Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by kennethsime »

[duplicate]
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:55 am
Crazy Canuck wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:08 pm
Very cool, Mine came in yesterday. Looking forward to seeing your die-job, but don't think I have the stomach to try one myself. ;)
Here you go!

Album link with the full story and dye detaIls.

Beautiful Case knife by the way.

Very nice, and the a bit "hiighlighted" backspacer (to be seen in your imgur-story) makes it even nicer imho! :)

/ May I ask: How hard was it to reassemble the knife? Some people say this would be particullary tricky on a Stretch... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:55 am
Here you go!

Album link with the full story and dye detaIls.

Beautiful Case knife by the way.
Thank you. That came out really well. I enjoyed seeing some of the process.
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:21 am
Very nice, and the a bit "hiighlighted" backspacer (to be seen in your imgur-story) makes it even nicer imho! :)

/ May I ask: How hard was it to reassemble the knife? Some people say this would be particullary tricky on a Stretch... ?
Thanks Warstein!

Funny you should ask. I've disassembled FRN Spydercos quite a few times, but lately have been of the opinion that they're better-left assembled. In this case, I decided to go ahead because of everyone's comments that the dye job would come out much better.

The first issue was getting the back/lock spring back into the backspacer; turns out to be a pretty tight fit. The second issue was that I forgot to install the second liner, which I only discovered when the clip screws wouldn't bite. Finally, getting the lock bar bolt receiver through both liners and the lock bar was particularly challenging; a third hand was very useful.

I'm sure in Seki they have an order of operations, and maybe a jig, that makes all this easier. One thing I can say for sure is don't over-tighten the screws. Getting the pivot tight while still having good centering and smooth action requires a certain finesse.

Also, quick shout out to the Wera Torx drivers; I've never used nicer drivers.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am
The first issue was getting the back/lock spring back into the backspacer; turns out to be a pretty tight fit. The second issue was that I forgot to install the second liner, which I only discovered when the clip screws wouldn't bite.
I laughted so hard when I read it on imgur :D and your comment FML really made my day! :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:23 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am
The first issue was getting the back/lock spring back into the backspacer; turns out to be a pretty tight fit. The second issue was that I forgot to install the second liner, which I only discovered when the clip screws wouldn't bite.
I laughted so hard when I read it on imgur :D and your comment FML really made my day! :D
I'm glad someone else can laugh at my stupidity as much as I can. :-)

Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Turned out very nice. Love that green. I have dyed about a dozen Spydies with nice results without removing the scales. Just remove the clip and dunk in the dye.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hobnob wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:23 am
Turned out very nice. Love that green. I have dyed about a dozen Spydies with nice results without removing the scales. Just remove the clip and dunk in the dye.
Does the dye soak into the hardware at all?

Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

The dye doesn't affect the hardware at all. It sure is a lot easier without removing the scales. And less time consuming.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Just be sure to dry it thoroughly, quickly after you’ve got the desired color shade.
I rusted hardware on a Caribbean when I lent mine to my mother in law for food prep. She destroyed that thing, lol... the edge was toast, and she didn’t (nor did I, for that matter) take any measures to dry it before it was put away. I didn’t notice any of it until the next day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joey wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:00 am
Just be sure to dry it thoroughly, quickly after you’ve got the desired color shade.
I rusted hardware on a Caribbean when I lent mine to my mother in law for food prep. She destroyed that thing, lol... the edge was toast, and she didn’t (nor did I, for that matter) take any measures to dry it before it was put away. I didn’t notice any of it until the next day.

Don´t have a Caribbean, but you rusted hardware on a Salt knife within a day?!?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:24 am
Don´t have a Caribbean, but you rusted hardware on a Salt knife within a day?!?
I suppose so :/ it may have been rusted before I got it(used). It may be that the previous owner cleaned any rust that was showing before selling it, and when the screws threads got wet again, some most rust accrued. Or some of the old rust “leaked” for lack of a better term.

Could be many things, but it seemingly rusted in one day in dry climate, after being left “wet”.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Hey gang, I have a question that I'm hoping the collective could answer... I was wondering if the FRN straight spine handle itself is the exact same as the standard Stretch2 FRN (v-toku2/zdp/etc) models... say, could one take the ZDP-189 version and swap blades with the straight spine version without an issue? I want to buy the straight spine, put it's blade in my green ZDP-189 handle, then put the ZDP-189 blade in a royal blue rit-dye'd handle of the Straight spine.... does that make sense? ;-) TIA!

