Would you pay up-front for a Forum knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 80

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A Forum knife is a pretty niche production run, and a big ask of Spyderco, particularly if take-up turns out to be indifferent and inventory hangs around a long time.

Pre-ordering through SFO, obviously with the model/spec known, might make the process easier and more certain for Spyderco.

Would you be prepared to pay up-front?
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Re: Would you pay up-front for a Forum knife?

Post by Wartstein »

If I at least can live with the choosen model,yes.

Or, to put it better, if the choosen forum knife is one I´d get anyway, it would not matter to me if I pay up front or later for it
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

Interesting & good idea.

I voted Yes. But model & material specs really need to be known and frozen upfront. If they match my personal "collecting algorhythm" and are affordable.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd be happy to pay up front for any knife chosen as the next Spyderco Forum Knife. Model, materials, and cost don't enter into it for me. I have every Spyderco Forum knife offered, to date, and consider them to be display pieces and a sub-collection within my collection, so my normal prejudices vis-a-vis locks, steels, and handle materials don't apply.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes, provided I know what I will be getting.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Like most have said, if knew up front exactly what it was going to be, I'd be fine paying now and receiving the knife at some point in the future. I'd really want to see a prototype or mock up at least.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m with Deacon, it really wouldn’t matter what model or materials it is. The fact that Spyderco did something special for us is enough.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I would but like many others have said, I would want to know the model and materials. Not concerned with the colors though.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:08 am
I agree.
It would be great if Spyderco could ship all the EU knives to a dealer/person/entity and all the shipping inside the EU would be handled by that entity. That way you could reduce a lot of problems with customs.
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:39 am
The Meat man wrote:
I agree.
It would be great if Spyderco could ship all the EU knives to a dealer/person/entity and all the shipping inside the EU would be handled by that entity. That way you could reduce a lot of problems with customs.
I second that, if this would be possible I wouldn’t mind putting down money up front.
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like any other knife it depends on the knife and combo. I wouldn't throw down money on any unknown knife regardless of being a forum knife or sprint or exclusive or whatever. If Spyderco came out and said hey we have this forum knife planned but to make it we need X amount of buyers to pay up front before we can start production, I would be ok with that, but again it would still depend on what I'm buying.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yes, and I think this is a very good idea. Otherwise, there's the risk they sell out too quickly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:43 am
Yes, and I think this is a very good idea. Otherwise, there's the risk they sell out too quickly.

That risk is probably still there since the sale would likely be handled the same as a sprint or pre-order system unless they just made X amount based on exactly how many were ordered. There would probably still need to be a minimum number ordered. It would be cool if they did a forum knife similar to how they did the Bug pendants but that was a much simpler (and less expensive/less risky) item to manufacture.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:28 am
Like any other knife it depends on the knife and combo. I wouldn't throw down money on any unknown knife regardless of being a forum knife or sprint or exclusive or whatever. If Spyderco came out and said hey we have this forum knife planned but to make it we need X amount of buyers to pay up front before we can start production, I would be ok with that, but again it would still depend on what I'm buying.
Exactly!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

tonijedi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I agree.
Great point! It would mean a lot to me!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 am
tonijedi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
I agree.
Great point! It would mean a lot to me!

Same here
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Heck yes I am all in for crowdsourcing! No downside for anyone.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm game, so long as it's a knife I want.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The big question is, would Spyderco be willing to do it that way. I don't think they would. The idea has come up before (group buy) and they said no for many reasons.

It would be easier to find a dealer willing to accept responsibility for collecting all the money and then commissioning an exclusive. But unless they were willing to do so at little or no profit to themselves, I don't know if Spyderco would go along with marking it as a "Spyderco Forum" knife.

The Traditional subforum on Bladeforums has done a forum knife every year since 2006. It has been an industrial pain in the butt every year, and I've learned a lot about the pitfalls involved. I've paid up front for each one since 2007, and another member sold me a 2006 to complete the set. I've actually liked three or four of them enough to carry, the rest are still sitting in their wrappers. On the other hand, I don't have any of the Spyderco Forum knives. Too expensive for something that doesn't interest me.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I agree with Yab^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb