First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Re: First Spyderco knife to obtain in 2020?

Post by Sonorum »

The dragonfly wharncliffe very closely followed by the spyderedged endela
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TINCUP59 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:15 am
Well New to Spyderco and the forum! Im going to say Native 5 Salt LC200N!!! Like stated this was my first spyderco, i had other cheaper folders, and wanted to step up my EDC game. I was wondering if Price was worth it for just FRN and steel? Well i say a Big **** yeah!! i Can not describe how much i like this knife, Fit and finish are outstanding and as some have mentioned, the Function is just getting better with use.

I was traveling to Florida for vacation so this combo fit in Perfect! i had sand in it, cut up multiple items, Food Prep, you name it. Every time i wash it off Still looks and feels like New. the LC200N has really impressed me so far...

I Like you wanted a USA made knife specifically!! And after being on this forum and seeing how the Owners interacted i was all in. Since then i purchased a Shaman St. Nicks 4V!!!! have not unboxed it yet. im not a collector so this will pry be my extent of Spyderco purchases but i bought them to use not look at, Hopefully... That is why i went with these specific Steels.
Welcome to the forum!

Two very good Spydies you have! :)
But tbh: I have a feeling you´ll get some more eventually... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:57 am
Great choice! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Technically not the whole knife, but I ordered some Delica scales from BOOMER52 for my last Spyderco of 2019.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Hatchethawk and a police lightweight that was a leftover gift from Xmas. Neither of which I was really intending on owning, but both are very nice.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:30 pm
Sonorum wrote:
I sure hope so! I knew you'd find the Endela here ;)
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sonorum wrote:
Endela SE I´ll find ANYWHERE!! ;)

Please report back how you like it, if you want (maybe in the Endela-thread viewtopic.php?t=83925)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 am
Sonorum wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sonorum wrote:
Endela SE I´ll find ANYWHERE!! ;)

Please report back how you like it, if you want (maybe in the Endela-thread viewtopic.php?t=83925)
I will!
/ David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dammmm, I want to buy a new knife.....but this waiting for new Reveal is killing me.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I'm waiting for the new black and white chapparal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

buckleys wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 am
I'm waiting for the new black and white chapparal
... sun and moon, and I am waiting for it either! :)
90grains

Post by 90grains »

Just local ordered my first Spyderco - PM2 DLC Digital Camo. New to the forums as well.
carrot

Post by carrot »

That'd be the SE Endela, thanks to Wartstein. It's in my pocket today. I'm going to hold out for new models for my next purchase though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm
That'd be the SE Endela, thanks to Wartstein. It's in my pocket today. I'm going to hold out for new models for my next purchase though.

I sure hope you like it... Did you actually CUT stuff already with the Endela SE? Cause this is where it really shines, just amazing, even in more "plain edge" considered tasks...

Just try to cut various stuff: Tomatoes, cardboard, whittling away big junks of wood, whatever...

And I´d also be interested in how you like the subtly refined ergos - compared to the Endura less pronounced "points" between the finger grooves and a tad more handfilling...
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:54 pm
carrot wrote:

I sure hope you like it... Did you actually CUT stuff already with the Endela SE? Cause this is where it really shines, just amazing, even in more "plain edge" considered tasks...

Just try to cut various stuff: Tomatoes, cardboard, whittling away big junks of wood, whatever...

And I´d also be interested in how you like the subtly refined ergos - compared to the Endura less pronounced "points" between the finger grooves and a tad more handfilling...
Only opened a few boxes so far, it just arrived last night. My compliments to the maker; this is the sharpest Seki I've gotten in years.

I've been carrying a Para 3 LW SE up til now which I really like, but since I often carry un-clipped at the bottom of my pocket I've had a few near-accidents because of the light detent. I've honestly found SE to be a great EDC edge. Since the Endela is one of the few fully serrated, full flat grind models, it was a good choice to step up to when looking for a stronger self-closing bias.

Versus the Endura, the handles certainly are an improvement, though I've never found the Endura to be especially uncomfortable (nor especially comfortable). I do also prefer the slightly shorter blade for easier tip control.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:54 pm
carrot wrote:

Only opened a few boxes so far, it just arrived last night. My compliments to the maker; this is the sharpest Seki I've gotten in years.

I've been carrying a Para 3 LW SE up til now which I really like, but since I often carry un-clipped at the bottom of my pocket I've had a few near-accidents because of the light detent. I've honestly found SE to be a great EDC edge. Since the Endela is one of the few fully serrated, full flat grind models, it was a good choice to step up to when looking for a stronger self-closing bias.

Versus the Endura, the handles certainly are an improvement, though I've never found the Endura to be especially uncomfortable (nor especially comfortable). I do also prefer the slightly shorter blade for easier tip control.

Thanks for the quick reply!! :)

I really think the Endela SE is a knife both for "knife afis" who can appreciate a great cutting tool in depth, but also for "non-knife people" who "just" need a really good knife for their toolbox (given they can sharpen serrations of course)

/ On the ergos: For me the Endura 4 ergos are almost perfect already, the Endelas maybe slightly even more so. Not a huge improvement, but certainly noticeable.
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

I don't get serrated blades (if SE stands for "serrated").
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:58 am
I don't get serrated blades (if SE stands for "serrated").

"SE" stands for serrated indeed..

And what do you mean by "you don´t get serrated blades"?
Did you ever really try a spyderedged knife (so a serrated SPYDERCO knife, ideally in full flat grind)?

For me it works better in most tasks than a plain edge. And if you know how (and have a sharpmaker) is even a bit easier to sharpen

Endela SE would be a perfect choice to look into serrations! Amazing cutter, high quality, still rather affordable...
Tapik

Post by Tapik »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 am

Did you ever really try a spyderedged knife (so a serrated SPYDERCO knife, ideally in full flat grind)?

For me it works better in most tasks than a plain edge. And if you know how (and have a sharpmaker) is even a bit easier to sharpen

Endela SE would be a perfect choice to look into serrations! Amazing cutter, high quality, still rather affordable...
I just prefer clean cuts and I never liked how serrated blade cut through stuff :) it's just a personal preference.

As for a choice, i tried a few knives and still waiting while my local store bring Chaparral for test, so I can finally made a decision and get a knife.

I really liked Kapara, but it's way too expensive :)
Endura wharncliffe looked really nice, but maybe way too big for my hands (Endela wharncliffe would be exelent, but... I have to wait for that) :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tapik wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 am

I just prefer clean cuts and I never liked how serrated blade cut through stuff :) it's just a personal preference.

That´s fine of course! :)

But let me say: Since you are new to Spyderco, you actually never tried a spyderedged knife, so never serrations the way Spyderco does them!
There is really a HUGE difference in cutting performance when it comes to SE blades, depending on how the serrations are done - even among Spydercos own serrated models, but generally you really can´t compare Spyderco serrations to anything you probably know from cheap knives! The former are a LOT better, it´s really something totally different imho

Really, the Endela SE can do PERFECTLY clean cuts, believe me! I use knives a lot in various tasks, and for a long time almost exlusivly plain edged Spydercos. But know the Endela SE is my favorite cutting tool for almost any task (the Pacific Salt SE is also very good, but a bit more "aggressive")

Do yourself a favor and try the Endela SE! (Or maybe a Delica wharncliff SE) - you won´t regret it!