What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:31 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:09 pm
Bestech Swordfish D2
I have held a Swordfish in one hand and a 0452 in the other. While it is not a clone, they are way to similar for me. I have come close to buying the Swordfish many times. It really is decent quality for the price.
Yeah, I've had some very nice flippers and, for the money, nothing comes close to the Swordfish imo. ( heck, they prolly do, but I have limited experience in the $50 knife range )
My cousin has one as well, but in a different color and his is just exceptional as mine. A sign of good quality control too.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sorry guys, I meant to edit the above post, not quote it lol.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 am
Randall Model 14 Attack and 16 SP1

ImageRandall 14 and 16 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr
I gotta say Jim, that's a pair of Ace's.
Very nice indeed. I'll bet they feel awesome in hand too.
Btw, which do ya like a little better?

I like the Model 14 slightly better, the handle is bigger (Wider), fills my hand better, they both are balanced about the same, the blade is larger on the 14 while still being thin behind the edge. I like both of them, but the 14 is going to be the user. Both are heavier duty knives, but the 14 is much more so and it's obvious.

I doubt anyone would feel like they were under knifed with either one of them.

Both have very thick/wide full tangs, 1/4" blade stock.

The Model 14's blade stays thicker farther down the blade than the Model 16 SP1's blade that tapers sooner
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I like the Model 14 slightly better, the handle is bigger (Wider), fills my hand better, they both are balanced about the same, the blade is larger on the 14 while still being thin behind the edge. I like both of them, but the 14 is going to be the user. Both are heavier duty knives, but the 14 is much more so and it's obvious.

The Model 14's blade stays thicker farther down the blade than the Model 16 SP1's blade that tapers sooner
Dude, they're both Ace's liked I said but, I'd have to agree with ya Jim. I like the 14 just a hair better as well.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:02 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Dude, they're both Ace's liked I said but, I'd have to agree with ya Jim. I like the 14 just a hair better as well.

The Model 14 just screams hard use at you. :D :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It sure does!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My first ZT...the 0470, just showed up at my work. I like that it's not some huge, overly built model that I always hear about ZT. It's pretty slender, extremely light and very nice looking imo. The marbled CF inlay is stunning! I got it used, and it has a couple scratches on the bevel from some subpar sharpening attempt. Nothing some time on the Sharpmaker won't fix (it still cleanly cuts paper) Looks like the previous owner got a little overzealous with adding lube to the pivot, that looks like it's attracted quite a bit of dust. I'll be taking it apart when I get home and give it a proper cleaning. Action is pretty good, but I know it can be better after I clean it up. Very comfortable in hand. I think it will be a keeper. Retails at $260, got this one for $155...I feel pretty good about it :)

Resized_20200110_134235.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134214.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134306.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134329.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm
My first ZT...the 0470, just showed up at my work. I like that it's not some huge, overly built model that I always hear about ZT. It's pretty slender, extremely light and very nice looking imo. The marbled CF inlay is stunning! I got it used, and it has a couple scratches on the bevel from some subpar sharpening attempt. Nothing some time on the Sharpmaker won't fix (it still cleanly cuts paper) Looks like the previous owner got a little overzealous with adding lube to the pivot, that looks like it's attracted quite a bit of dust. I'll be taking it apart when I get home and give it a proper cleaning. Action is pretty good, but I know it can be better after I clean it up. Very comfortable in hand. I think it will be a keeper. Retails at $260, got this one for $155...I feel pretty good about it :)
Not my style, but then i don't really like flippers. I understand they are well made and i can see the attraction. Enjoy.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Man, ZT is an awesome knife. I've had many, and they ALL cut and sliced extremely well.
You did great and congratz!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks Paul, really looking forward to how it performs after a little TLC. So far it feels like a steal at that price! Found a tiny scratch at the butt of the knife near the lanyard hole and another tiny one on the pocket clip. $100 off for those minor blemishes, sign me up all day long! It reminds me of the WE Knives Wisp that I had for a while, just a little bigger and fills out the hand better. Guess I have a thing for this blade shape and knife style when it comes to non Spyderco knives. I bought a Gray/Black ZT hat last year, as I like the colors and fitted hats...always feel funny when I wear it, as I didn't have any ZT knives. Now the hat feels a little more justified haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm
Thanks Paul, really looking forward to how it performs after a little TLC. So far it feels like a steal at that price! Found a tiny scratch at the butt of the knife near the lanyard hole and another tiny one on the pocket clip. $100 off for those minor blemishes, sign me up all day long! It reminds me of the WE Knives Wisp that I had for a while, just a little bigger and fills out the hand better. Guess I have a thing for this blade shape and knife style when it comes to non Spyderco knives. I bought a Gray/Black ZT hat last year, as I like the colors and fitted hats...always feel funny when I wear it, as I didn't have any ZT knives. Now the hat feels a little more justified haha!
You killed it Rick. That price for a freakin QUALITY knife is awesome. Btw, I love fitted hats as well. I'd love to get a look at that ZT hat!
I love when the World Baseball Tourney rolls around. I still have a fitted Team New Zealand New Era hat.
I also love Minor League hats as well.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48 pm
Yowzer! That's gorgeous. I have been tempted by TRM knives, but so far for me "once you go spydiehole, you never go back." I mostly just want mid backlocks too. That looks really good and so well made.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Nice, glad to see you fill out the Mora collection!

