Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Poll ended at Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Para 3
9%
Para 3 LW
15%
Manix 2
6%
Manix 2 LW
6%
Shaman
22%
UK Pen
23%
Lil Native
19%

Total votes: 257

ABX2011

Re: Forum knife 2020 - model poll

Post by ABX2011 »

Good poll and I appreciate the effort. Still think the Chief should have been included.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Of my 2 choices I selected the Para 3 LW and the UKPK.

While a Shaman in some unique blade steel sounds great to some here, I think a UKPK Forum Knife would sell more. The Shaman would be $200+ easy. The UKPK would be less expensive and our members in countries with lock restrictions could get one. Most forum knives don't end up as daily users anyway. Spending a lot of money on a stout knife with fancy steel that's just edged jewelry or instagram bling is a waste.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 am
Good poll and I appreciate the effort. Still think the Chief should have been included.
+1 great knife deserves a different steel. Cruwear.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I voted for the Para 3 LW and Lil' Native, since those are the two that most interest me. When I cast my vote, I wasn't thinking about the lower cost (assuming the same handle and blade material across all models) and wider legality of the UKPK. I'd happily buy a forum version of the UKPK, so my vote could be added to that option.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I am biased since I love the ukpk. Perhaps it is time for a wharncliffe ukpk. How about in k390?
Would satisfy those looking for: wharncliffe, non-locking, awesome steel, relatively affordable.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Just curious, for all those who voted for the Shaman what steel/scale combo were y’all wanting?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm
Just curious, for all those who voted for the Shaman what steel/scale combo were y’all wanting?

CPM 154 would be nice.

Don't care about the scales.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Are Taichung knives an option?

I know Sal has hinted at possibly different blade steels/colors for the Sage in the future- this could be a cool jump off for said variations of the Sage.

I could see a Sage 5/LW forum knife being well received. A Sage 3 would be really cool as well.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm
Carbon fiber is cool because my mountain bike is all carbon, so I tend to buy things that match. But the micarta has a totally old-school look. Between the two, I think my nod goes to the micarta.

As for steel, K390 gets me most excited, and then Cru-Wear.

But if it's only offered in a right-handed version, then fuhgeddaboudit.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I voted Para 3 LW and Manix 2 LW, both knives I'd like to try and would serve my EDC well. Also both pretty affordable. I'd also be happy with the UKPK or Lil' Native.

The Shaman is the only one I might not go for.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

UKPK is my preferred option.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I fear the Shaman is much to expensive for everyone who wants one to get one.

I also fear the blade on the Shaman would disclude a lot of our fellow forum members who live in areas with restrictions on length (and locking knives for that matter).

For that reason, I chose the UKPK (and because of the fact the UKPK is a fantastic knife).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 am
I fear the Shaman is much to expensive for everyone who wants one to get one.

I also fear the blade on the Shaman would disclude a lot of our fellow forum members who live in areas with restrictions on length (and locking knives for that matter).

For that reason, I chose the UKPK (and because of the fact the UKPK is a fantastic knife).

Generally I am all for a forum knife that can be carried by a vast majority of members legally of course!

Fortunately I live in a country where I can carry whatever I want.

BUT: I am not sure what I personally would want if this was NOT the case (so if laws would forbid let´s say locking folders or longer blades):
For a forum knife: Would I necessarely want a folder that´s absolutey LEGAL where I live,or still rather one I really like,despite I probably could not carry it legally outside my home? Additionally given, that a good part of forumites (not me though) would consider a forum knife rather a "safe queen" and not carry it a lot anyway?

As said, just a question. I really don´t know, cause I don´t live in a place where knife laws restrict what I may carry or not, so this has never been an issue for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)

Post by 017 »

Para 3 FRN. Standard BD1N blade probably makes the most sense.

But what colour? Pantone 19-4052 Classic Blue (Pantone's Colour of 2020)? I'd like a green, something like Aston Martin's racing green.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I'm also in for a k390 UKPK. G10 or micarta scales would be great but will also take FRN
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:18 pm
Man no love for the native chief I guess.
I voted Para 3 LW, but this is a good idea too.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Looks like Shaman took the lead :eek:

Just throwing this suggestion out there amongst the others. My wish is a UKPK with the fluted cf/s90v Native5 treatment as a forum knife. That would be epic. :D
araneae

Post by araneae »

In the past, Sal has said he likes to make forum knives something most people can afford and carry. At $202 in standard format, and 3.58" blade length, that is not the Shaman.

I tend not to get overly worked up about the forum knives. If they make one, I can afford it, I like the design, and it's a model I enjoy, I'll probably buy it. The last one wasn't of great interest, so I passed. It also tends to be pretty irrelevant what we ask for from what I remember...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:32 pm
In the past, Sal has said he likes to make forum knives something most people can afford and carry. At $202 in standard format, and 3.58" blade length, that is not the Shaman.

I tend not to get overly worked up about the forum knives. If they make one, I can afford it, I like the design, and it's a model I enjoy, I'll probably buy it. The last one wasn't of great interest, so I passed. It also tends to be pretty irrelevant what we ask for from what I remember...
I agree the Shaman will/would be a mistake, already variants of it in the pipeline as i understand + the fact you mention about price and "availability" in the sense of people who can legally buy, own and carry one.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Another vote for the UKPK (drop point) ... :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto