Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Post by Wartstein »

... Meant to be just a fun little thread:

From time to time I still stumble across Spyderco knives I´ve never seen or heard of before.
Mostly those are "niche" knives, as in "very specialized designs, which will never be first choices for generall edc", but perhaps instead very good for specific tasks.

Just today this happened to me with the ROC (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C177G/938 pic below taken from the Spyderco homepage)

As said, not a design optimized for general edc at all, but very cool looking and perhaps quite good for example at cutting ("cleaving") stuff on a cutting board for a knife this size

Any "niche-", hardly known, or just lately discovered by you Spydercos you´d like to share? ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Re: Spyderco "niche" and/or hardly known knives

Post by JMM »

One of my all time favourite knives ever made by any company. The Spyderco Ulize, it is a cutting beast - 4.12 inch blade, and the ergos, while you might not necessarily think so from looking at it, are absolutely amazing! I think allot of people would fall in love instantly if they had the the opportunity to hold it for a tic...

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=777

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

You dont religiously look through the catalog every year like I do? The roc has been around for a few years.
No, I get what you are saying. I dont think there are many current models that most people on here dont know about. Although there are plenty of older models I dont know about.

I think the most niche knives are stuff like the snapit salt and dogtag folder/squarehead.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The ARK was designed for stabbin' fools in the shower.

That's pretty "niche", right?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 am

Yeah, but maybe just cause fools don't shower a lot... :p
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Apparently they do in the military. Gotta protect that booty!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Thought you were kidding at first... looked up the ARK just now and learned about the serious background of the knife (honestly had no idea what it was specifically designed for)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Thought you were kidding at first... looked up the ARK just now and learned about the serious background of the knife (honestly had no idea what it was specifically designed for)
It's a strange world we live in!

-Thomas Jefferson
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The Khukri is one that seems to have been dropped from collective knowledge pretty quickly. Part of the cursed foliage green group of models from the late 2000s, I think there were several "issues" that memory-holed the knife. As mentioned the handle color was a big one but price was as well, people also seemed to really dislike the plunge line aesthetic. It's a shame because the knife is one of the best small blade - big cutting ability models I've ever used. Sized like a delica but cut better than an endura.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=368

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am
The Khukri is one that seems to have been dropped from collective knowledge pretty quickly....

I think I'd particullary like the negative blade angle on this one for many tasks...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I love the Foliage Green of the Khukri, but can't get down with the blade design. The whole Ed Schemp Native Series was a big deal when I was first following Spyderco. While some of the designs are timeless, I can't say I miss this one. I'm happy with Spyderco's shift from offering so many crazy blade design collaborations towards offering more in-house designed knives. Sal & Eric are the best knife designers around in my book!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If it's "niche" you want, look up the Maddox. It doesn't get more niche than that, with the possible exception of the Whale Rescue blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am
If it's "niche" you want, look up the Maddox. It doesn't get more niche than that, with the possible exception of the Whale Rescue blade.

Did look it up (this thread is getting more and more interesting) - you´re right, REALLY "niche", but probably a great design for those who need it ("those with limited physical movement" (quote from the Spyderco page))

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=50
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 am
You dont religiously look through the catalog every year like I do? The roc has been around for a few years.
No, I get what you are saying. I dont think there are many current models that most people on here dont know about. Although there are plenty of older models I dont know about.

Actually I do look through the catalog from time to time, but probably not "religiously", but more "casually" ;)
And my memory is not the best, so I most likely forget rather soon again about some models of which I know I´´ll never buy them anyway...;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd say the Gunting, Massad Ayoob, P'Kal, Civilian, Matriarch and JaniSong qualify as niche models.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Sumdumguy wrote:

I knew That about the ARK, but your phrasing made me hear that line in Mr T's voice in my head. I legitimately laughed out loud. Well done.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I knew That about the ARK, but your phrasing made me hear that line in Mr T's voice in my head. I legitimately laughed out loud. Well done.
I exist for nothing more, sir.

-Thomas Jefferson
Monty

Post by Monty »

One of my favorite Spydercos that gets little attention is the Warrior. The Al Mar Warrior and Rekat Hobbit are some of my favorite designs.

I recently by chance discovered the Kumo. Probably was common knowledge to many but I had never heard of it. I've been collecting custom RJ Martin fixed blades for two decades so I'm going to add one of these to the collection in 2020.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Chinook 4 :confused:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Monty wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 pm
One of my favorite Spydercos that gets little attention is the Warrior. The Al Mar Warrior and Rekat Hobbit are some of my favorite designs.

I recently by chance discovered the Kumo. Probably was common knowledge to many but I had never heard of it. I've been collecting custom RJ Martin fixed blades for two decades so I'm going to add one of these to the collection in 2020.
The Kumo is a cool knife in all it's (relative) simplicity! I'm glad i got one
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.