I have all of those and a stainless companion, then all my wood handled Frost and Erik Frost knives accumulated over decades.

I think that i've told you before that i wish i had the orange Kansbol, but bought before those existed. Not gonna duplicate for cosmetics. My green one has a bit of Day glo and GITD cord on it. I like orange handled woods knives.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Looks great Rick! I carried mine again today. Cut up a couple boxes in the garage with it. It slices cardboard fine. I just touched up the edge on the SM. It was sharp before but it's really sharp now. I still can't get over how smooth the action is on it. I'm kind of surprised to hear the previous owner of yours felt the need to lube the pivot. I unlock mine and it closes with just a little shake.

For $155 I think you got a great deal. Same price I got mine for along with that 0809 that USA Made Blades anodized blue/green. That's another ZT I think you'd like. Same basic size and blade stock thickness as the 0470. I wouldn't pay the asking price for one but if you can find another deal like you did I'd think hard about not passing that one up either.

Like you, I'm not really interested in the overbuilt ZTs. However, I saw this 0801Ti on sale and ended up buying it. I thought it was smaller like the 0808. Just a newer version. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find this tank haha. I actually really like it. It's a bit on the heavy side but it actually carries well. About the same size as the Shaman but the blade isn't as tall and it has more edge length

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48 pm
Looks nice! Three Rivers Atom? Their Neutron looks like it would be a good fit for me. I'm about maxed out on knives though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Yup. It's a slicy one! Neutron wasn't quite for me, but the Atom is a keeper.

The 0801 is a great chunk of metal, I hope you enjoy it!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Nice, glad to see you fill out the Mora collection!

I have all of those and a stainless companion, then all my wood handled Frost and Erik Frost knives accumulated over decades.

I think that i've told you before that i wish i had the orange Kansbol, but bought before those existed. Not gonna duplicate for cosmetics. My green one has a bit of Day glo and GITD cord on it. I like orange handled woods knives.
Moras are great! I mean, what can they not do? I used the Kansbol for a one knife challenge for the month of November, with the Urban as my work knife. No belt knives at the office... anyway, the Kansbol really performed well for everything I need a knife for, in the kitchen, as well as light batoning kindling prep. While bigger than I want for a lot of the carving challenges, it did just fine. I don’t sharpen to maintain a scandi zero grind, I just set the Sharpmaker at 15 dps and put a razor edge on it. Easy-peasy.

I really do like the orange Kansbol. I tend to like earth / fall colors in general, and that burned orange (as well as that of the rex45 sprints) is really appealing to me. But agreed, I like brighter handle colors in the woods!

My 8-yo twin girls have the stainless companions. The Garberg and Eldris are both new to me this month, so no experience yet.

Kinda crazy that everything in that picture cost less than a single Golden Spyderco sprint!