Long Live The Kiwi!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Long Live The Kiwi!

Post by Sumdumguy »

Well the time is finally here, my new Kiwi has arrived and I am thrilled to bits!

Behold!
(Sorry for the crap photography.)

It's so nice to have one again, I sold my last one after not using it enough. This one will be seeing much more action!
It's condition is a bit worse than described, but aside from that little inconsistency I'm very happy. It's an incedible feeling knife, the inlay has a nice warmth to it. Much nicer than the solid SS version I had prior.

I'm probably going to have a leather slip made for it, as I can't find an old one anywhere. For now, it'll just get a pocket all to itself!

This may be the kick I need to try my hand at leatherworking. Now, if I could find the time!

I'll be picking up more of Kiwis as I come across them, they are just so nice. This one really tugged at my heartstrings with the AZ landscape! I'll treasure it.

To mark this glorious occasion, let's see some more!
How many pages of Kiwis can we produce?!

:spyder:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bradley

Re: Long Live The Kiwi!

Post by Bradley »

That is sweeeeet! Nice addition!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice lookin’ knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Thanks guys, I had forgotten how much I liked the Kiwi!

Next one on my list is the galaxy one. Eventually.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is next, if I can find one.

I may also have a special Kiwi commissioned, I have a lot of wood and stone blanks laying around that need to be used!

-Thomas Jefferson
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I sometimes regret gifting my original jigged bone Kiwi to a good friend. But it's among his favorite knives so I do enjoy knowing it's well loved.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If they made the Kiwi a SlipIt and did a run with a carbon steel and micarta I would have one yesterday!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nice catch on the David Yellowhorse "Night Eagle", Sumdumguy. Not many of those were made.

The Kiwi is one of my "top ten favorite" Spyderco models and the model I have the most versions of, both factory and custom. They are, IMHO, the epitome of functional jewelry and there's been one in my watch pocket nearly every day for the past 16 1/2 years.

Last edited by The Deacon on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think Paul wins ....
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:09 pm
Nice catch on the David Yellowhorse "Night Eagle", Sumdumguy. Not many of those were made.

The Kiwi is one of my "top ten favorite" Spyderco models and the model I have the most versions of, both factory and custom. They are, IMHO, the epitome of functional jewelry and there's been one in my watch pocket nearly every day for the past 16 1/2 years.

I was wondering when you'd weigh in and I completely agree with you. Specifically with the inlay, it is the greatest little thing ever. The SS I had initially was a bit too thin for me, but the inlay gives it just the right amount of flat real estate to open effortlessly.
The flat edge is dead simple, the sharpmaker whites had it screaming in seconds. But what was really impressive was how the tip penetrates anything it touches with a viciousness that, "impressive" doesn't adequately describe.

I may go so far as to say I prefer it to the Baby Horn(maybe tie). But one thing is for certain, I'm happy I overpayed for it. :p

It will definitely be a lifelong keeper.

Also;
WOW! I knew you had quite a few, but 78 is psych evaluation territory! I may have to confiscate some of them for the sake of your health. ;)

-Thomas Jefferson
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Those Kiwis are such cool knives, glad you like yours. Always wanted to get one but I just never got around to it. And yes, Deacon's collection is like the Platonic form of impressive lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Deacon just made me feel old..

Has it really been 16 1/2 years since the Kiwi came out?

And I always love seeing your epic Kiwi collection.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Stunning. Simply stunning.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Very nice. Wish I had taken advantage of these when they were readily available. I would love a nice sprint run in this older model Kiwi!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:08 pm
I was wondering when you'd weigh in and I completely agree with you. Specifically with the inlay, it is the greatest little thing ever. The SS I had initially was a bit too thin for me, but the inlay gives it just the right amount of flat real estate to open effortlessly.
The flat edge is dead simple, the sharpmaker whites had it screaming in seconds. But what was really impressive was how the tip penetrates anything it touches with a viciousness that, "impressive" doesn't adequately describe.

I may go so far as to say I prefer it to the Baby Horn(maybe tie). But one thing is for certain, I'm happy I overpayed for it. :p

Also;
WOW! I knew you had quite a few, but 78 is psych evaluation territory! I may have to confiscate some of them for the sake of your health. ;)

The bolstered version is a fair bit thicker than the all stainless, and many of the inlays offered provide at least some traction, so they are generally easier to open. As with any PE Wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blade, the Kiwi is definitely an easy knife to sharpen. Personally I prefer flat stones to the Sharpmaker, less danger of my rounding off the tip that way, but whatever works for you is ok.

No idea what you paid, so can't say if you overpaid, but the Night Eagles originally sold for around $400.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would love it if Spyderco would re-release the original Kiwi. Japan, Taiwan, or Golden, not China, however. Simple polished G10 would be fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Also;

The bolstered version is a fair bit thicker than the all stainless, and many of the inlays offered provide at least some traction, so they are generally easier to open. As with any PE Wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blade, the Kiwi is definitely an easy knife to sharpen. Personally I prefer flat stones to the Sharpmaker, less danger of my rounding off the tip that way, but whatever works for you is ok.

No idea what you paid, so can't say if you overpaid, but the Night Eagles originally sold for around $400.
Perhaps it wasn't an overpayment! Either way, I am super happy with it. I am going to try and get Mr. Yellowhorse to do a custom inlay for me on another knife. Such a fine knife!

I actually hold the triangles in my hand while sharpening little knives, so it's kinda like flats.
When I finally get this house done, I'm going to upgrade my whole knife setup and start experimenting with making blades. This forum has turned me into a crazy, frothing at the mouth, steel junkie and it just keeps getting worse... You guys should be ashamed!

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I really, really love the Yellowhorse spydercos. They are just beautiful works of art, every one. Someday I'd love to own one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am
I would love it if Spyderco would re-release the original Kiwi. Japan, Taiwan, or Golden, not China, however. Simple polished G10 would be fine.
Definitely agree!

I would only want this Japanese version, though. Trying to improve upon it isn't necessary.

-Thomas Jefferson
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I think we need a "Bring Back the [original] Kiwi" thread.