ahead now. As it happens, my two votes (Para 3 LW and Manix 2 LW) are now worthless.

For what it's worth, I'd vote UKPK over Shaman, and Lil' Native over UKPK.
Last edited by kennethsime on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Gamecock wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:55 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Every knife dealer sells this knife and not all ship overseas and some only a little. I thunk that means this knife sells quite well in the USA. I also note that most of its proponents are in the USA, also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Gamecock wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:
I have zero interest in a non locking knife. If I want a non locking knife, I'll put a $25 SAK in my pocket.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

UKPK & Lil Native for me. I was going to do the Para 3 or Para 3 LW but I don't need another Para anything
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:51 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
This is why first past the post voting (like we have in the US) is inferior to instant runoff (like they have in the UK). If by voting we ranked all possible choices, it would matter that I prefer the UKPK to the Shaman and perhaps the UKPK would be ahead now. As it happens, my two votes (Para 3 LW and Manix 2 LW) are now worthless.

For what it's worth, I'd vote UKPK over Shaman, and Lil' Native over UKPK.
We have first past the post, too. Not instant runoff.

I voted UKPK and Lil Native and would be happy with either.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm
We've tried this poll in the past and it is impossible to get much consensus on a model. Let Sal choose and we will always get something interesting.

… and that poll is way too limiting. Also, just some small etching would be nicer than large and overbearing. If I had to choose, hunter or OD green Delica wharncliffe, K390.
- best wishes, Jazz.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:17 am
We have first past the post, too. Not instant runoff.

I voted UKPK and Lil Native and would be happy with either.
Lol. Sorry, clearly I was misinformed. Edited original post.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 am
bdblue wrote:

… and that poll is way too limiting. Also, just some small etching would be nicer than large and overbearing. If I had to choose, hunter or OD green Delica wharncliffe, K390.
I'd be in for this.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
bdblue wrote:

If Seki knives would come into play, this (for a forum knife) would be my choice over all knives listed in the poll
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:16 am
Jazz wrote:
bdblue wrote:

If Seki knives would come into play, this (for a forum knife) would be my choice over all knives listed in the poll
Agreed. That knife would be a monster, perhaps even “the ultimate Delica”.