(I'm trying to recreate the magic/looks of the Stretch1 ZDP-189 in Blue FRN, but with the handle of a stretch2, the Stretch1 does not fit my big paws nearly as well as the Stretch2 series)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:27 am
Hey gang, I have a question that I'm hoping the collective could answer... I was wondering if the FRN straight spine handle itself is the exact same as the standard Stretch2 FRN ....

From all I can see the actual handles (= FRN part) are exactly the same, so what you´re planning to do should work

What is different: The CHOIL is shorter on the straight spine Stretch, but JUST the blade part of the choil (which subsequently shortens the whole choil) - see pics below - straight spine Stretch 2 compared to "regular" Stretch 2

I personally absolutely love that shortened choil: Gives you about 0.12" (or 3mm) more cutting edge, makes the choil feel even better (more "finger hugging" and stabilizing the hand), puts your hand a bit closer to the edge in a regular grip, and imho just looks better proportioned...

Plus, the shortened choil of the straight spine Stretch is still wider than lets say on a PM2 anyway

Unfortunately I still don´t know if the shorter choil on the Straight Spine Stretch was intentionally planned like that, or just "by incidence"
Also, if coming batches of the regular Stretch 2 will also get that for me even improved design (shorter choil)- ?

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm not sure it was intentional design or just a difference in production batches, but in order to illustrate Warstein's point I annotated his image a bit.

Last edited by kennethsime on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMM

Post by JMM »

Awesome, it's going to be several weeks as I'm in the middle of a couple knife projects atm, but I promise to post pics of the process and the final results... :)

Cheers,

JMM
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:58 am
Awesome, it's going to be several weeks as I'm in the middle of a couple knife projects atm, but I promise to post pics of the process and the final results... :)

Cheers,

JMM
Awesome, I´d really like to see this! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To European forumites:

I am a bit surprised, cause in the US the Straight Spine Stretch seems to be having sold out pretty fast.
While here in Europe, the few dealers who already carry it (I am aware of two actually) still have it in stock, one of them for quite some time now.

I don´t want to exactly "advertise" this sprint run model ;), but still I´d strongly recommend looking into the straight spine Stretch! It´s really something special, and at least anyone who likes PM2 sized folders for EDC, should consider it imho.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote: To European forumites:

I am a bit surprised, cause in the US the Straight Spine Stretch seems to be having sold out pretty fast.
While here in Europe, the few dealers who already carry it (I am aware of two actually) still have it in stock, one of them for quite some time now.

I don´t want to exactly "advertise" this sprint run model ;), but still I´d strongly recommend looking into the straight spine Stretch! It´s really something special, and at least anyone who likes PM2 sized folders for EDC, should consider it imho.
Im suprised its been in stock as much as it has. Its in stock at several us websites too. There are some sprints/exclusives that hang around forever. There are some sprints/exclusives that you cant even hope to get ahold of and sell out in minutes. This one is inbetween. I think it will be a sleeper knife. One that was available and people passed on, then later on when you cant get them anymore people will have wished they had gotten one when they could.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 am
Wartstein wrote: To European forumites:

Im suprised its been in stock as much as it has. Its in stock at several us websites too. There are some sprints/exclusives that hang around forever. There are some sprints/exclusives that you cant even hope to get ahold of and sell out in minutes. This one is inbetween. I think it will be a sleeper knife. One that was available and people passed on, then later on when you cant get them anymore people will have wished they had gotten one when they could.
Did not know that even in the US the SS Stretch is still in stock... wonder why this is, given it´s such a great model in a size category many like...

For ME personally it´s almost perfect so I can only speculate, why the sales are not super fast:

1. Steel: I love VG10 for a general EDC knife, but some consider it "inferior"?
2. Color: I also really like the Ivory color, but it probably is not a color for everyone?... and the knife sure a bit "flashy" in almost-white and with a shiny clip
3. (1.+2.): So some people might hope and hold out for more steel- and color variants in the future?
4. Some might be used to and expect that a sprint run is about materials (mostly steel of course) and not blade shape?
5. Just unawareness of the knife: A straight spine Stretch has been discussed in theory for a long time as far as I know.
But when it really "came to life" it was pretty "out of the blue", not a lot rumors and anticipation beforehand.
So maybe many non-forum-people still simply don´t know about this sprint... ?
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.