What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

All factories are pretty busy these days so if we can do it, it will be a squeeze. Golden is probably best because we can make smaller runs.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 am
What would it take for us to get a 2020 forum knife?

As to which knife, a UKPK would be good for everyone. I wouldn’t mind a Lil Native backlock though.

I think a Shamon would be nice and different. :)
Ribstabsheart

Post by Ribstabsheart »

Yes! I would take one, maybe a native or shaman if we have to go Golden. Or flippin' anything!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Damasteel mule and you would have the option of purchasing special set of scales only for forumites, buy or make your own.

Could be a nice affordable way to reach out and also get more attention for blades you can only get from SFO?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bolstered Crucarta Shaman?
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Count me in on the UKPK. For reasons already stated, I think the UKPK would the most logical choice for a Forum Knife 2020. G10 any color other than black and a good steel.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Brown G10 Cruwear drop point UKPK would be lovely too.

Or K390 otherwise same.
Last edited by Enactive on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Para 3 LW or UKPK in k390 or 4v? Ivory scales? A light beige? White? A pastel/pale green blue or yellow?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PStone wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm
Can I suggest the possibility/option of having our forum names etched into the blades? Like happened with the Forum Bugs? To me this would make it even more cool and personal. I think even your join date added too could be over the top cool.
Sweet suggestion. Brown G10 drop point UKPK in K390 or Cruwear? Broken record now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

As to which knife, a UKPK would be good for everyone. I wouldn’t mind a Lil Native backlock though.

Yes. The issues are cost and the most people being able to get one. This is 2020 so this should be something affordable and legal for as many as possible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:42 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Yes. The issues are cost and the most people being able to get one. This is 2020 so this should be something affordable and legal for as many as possible.

Given that lock thread I dunno if that UKPK would really sell all that well here in the States anyway. Or most places outside of the UK for that matter.

I just don't know if a slip joint would sell all that well as a forum knife.

Something like a PM3 would be legal for MOST people or maybe a Chaparral.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Given that lock thread I dunno if that UKPK would really sell all that well here in the States anyway.

Ankerson, I think you´re right..

I personally am a bit torn on that

- Of course I grant everyone a forum knife, that can be carried legal wherever he or she might live!!

- Still, I have to be honest here: I think I just could not bring myself to carry a non-locking-knife.
Not saying that the UKPK is bad, not even that it NEEDS a lock (I am sure it does not, especially cause its meant to held with a finger in the choil anyway)
Non locking is still just not for me. Might be, cause my little country (Austria) is like an Island of GREAT knife laws (I can carry whatever I choose to), literally sourrounded by countries with not-so-good to crazy laws (for example Germany, where even a DFly is not legal...) - and I am so gratefull for that, that I just have to make use of that great laws...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:26 am
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Given that lock thread I dunno if that UKPK would really sell all that well here in the States anyway.

- Of course I grant everyone a forum knife, that can be carried legal wherever he or she might live!!

- Still, I have to be honest here: I think I just could not bring myself to carry a non-locking-knife.
Not saying that the UKPK is bad, not even that it NEEDS a lock (I am sure it does not, especially cause its meant to held with a finger in the choil anyway)
Non locking is still just not for me. Might be, cause my little country (Austria) is like an Island of GREAT knife laws (I can carry whatever I choose to), literally sourrounded by countries with not-so-good to crazy laws (for example Germany, where even a DFly is not legal...) - and I am so gratefull for that, that I just have to make use of that great laws...

Given only 6 people voted for.. "Wait, you guys use locking knives?".... I don't think that would go over very well.

Personally if I buy a slip joint these days it would be an SAK or a Traditional like a Barlow or Stockman or something like that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Given only 6 people voted for.. "Wait, you guys use locking knives?".... I don't think that would go over very well.

Personally if I buy a slip joint these days it will be an SAK or a Traditional like a Barlow or Stockman or something like that.

I agree once more! For me one of the things Spyderco is about, are greatly executed and designed locks...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Personally if I buy a slip joint these days it will be an SAK or a Traditional like a Barlow or Stockman or something like that.

I agree once more! For me one of the things Spyderco is about, are greatly executed and designed locks...

I agree with you. :)

It's really up to Spyderco in the end however to roll the dice Soto speak.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

A Forum knife has to be a small fixed blade this time.......

A Mule full tang G10 handles one red one black.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A fixed blade mule with scales would still be affordable, I would think.

What we have to think of is currency exchange rates, import duties, and etc. also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Back lock Manix 2, micarta scales
Li'l native, micarta scales or
UKPK with.. wait for it - micarta scales :)
Love the idea of forum name etch/engraving!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I agree with you. :)

It's really up to Spyderco in the end however to roll the dice Soto speak.
I agree with all this, guys. I'd want a locking knife. Isn't there another british forum that sometimes gets a forum knife? I feel like that's the place for a UKPK forum knife.

Edit: I would be on board with a smaller knife, though. A chap or lil native. Or delica, para 3, sage 5, etc. Lw or not.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I would also prefer a locking knife but I can't presume to know whether the UKPK would be popular or not. I would probably not buy one.
With Sal's guidance it sounds like sticking to Golden is the way to go.